No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're a little miffed at an area hospital now (which shall go unnammed)...

Bro's wifey went in for what was planned to be one of her last follow-up visits after defeating breast cancer (was preparing to get implants after her mastectomy recovery). Long story short, this resulted in her having to go in for emergency cancer surgery via a mastectomy yesterday, on just a few days' notice, in another hospital nearby.

The local hospital had, and consistently has had, 100% masking for staff and patients alike. The one she had to go to for surgery...did not. Not even for the nurses and doctors O_O He said that, at best, there was maybe 80% compliance even among staff.

</rant over>

(For the record, he complained both in person and on FB, tho he elected not to name names -- he just wants to situation to improve -- and the administration at said facility is doing something about it)
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Wishing a speedy recovery for your sister-in-law EricKei.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Thanks!

UPDATE: Turns out it was pre-cancerous cells, but enough so that the surgery still needed to happen. That was last night. Today, I asked her how she was doing. She replied "Like I just had an organ removed." Yup, she's one of us. ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Masks are now mandated in my state and I'm over the moon. I've been doing it for almost 4 months so no issue for me. I feel better about going to work but of course it's still a liquidation and that's annoying. Any tips from those who have been through it are appreciated. It is freeing to not have to care as much about certain things, although some of my coworkers still do a lot of extra stuff they don't need to, as if the company isn't closing.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I saw that Food Lady. It has caused me to change up my plans. I was planning on going to Wisconsin on Sunday for my day off. Now I'll be headed with my tax dollars to Iowa instead. A side bonus is I can stop and visit my dad on the way. It's a one way conversation, but still a good thing to do.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Over here, from tomorrow masks will be recommended (not mandated) on public transport during peak hours. Nevertheless the director of the National Health Agency suggested that everybody should attempt to get themselves a packet of surgical masks "just in case".

The problem is that it is very, VERY hard to get hold of masks unless you pay super expensive prices for them (local 7-11's sell them for approx. 3 dollars PER PIECE). I for now have bought myself a neck halter (I think that's what they're called?) as it's better than nothing. My work has ordered some masks online so I hope I'll be able to buy some for us at cost price.
              Last edited by NorthernZel; 07-31-2020, 04:32 PM.
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• A mask (at least the style I can actually wear) helps me with summer allergies anyway, so by now it's second nature. Masks are mandated on public transit, but the problem is it's not being enforced. Enforcing in stores is also difficult...people come in with masks but then take them off their face and employees don't like being forced into a potential confrontation.

Zel, check out a company called SetWear. That's where I got my washable masks...not super-cheap but worth it.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• OK people, final warning before this one gets shut down. Things got a little heated, and I ended up deleting a bunch of posts. Someone was nice enough to start a thread over at Fratching about the mask debate, so if you wish to discuss it, please take it there. There's not a lot of activity there, and it wold be nice to see some.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• All I'll say about it is that I feared problems but there were none. I woke up with a headache and the left side of my nose stopped up and got nervous. That's not a usual allergy symptom for me. I get post-nasal drip. Well, given that I actually slept a full night and usually sleep on my left and back alternately, I can see how the left side would stuff up. I even took my temperature; it was the usual 97°. I then realized that since my eyes were itchy and burning, this had to be allergies. I headed to work and did the health inventory. It didn't list stuffy nose and I didn't have the other symptoms, and by then I'd responded to allergy meds so that confirmed that it was fine to work. I found from my second covid coworker that she lost weight, too--50 lbs in one month, whereas the other one lost 30. I have been worried that if I got sick I wouldn't be able to get groceries but they both tell me not to worry about that.
                    So here is the scoop on the bankruptcy: at the last minute they found a buyer but Covid made them back out. So a liquidation company took over and the plan was to close in September or October. But now there's news that some other company is buying assets to sell online under another name. So this Fall you might see Wharf Uno stuff online somewhere.
                    What it means for me is that the stores might be closed by the end of this month. So that's great with my mom coming here. I'm still going to have to find another 2nd job eventually in the midst of all this. Retailers aren't hiring as much as they would be. The mall has limited hours that don't fit with my day schedule. I guess I could do food delivery since the reason I need the money is to pay for my car which I bought in October 2019. At least I'm available weekends because the main gig is Mon.-Fri.

Comment

• So, government are having second thoughts about activating Phase 4 (full reopening except large venues) in a couple of weeks as planned, since we've had a small spike in new cases and the scientists would like to keep an eye on developments.

Meanwhile, the latest recommendations re: wearing masks in public transport are raising a debate.

Noone opposes these recommendations directly, but since ONLY surgical one-use paper masks are recommended (not re-usable cloth ones) and they are super expensive (about 3 USD/piece) people will always think twice before donning one ("is it reallly necessary right now...?")
                      (Note: official guidelines say that it is only recommended to wear a mask IF you travel during peak hours, IF your bus/train is full and IF you feel that it is impossible to keep a safe distance (3 feet)).

People are hoping that government is either handing out masks for free, or enforce a price cap so low-income families also can commute to/from work without getting financially ruined.

Personally I've got hold of 10 masks that I'm going to share with Lil' Zel when he starts going to school next week, I've bought some zip-loc bags that used masks can be kept in so we might be able to re-use them for about 3 days if only used during a short commute.
                      Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-05-2020, 09:55 PM.
                      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• If you're going to reuse, I would consider disinfecting between times. When I take off a "disposable" mask I intend to use again, I apply disinfectant spray and pop it into a ziploc-type baggie.

Where do you live that they're so expensive?
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Or are you opposed to fabric masks that can be washed? Not everyone knows how to sew but some people are selling them or giving them away.

Comment

• I prefer the disposable masks to the fabric ones. The fabric ones pull into my nose and mouth more when I breathe in so I feel like I'm suffocating. The paper disposable ones don't do that as much, so I find them more comfortable, even if I sweat more.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I discovered a not so fun fact last week. My partners and I went on a day long road trip to a ghost town, and part of it goes up into the mountains, MT Hood specifically, and there is a rest stop at government camp. It's high altitude, masks are required, and I found that I had a HELL of a time breathing up there already with my lung issues, and a mask and hot air didn't help. Oh that was not a fun time. I had all kinds of people asking me if I was ok, I just told them I didn't expect the thin air to affect me so much. Ugh not a good time. I do better at sea level.
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• I can feel the air is thin at high altitude but it doesn't bother me. It would someone with breathing problems for sure. I noticed after moving from CA to WI that cakes rise 1/3 lower here. I don't know if we're higher or lower here.

Comment

Working...
                                X