This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast and efficient=rude, apparently

This happened to my coworker. She was working a Saturday in the cafe, by herself on the busiest day of the week. The line was so long, and we can call for help, but since we've been running on a skeleton crew for so long, I'm not surprised no one responded. So, knowing her, she did the best she could, and went as fast as possible. I've known her 7 years, and I am FAR more likely to snap at someone or be perceived as angry. I look up to her because she remains calm always. So some sucktomer decided because she wasn't chatty enough--ie was trying to move fast and get the line down--she was rude, and complained. Since there was a complaint, she had to get pulled aside by the MOD.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hope she explained the circumstances to the MOD; good fast service or sharing life stories with each customer and getting loads of complaints on slow service? Sometimes you just can't win and it sucks.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

When I was a cashier at Wally World, I was pretty quick on the register. & many times I'd get thse idiots who would complain that I was going too fast. There'd be these huge lines & they wanted to complain that I was moving too quick? I wasn't paid to stand there & talk to them about everything under the sun. Although that's what it seemed like. & on a weekend yet....jeez...lol.

Comment

I've gotten similar complaints. Because I'm fast at checking guests in, I apparently "just want to get rid of them" and it's "unfriendly". (Our company's goal is for it to not take longer than 2 minutes to check in a guest. I can usually do it in one.)
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Anyone else believe that if one did slow down, the SC's of the world would complain about that too?
          Cast in the name of Death, Ye not living.

Comment

I dunno....I can't recall of anyone complaining about me going too fast on a cash register. I have gotten lots of remarks about how fast I get sometimes (to the point of having to sack groceries too because on those days none of the baggers want to bag for me and I do that fast too cause I used to be one) but no one has ever really complained specifically about my speediness.

Sometimes, when I'm scanning a customer's groceries, depending on what they have it's hard to get into a groove, so when I try to be speedy, I'll sometimes accidentally mishandle some stuff (ie dropping things mostly but nothing breakable), but even then most customers either don't notice or don't care.

I may have mentioned this once shortly after I joined, but I did have a customer complain once when I worked at a fast food joint about his food being ready too quickly.

Comment

One of my favorite sayings at work has always been, "Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right?" It's really meant as a joke because I can do both.

Complaining that someone rang up your groceries too fast is just another way of finding something--anything--to complain about. Some people have no life, I guess.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, I did talk to her, as I'd heard it second-hand. So, in cafe we are the cashier, food prepper, server, and dining attendant. She did get some help from a newer coworker, who got to the point of ordering her around. OK, she's been doing this at least 7 years. So she was running her butt off trying to serve food and make more, getting ordered by a coworker young enough to be her grandson, and some sucktomer still complained. Ugh. At least it wasn't a written warning or anything. My coworker went beyond the manager who pulled her aside and talked to the store mngr, saying we need more people to run a restaurant. Several of us have been saying it for YEARS. Annnd the response was--again--"we don't have the payroll." And this is why I will no longer stress myself out. If there are too many customers, and I run out of some kind of food, they will have to wait even longer. So will the people behind them who just want drinks. The dining room will have to stay a disaster. I only wish we'd have a corporate food visit then, so they can see how it really is.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

When I'm on the register, I don't make small talk with customers because I want to get them in and out as fast as possible. Plus I like to keep the transaction time down, too.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I think my gf has the same problem as the SC. She doesn't like it when I'm fast and efficiant.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Having corporate visit wouldn't solve anything unless it was completely unannounced. You just know that if they said anything about coming, you'd suddenly have ten people working with you.
                      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        I think my gf has the same problem as the SC. She doesn't like it when I'm fast and efficiant.
                        I hope you're not being so fast and efficient that you fail to deliver the desired product to the customer
                        "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                        "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                        My MySpace
                        My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                        X