View Single Post

Old 09-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Moderated Poster

I worked for a company determining state funded health insurance for 7 1/2 years. Finally quit when it got to the point that I was coming home from work, crying, and throwing things because I was too stressed... that was 4 years ago.

I'm lucky that my job now doesn't deal with a lot of stupid when I have to talk to people on the phone... I won't go back to a large call center job like I had previously.

I always tried to remember that the people weren't (mostly) mad at me... they were frustrated/upset at the situation. The mute button was also my friend, though I became adept at hand motions and eye rolling. I listened to music while processing applications to relax, and also read ebooks between calls to distract myself. When you work in a company that is contracted to the state, you can't exactly vent... or have to watch yourself (and I hadn't found this site yet) so I also taught myself relaxation techniques to try to calm myself after an angry call.

And sometimes you just have to get out of your seat and walk away.

Do you know what finally got me to quit? I was getting at least one death threat (or threat of violence) per week.

Last edited by Wenchie; 09-17-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo & added a couple of sentences