This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pissed of handicapped parker

One of my job duties as a porter for the parking company I work for is to issue parking violations at the surface lot I am responsible for cleaning on a daily basis. Parking violations for non payment or for an expired receipt. There is a pay machine located at the parking lot, and I have to pull a report from the pay machine indicating which parking spots are paid for and which parking spots have expired receipts.

I have to use a handheld machine and a handheld printer to input the information for the parking violations. The machine and the printer are located at the garage office at one of the parking garages my employer manages.

While I was logging into the machine, a female customer using a cane walks into the office. I was up front logging into the machine. She asks the front office staff if there is any more handicapped parking spots in the garage because the handicapped spots on the first level are full. Here is what happened.

front office employee: "The only handicapped parking spots we have are on the first level."
    female customer: "Well those parking spots are full."
    front office employee: "The handicapped parking spots are on a first come first serve basis."
    female customer: "This is ridiculous. I cannot park because the handicapped spots are full. I have a reserved handicapped parking tag, and I need to park."
    front office employee: "The handicapped parking spots are on a first come first serve basis."
    female customer: "But those handicapped parking spots are full. I have a reserved handicapped parking tag, and I need to park."
    front office employee: "Anyone having a handicapped parking tag can park in the handicapped spots. The customers parking in those spots have a handicapped parking tag just like you do."
    female customer: "So are you telling me that the garage is overbooked?"
    front office employee: "No. There are enough handicapped parking spots for the public. Those spots happen to be full right now."
    female customer: "Then I will just have to complain somewhere else about this. This is ridiculous."

She leaves.

The other front office staff employee then says "Didn't she complain about the same thing last week?"

The response from the front office staff employee who dealt with the female customer...

"yes"

So, she wants them to pull an additional handicapped parking spot out of where, exactly???

(Yes, yes, I know the answer, but we all know it doesn't really work that way!)

What did she want you to do? Kick those other customers out? Maybe she should get her ass in gear earlier in the day so she can get to the garage before those other people.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Was there some reason she couldn't park in a non-handicapped spot?
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        Was there some reason she couldn't park in a non-handicapped spot?
        Probably not the case with this particular person, but if she needs any mobility aids, regular spaces aren't likely to have enough space to get her out of the car. When my youngest son is having a wheelchair day, I absolutely must park in a handicapped spot with the access aisle on the side of the vehicle he's sitting on. If he's having a walker day, handicapped spaces with the access aisle on the wrong side are still large enough, and some regular spaces are large enough, but most aren't. If he's having a good day, and he's walking unassisted, then we can use regular spaces, but sometimes if I park too far away he "runs out of steps", and we suddenly find ourselves having a walker or wheelchair day.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

We have this happen at work. We have more than we are legally required to, and on busy weekends they fill up (as does the rest of the lot) and someone inevitably comes to complain. And of course they're too cheap to accept our offers to valet their car.

I've also seen this at our charging station. One guest wanted me to track down the person who had parked their car their to charge it, because he needed to charge his car that very second and how dare someone else be using the station! They needed to move! If it was just a conventional car taking up the charging station parking spot then it would be legit, but the car there before him was also an electric car that was plugged in and using the station first. This guy got into a fit over that. Dude, other people do have electric cars...
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

How is the paid parking lot any different from say, a store's parking lot? Short answer, it's not. It's all first come, first served. Just because you have a handicap tag/placard/plate, doesn't mean a rip in the space-time continuum is going to open up and place a spot just for you.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

By "reserved", do you mean she had a monthly parking pass, rather than being a "drop-in" paying by the day? If so, why can't they mark one of the handicapped spaces as being reserved for parking pass XXXX?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                By "reserved", do you mean she had a monthly parking pass, rather than being a "drop-in" paying by the day? If so, why can't they mark one of the handicapped spaces as being reserved for parking pass XXXX?
                Probably because there's always that off-chance that someone else who DOES need a disabled park pulls in, finds they're all full, discovers this one reserved spot and absolutely NEEDS to use it, before he then claims discrimination.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  I believe she had a handicapped parking pass, not a monthly parking pass.

That is the impression that the office staff got from her.

Comment

Apparently she could park in a regular spot and come complain to you though.
                    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

As somebody who can legally use handicap parking, I had to facepalm when I read the OP's post. Because see.. if there is no handicap parking available, there is no handicap parking available. I have lost count of the times that I pull into a parking lot, and find no handicap spot available. You want to know what that means? It means I am parking somewhere else, and having to deal with it. Like an adult. Of course I have two caring caregivers who will help me by getting a shopping cart or electric cart if my legs are especially bad that day, but even if I am by myself, I just struggle until I can get to a mobility accessory.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        I used to work in a major metropolitan city, one of the biggest in the US, and due to the nature of my job, I had to drive to work about 75% of the time. I had a monthly parking pass (paid for by my employer) at the garage closest to our office, but just because I had the pass didn't guarantee that they would have a spot available for me to park in; it meant if they had a spot, it was already paid for. I knew that on certain days of the week, if I got there after a certain point of the day, I ran a high risk of not being able to park. Fortunately, I was able to work my schedule around this (something my boss knew and appreciated), but that was the way it worked. Parking is at a high-premium, and unless someone is willing to pay beaucoup bucks for a designated, reserved spot then, even with a parking pass, it wasn't a guarantee you'd get a spot.

Comment

Quoth justhere View Post
                          I used to work in a major metropolitan city, one of the biggest in the US, and due to the nature of my job, I had to drive to work about 75% of the time. I had a monthly parking pass (paid for by my employer) at the garage closest to our office, but just because I had the pass didn't guarantee that they would have a spot available for me to park in; it meant if they had a spot, it was already paid for. I knew that on certain days of the week, if I got there after a certain point of the day, I ran a high risk of not being able to park. Fortunately, I was able to work my schedule around this (something my boss knew and appreciated), but that was the way it worked. Parking is at a high-premium, and unless someone is willing to pay beau coup bucks for a designated, reserved spot then, even with a parking pass, it wasn't a guarantee you'd get a spot.
                          Something my direct supervisor told his staff, including me regarding the monthly parking passes that our employer issues to customers....

According to the contract that our employer writes up regarding the monthly parking pass if you buy a pass for non-reserved parking, your pass is good for a non-reserved parking spot. No where in the contract does it state that your pass is good for a non-reserved parking spot located in a specific parking garage.

But clients and customers will get pissy because 1) someone else parked in the non-reserved parking spot that they have been parking in, 2) the garage that they have been parking in has no available non-reserved parking spots since every non-reserved parking spot is full, and so 3) they had to park in a different garage.

One particular client complained about this, and upper management referred them to the section of the contract for each employee. Those employees were transferred to another garage managed by my employer.

Comment

Quoth justhere View Post
                            I had a monthly parking pass (paid for by my employer) at the garage closest to our office, but just because I had the pass didn't guarantee that they would have a spot available for me to park in; it meant if they had a spot, it was already paid for. I knew that on certain days of the week, if I got there after a certain point of the day, I ran a high risk of not being able to park.
                            In other words, the garage had X spaces, and sold Y monthly parking passes. Despite this, they didn't cut off "drop-ins" once (X-Y) had already arrived (i.e. enough to fill all the spaces not accounted for by monthly parking passes), so that someone could arrive and find that the space THEY PAID FOR was not available. To me, that sounds like fraud - selling more parking spaces than they have available.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I thought I'd put this here so that folks would know that not everyone tries to abuse handicapped spots. I had to go to the mall to pick up one thing a couple of days before Christmas. I already know I'm an idiot for not planning properly, please don't hurt me!

So, I followed a very young looking person driving a car with handicapped plates into the packed parking lot. I know about hidden disabilities so didn't think twice about it until she drove past the open handicapped spots out to the south 40 and parked there. (Did I mention that it was sleeting and just icky outside? Well, yes, it was.) She got out and sprinted for the mall entrance.

I saw her later in the same store I had gone to and commented on how considerate she was to leave the handicapped spots open for people who couldn't run that far. She told me that she was driving her grandmother's car and that if her grandmother learned that she had parked in a handicapped spot she would have been beaten to death with a walker.

Comment

Working...
                              X