Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emmett takes a few more bites of pie and a sip of coffee while Aiden speaks.

"A movie and video game reference in one go. I think I like you." He takes another sip of coffee, "If you don't want to chat we don't have to. I just figured I might get to know you the way normal people do it since it seems we're both in town for the same conference." He sets his coffee down and takes the last bite of his pie.

Comment

Deann felt wilted the moment she stepped off the plane and into the Nevada heat. Why anybody would want to live out here was beyond her. She was in her lightest hiking clothes--one would be boyfriend had described her as looking like an archeologist, which was still bull--and she was still sweltering in this heat.

Lacking the funds for a hotel that provided a shuttle service, let alone the funds for a cab, she filled up a water bottle and started walking the way her print out from Google maps had told her. She supposed the walk itself wasn't bad--just hot and bothersome--but she'd still be glad for going back home to Pennsylvania.

She glanced down at her next set of directions and stopped. Turn left into Summer's Cafe and take a break, you silly girl. She looked left to see a small hole-in-the-wall type place that did look cool and inviting.

Nevermind it didn't seem like anybody else was paying attention to it.

She dropped her head and sighed. "You know, I wish, just once, she'd come out and talk to me straight."
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Jack stepped off the bus, looking up at the city, barely even feeling the heat over a sense of foreboding... He didn't much like the desert, but he HATED this city. Full of broken hearts and broken dreams, empty promises of wealth beyond imagining if you'd just stay for one more hand, one more spin, pull the lever one more time... Out of money? You have something someone will buy. Your clothes. Your dignity. Your family. Your soul. Hopelessness dressed up in glitz and glamour, a siren call to the rich and the ignorant, the unlucky and the just plain stupid. A perfect place, in fact, for unsavory sorts to find desperate people. To do their bidding for a couple of bucks. To be their host. To be their prey.

He shook his head. His thoughts were turning to the macabre... The desert was a bad place for him. So he started walking, wandering first into a bookstore, coming out with a thick paperback with an orange cover. It was a dictionary, but not of the usual sort- it was a dictionary of symbols. Might help identify what he was going to be dealing with if the folks in charge weren't going to be straightforward. Hell, it was a useful reference even if they told him exactly what to expect. Then he closes his eyes, and starts to wander about the sidewalks, letting himself be drawn in by his other senses, The sense for other children of the gods, and his sense for heartbeats... when he opened his eyes next, he was standing about 10 feet behind Deann, staring at the cafe, book in hand.

Comment

Aiden almost missed a stitch.

His smile froze briefly, as he mentally recovered from the surprise. Then he set down the knitting, and gave a long, considerate look at Emmett.

Ankh. Could be any of a number. No matter. Smart one. Either he's got an ability to tell, one of the closer scions told him, or he looked at the rune and had a lucky guess. Or any mix of the above.

He imagined following up with, oh, really? you're here for the FuckathonCon too? i only use organic latex in my, shall we say, attire? but his tongue didn't feel quite sharp enough to give it his best.

A slow, deliberate blink. And then a gentle sigh.

"Well, Johnny is quite a convincing fellow. And I just couldn't subject fellows to my possible replacement on the... team." The last word was just a touch strained. "So what's your expertise? You know, in case we find a nest of ice dragons, it'd be nice to know if you're the one who tries to kill them, or do the intelligent thing."

Comment

Location: Airport with Crocodile Dundee Solomon (Undecided on the city - something Southeast, in the coastal states - Richmond, Charlotte, Charleston SC, Atlanta...)

"I have no idea what you just said, but I'm guessing you've got a handle on things. And maybe you say they're looking out for us, but with our history you start to wonder eventually. TLDR, we're working for a bunch'a dicks but it's better than the alternative. Don't think we've met. Name's Luke."

And while he wasn't going to let the Australian know it, he was actually pretty relieved at this turn of events. He was already pretty sure his political activities would have him on a list somewhere. And he was betting bringing his gear anywhere near an airport would be the final straw. Would've made for a damn good excuse to not go, though.
            » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Location: Airport in the Southeastern US - A few days before the meet (Luke)

The Aussie is still grinning a bit, nodding his head. "We haven't met, mate, but trust me, I know who ya are, Cooley." He lifts a hand and touches the brim of his hat. "Name's Solomon. Solomon Becker." Luke may have heard the name before, even from non-Divine sources. Solomon was a man to know if you needed to get your hands on something, or if you needed something done, never mind how.

"'Course Them Above're arseholes," Solomon says, shrugging. "And right choosy about who they choose to favor, too," he adds. "Me folks aren't from your neck of the woods, obviously," he adds, and taps one of his dog-tags. Luke would spot an Eye of Ra design on one, a sure-fire sign of the Egyptian Divinity. "But they're gonna make sure ya get through security, Brighto."

He spreads his hands. "Anyways, mate, you best get yer arse moving. I got me own transpo to Vegas. I'll see ya there."

Location: Summer's Cafe, Las Vegas - Now (Aiden, EJ, Deann, Jack)

Unheeded by any of the other scions, a woman sits in one corner, legs folded under herself as she pecks away on a high-end laptop. Her eyes rarely leave the screens in front of her, and if her hands aren't busy on the keyboard, they are either pulling a latte over to sip, or picking up an electronic tablet to flick through some more data. She has the wan pallor typical of someone who needs more time in the sun, with night-black hair and eyes.

Those present would, if they tried, pick up the sense of the Divine on the woman. She glances up as they enter, and EJ would probably recognize her in passing. This is Selene Hoffman. She doesn't offer any sort of greeting if he spots her, however. She never has been good at socializing without a screen in front of her.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"I'm a PI by trade." Emmett begins, "I have a knack for noticing what most other folks miss. Something that runs in my mom's side of the family I guess." He sips his coffee. "I'm good at ferreting out the truth of things. And I can generally tell when someone is lying." He glances back around the room again.

"Seems we have quite the turn out."

(OOC: His glance assumes others have come in finally)

Comment

Deann sighs as she decides to just go with the instructions and head into the cafe. It's definitely a relief to get in out of the sun. She tingles with the sensation of not being alone, of having others like her around. She ignores it though, going up to the counter to ask for a glass of water before sitting down at a table.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Luke nods. "Yeah, figure I'll get there one way or another. Guess I'll be seein' you, then."

Luke and the man he would always mentally refer to as Crocodile Dundee went their separate ways, Luke heading for the flight his ticket directed him towards. He still wasn't entirely sure how they knew where to find them, or how they planted the envelope, or how they knew which flight he'd need to catch, or... Okay, he had to stop there and just assume that somewhere, somehow, someone was born to the right kind of deity for that sort of thing. If it wasn't Johnny Mercury, that is. Who knew what all that guy did.

So timeskip! and he's soon walking down a street in Las Vegas. While it wasn't all that much hotter than the Southeast, he could have done with less dust in the air. On an impulse, he dropped into a random bar he was passing in the hopes of begging a drink. Once he was inside, his senses finally kicked into place and he was once again cursing heritage and instincts all at once.

Comment

It's hard to describe how the sense feels. It's not easy to quantify - at least not with the level of power Aiden has. He can feel it louder, though how many people is impossible for him to tell.

But that's not quite as important.

"Truth. And... how long have you worked with the ethereal families?" He drains the rest of his coffee, and feels the spark start to glint in the back of his mind. He tries to ignore it. "I'll weigh my soul against the Feather any day - just give me a few dozen helium balloons, I'll be perfectly fine."

He glances around, sees Selene - sees Deann - sees Jack. He rolls his eyes and raises his voice, not shouting but letting the words carry clearly. "Okay. Everybody who's Johnny's guest to this lovely oasis in the desert, why don't you come over here and we can do the introductions thing. Because gods know we'll be bunked up together and sharing toothbrushes soon anyway. At least we can co-ordinate who's bringing which liquor."

Comment

"I'm not the bunking up type. So I think I'll just stay right here, thank you very much." She shoots the speaker a 'what are you going to do about it' look. This is paired with a quick once over of him, ending with a quirked eyebrow, and obvious mental assignment of 'just another pretty boy'.
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Jack sighs, and heads on inside the cafe, looking rather haggard and tired... right up until he reaches into the pouch at his side, opening it up carefully, and drawing out one of the raw hearts, which he then pops in his mouth with a slight grimace, chewing and swallowing. He rubs his eyes a bit, and when he removes his hand, he looks much better- not at all like he just spent several days on the bus.

Sitting down at the table, he sets the book down, title up, and takes his knife out of his duffel, sheathing it at his side. "Jack Childs. Son of Tlaloc." He says quietly, and leans back slightly, looking up at the ceiling. "And I have a very, very bad feeling about this city in general, and Johnny in particular."

Comment

When Aiden makes his little call, there's a bit of a sigh from a couple of the people present. Summer herself, the cafe's owner, glances up and just shakes her head.

Selene Hoffman, meanwhile, heaves a bit of a sigh as she scoops up her laptop, her tablet, and her latte, then moves over to Aiden's table. She sits instead at the next table, but in such a way that she's facing the group as she sets her gear up again, resuming her work without missing a beat.

"Selene Hoffman. Not here on Johnny's invitation," she says, in the kind of clipped, short way common to the kinds of people whose brains work faster than they can usually handle. "Here for meet anyway. Coordinated flights and transportation." She glances briefly at Jack, adding, "Not sure why plane was unavailable. Bus serves just as well."

She then switches to a different tack without pausing for breath, "Vegas good for digital signals, but too much stimuli outside to parse. Much better inside, much better in here especially." She finally stops and inhales sharply before concluding, almost as an afterthought, "Nice to meet you."

The entire time, apart from her glance to Jack, and then at the group in general at her final line, she has been busily tapping away at her laptop and tablet.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Luke shrugs and drops into a seat near Deann, deciding through some convoluted logic that she was likely the most approachable woman in the gathering. "Hey. Get dragged here on family business too?"

Comment

Location: MGM, Grand Garden Arena..Night before the Meeting.

Mike "The Wolf" Hammer sighed headed toward the back of the arena. Photographers were everywhere, asking him how it felt to once again be undefeated in his, what was it again..twentieth, successful title defense? Of course he put on a smiling face, complimented his competition on how great they were, not believing a word of it. He shut out the reporters, leaning against the wall.

He would have never accepted such a small purse, nor such a useless title defense, if not for the letter. Finally something he could really sink his teeth into. There had better be a real challenge, or he and this Johnny Mercury was gonna have words. He just didn't know how he was going to do it without the whole world knowing. His last mission had been sort of a bust because of it, good thing it had turned out that it was a false alarm. All it had taken was some of his fame, and some of his money..and the problem had been solved.

"Hey Harvey, next time I accept a bout just to get a free lift to somewhere..slap me would ya?" He was talking to his 'Manager' Harvey West. Harvey was a decent enough manager, but knew to do what Lupo asked..when he asked.

"Come on Champ, couldn't have been that bad?"

"Bad? I practically threw myself into his punches, and he still missed. How can I put on a good show if the guy can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag?!" Sad but true, the guy he had fought was not even in the top 20, he had pushed it as a 'Giving the new guys a shot at the top'..but this guy had a long way to go before he was going to be ready..for somebody who was not part god.

"That bad then. Well champ, you didn't come here for this fight. So, relax..tomorrow is the important thing." Harvey was smart enough, Lupo had always liked Harvey.

"Your right Harvey. I just want to know when somebody will give me a challenge."

================================================== ==

Next morning..

Lupo Virtis walked into the Cafe without much fanfaire. He didn't speak much, never had..he just quietly slid into a seat, listened to everybody. The rest of the place had already noticed him, and quickly looked away. His presence meant he would never go unnoticed, but people almost always looked away immediately. Which was good and bad. People knew that he and Mike were the same, but were most of the time too intimidated to ask for his autograph or bother him when he was 'Lupo'. When it come time to intro himself, he just simply stated. "Lupo. Hope the stares from the others don't bother noone. At least it shouldn't this Johnny."
                                Last edited by Mytical; 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM.
                                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X