This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange questions in an interview

So as I mentioned, I've got a brand-spanking new job as an English teacher, and so far I'm enjoying it. But I've gotta say, I've NEVER done so much paperwork IN MY LIFE. I suppose I can understand most of it -- being a teacher, being trusted with people's children, of course they're going to be very thorough.

But then I got to the document they give you with just about every job application, the one where they ask if you've ever had a heart condition, asthma, allergies, etc. I don't think I've ever applied for a job that didn't have that document. But the schoolboard had a much, MUCH longer list than any job I've ever had before, going through every sort of chronic disease, illness and predilection. And that's why the school board now has a signed document from me stating that I'm afraid of heights.

Good grief.

So I was thinking, what are some of the strangest questions you've ever had to answer in a job interview?
    Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

no skeletons in the closets anymore.

Strangest question. Does "Are you punctual" count?
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I once had this question asked of me - "Could you sell ice to an eskimo?"

I just looked at the guy with a WTF expression on my face. Moron.
      I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
      another time, this world would fade away
      To find true love, is like no other joy,
      our choice is here
      be happy for today

Comment

Quoth COMINATCHA View Post
        I once had this question asked of me - "Could you sell ice to an eskimo?"

I just looked at the guy with a WTF expression on my face. Moron.
        If it was hot enough where we was I guess I could, I have, actually (well, icecream).

Comment

I have worked retail for over 6 years. When I applied for my current job one of the questions asked of me during the interview was the following:

Interviewer: "What is the most enjoyable aspect of customer service?"

Me: "Is that a trick question?"

I mean, come on, how the hell do you answer that question???
          Retail Haiku:
          Depression sets in.
          The hellhole is calling me ~
          I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
            Well, I would guess "nooners" would be the wrong answer.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
              Well, I would guess "nooners" would be the wrong answer.
              So is "telling off the stupid ones", I guess.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
                I have worked retail for over 6 years. When I applied for my current job one of the questions asked of me during the interview was the following:

Interviewer: "What is the most enjoyable aspect of customer service?"

Me: "Is that a trick question?"

Try: "Helping the people who aren't idiots or assholes."

If you don't care if you get the job, add this in: "But just out of curiousity, I'm sure you get some interesting lies when you ask that. What are the best ones you've gotten, and how do you keep a straight face?"

Comment

Best interview I ever had. Mom and Pop photo lab. I went in, sat down, and me and the potential boss stared at each other. He was a large, older gent. He squinted at me, sized me up, and said, and I quote,

"So. A lotta cussin' bother you?"

Thus began my stint as a lab troll at what we called Midlands Cussin' (Custom) Photo.

Comment

"What's your favorite video game?"

"Why is it your favorite game?"

"Why would I buy that game?"

I got these questions during an interview at Taco Bell back in high school. The manager came off as such a weirdo I decided to intentionally blow the interview by telling her that I was a total Goth. I told her that I would probably still be wearing make-up and a collar and stuff if I was scheduled on a school day and didn't have at least eight hours to change.
                    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

"are you a witch?"

I got asked that when I interviewed for the new age shop, the owner was a pagen and asked me that so out of the blue my jaw just gaped for a few seconds.....

she said that I didnt HAVE to answer legally, but she could feel a close connection with mother earth around me.... I kind of just stared at her, thanked her and informed her that I was infact Christian but I was happy she felt the energy anyway

it was a REALLY wierd moment
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

"Have you managed to do any of the mission maps" in answer to me saying I liked to play computer games in my spare time, and was currently playing Warcraft 3.
                        The last half an hour of the interview continued this theme, and yes I got the job
                        "don't go to the neighbors,that's just what the fire expects you to do"-phillippbo
                        "Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
                        Support bacteria.They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

When applying for a two-month summer job, I was suddenly asked "Do you play poker?", and when I confirmed this, the follow-up questions for the next 15 minutes were all about poker and whether I played online or IRL. Turned out there was an in-office game going every Tuesday, and the boss just wanted to know if I was interested in joining in, seeing how he had already decided to give me the job.
                          Any resemblance between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                            "are you a witch?"
                            I don't know how I would answer this.

So I would probably tell him/her that I am not but would love to be.

I have a very odd man with backward ideas. But since I am not confrontational and don't like arguing, I just let it go.

I know, he is an ass.
                            Last edited by Rapscallion; 08-21-2006, 08:41 PM. Reason: Taken out debate fodder - R
                            Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

"Can you name all four Beatles?"

Sad but true, though, I failed. I know John, Paul, and Ringo but I can never remember the fourth. You know, the one that played the saxophone and ended up suing them.
                              "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Working...
                              X