This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One item only

I had finished my shopping and I was queueing at the till behind a smiling elderly lady while the cashier (a new girl) was helping a couple who was having some problems with their credit card. All nice and polite though, that went fine.

Behind me arrives a woman holding a single loaf of bread. She asks demands that I let her go through as she has only one item and I had several (I had a dozen or so). I shrug and let her pass, and the nice lady in front of me lets her through as well.

This woman sets her loaf of bread down and starts huffing and puffing while the cashier is still busy with the couple. As we (all) wait, arrives a man with two handbaskets FULL of stuff. He makes a beeline for the "loaf of bread" woman, and empties his baskets next to the bread. From "only one item" to a sizable shopping trip.

Just in that moment, the cashier had finished solving the problem that couple had (again - it looked and sounded all nice. Technical issue, cashier not very experienced, patient and understanding customers). Before she even starts scanning the "loaf-woman" items, the elderly lady in front of me starts. Beware the nice ones, indeed.

EL (Elderly Lady) "You asked us to go through saying you had a single item and now you have a lot of stuff. Are you not even ashamed?"
    LW (Loaf Woman) doesn't react.
    EL "Hey, I'm talking to you. You danced in, put yourself in front of an older woman and a man who has clear issues standing {note: I had some pretty painful problems with my feet, all nearly fine now} and now pretend you don't even hear me? You are NOT AN HONEST PERSON."
    I was watching the play unfold, while the cashier seemed somehow nervous and called the Shop Manager. The Manager arrives.
    SM (Shop Manager) "What seems to be the problem, [Cashier]?"
    LW "That woman is insulting me."
    EL "The cheek!"
    (they explain the situation)
    SM "I'm afraid there is nothing I can do, but {stares at LW} please refrain from this kind of behaviour."

Once LW had left, EL apologised to the Cashier for having caused a scene "But she deserved it".
    Last edited by C. Cecil Ivanish; 09-21-2013, 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Good for elderly lady! The more people get called on their bad behaviour, the better chance they will think twice the next time. I can only wish I get the guts to make a scene in public, to stand up to strangers like that one day.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Sadly, this is why I have a few more rules about letting people in front of me. The one item thing is just no longer enough. It becomes more situational (is the person nice, do they need the cut due to issues, am I able to stand longer), but the one fixed rule is, if it's a belt register, forget it. I will not let ANYONE cut in front of me for any reason at a belted register. Most places have SCOs and/or express lanes for that purpose. Go to one of them.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Thanks to this post, the last time I let someone with "just one item" cut in front of me will BE the last time, in perpetuity! No more cuts in front of THIS GUY!
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

Only times I asked to cut in line was when on a timed lunch and had 2 items vs their 10. I was polite and the let me through. Another when I had to leave but had to grab something. Again, polite. That was years ago. I have since brought food from home or bought it on my first break.

Comment

Fortunately, most people are reasonably polite when they ask to cut ahead of me, and while I mentally may be annoyed, I'm quite civil and accommodating. Besides, I've had people tell me to go ahead of them when I had just a couple items. I figure it's good karma.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeeeah, you're nicer than me. If Loaf Woman had come up behind me and asked to squeeze in front because she has "one item only," then that would have been one thing. But the second her crony showed up with a huge load to cut in front of me, I'd have called them on it.

LW was a rude bitch and deserved the bollocking (that's the term the Brits use, right?) she got for it.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                Fortunately, most people are reasonably polite when they ask to cut ahead of me, and while I mentally may be annoyed, I'm quite civil and accommodating. Besides, I've had people tell me to go ahead of them when I had just a couple items. I figure it's good karma.
                I had a nice lady offer to let me go ahead of her while I was grabbing snacks for my break today (a can of soda and a croissant), and I made sure to thank her three times for letting me go first.

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
                  Once LW had left, EL apologised to the Cashier for having caused a scene "But she deserved it".
                  Yes, she did, and kudos to EL for trying to teach LW a lesson. Pity it didn't sink in, but you'd need concrete drilling equipment to get through a thick skull like that.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

For the guy joining the Loaf -- "No way. I let HER through, not you. Back of the line!" -- If he protests that they're together : "That's fine. she can join you where she started - at the back of the line."
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                      Good for elderly lady! The more people get called on their bad behaviour, the better chance they will think twice the next time.
                      Here's to hoping, but I don't think it works too well on average...

Quoth raudf View Post
                      Sadly, this is why I have a few more rules about letting people in front of me. The one item thing is just no longer enough. It becomes more situational (is the person nice, do they need the cut due to issues, am I able to stand longer), but the one fixed rule is, if it's a belt register, forget it.
                      That should be my rule too. She was not particularly nice, I did have some issues standing and it was a belt register. Admittedly the "7 items or less" registers were mobbed, but in that supermarket they make sure that the fastest cashiers man them so they are indeed quite speedy.

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      I've had people tell me to go ahead of them when I had just a couple items. I figure it's good karma.
                      Me too. Hm. Usually it is in a different supermarket though (I shop at three different outlets, depending on what I need to buy/how much in a hurry I am).

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      LW was a rude bitch and deserved the bollocking (that's the term the Brits use, right?) she got for it.
                      It is indeed, and she did.

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      I had a nice lady offer to let me go ahead of her while I was grabbing snacks for my break today (a can of soda and a croissant), and I made sure to thank her three times for letting me go first.
                      That's my standard too - thank the person immediately, after I set down the item on the belt and once I'm done paying, while I leave.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      For the guy joining the Loaf -- "No way. I let HER through, not you. Back of the line!"
                      Aye, would have made sense...
                      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        For the guy joining the Loaf -- "No way. I let HER through, not you. Back of the line!" -- If he protests that they're together : "That's fine. she can join you where she started - at the back of the line."
                        Exactly this! If she'd tried this crap after I let her in front of me I'd make sure I got back in front of her, period!
                        Last edited by EricKei; 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM. Reason: comma comma comma comma comma chameleon...

Comment

And this is why I don't let people in front of me. I've not experienced it myself but I'd imagine it's a common tactic.

I hope there's a nice warm place in Heck for those people...or at least Ohio.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            That's exactly what I would have done too.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                              And this is why I don't let people in front of me. I've not experienced it myself but I'd imagine it's a common tactic.

I hope there's a nice warm place in Heck for those people...or at least Ohio.
                              Hey now... don't saddle us with all of them. Share that love around.

Comment

Working...
                              X