This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you heard a boom...

this week has been busy as hell, but oddly not many SCs... oh and today I have a pizza party on the clock because my team had the best on time schedule compliance in may... YAYness.
    of course there has to be at least one SC or else I wouldn't be posting... so this person calls in, I can tell it's a call transferred from the hotel from the VDN display... so before he reached me I know he heard the greeting "it's a wonderful day at the (hotel name) this is (whoever answered the phone) speaking, how may I direct your call)... either that or they were running their automated system which says "thank you for calling (hotel name), please press 1 for reservations, yada yada", so either he selected reservations on an automated menu or he said something to the operator that indicated reservations (or indicated crazy and the hotel just didn't want to deal with it... which may be the most likely option)... anyhoo, onto our conversation

me- desperately looking to get out of the call center and away from the crazies
    sc- s for stupid, c for crazy
    thoughts in italics

me- reservation desk, this is smileyeagle speaking, how may I help you?
    sc- yes, I'm calling from Omaha Nebraska *and this has to do with reservations how?
    me-ok...
    sc- my lights just went out *my sympathies
    me- ...
    sc- and I was wondering if you knew when the power would come back on.
    me- I'm sorry I really have no idea.
    sc- why not
    me- because I'm at the reservation desk for the (hotel) *ok, not really, I'm really in a cubicle with a lovely view of the rush hour traffic on the 201 freeway, but if you think I'm in a call center you might think I'm outsourced and as such have magical access to every piece of information you will ever need
    sc- well I heard a boom noise in the distance and this is the number my friend gave me to call in case of emergency *i don't think this is the emergency he had in mind
    me- I'm sorry, I don't know why you got this number, but that doesn't change that I don't know anything about the power outage in nebraska.
    sc- well, who do you suggest I call.
    me- perhaps the power company would know.
    sc- do you have that number?
    me- I'm sorry, if you'd like I can get out my phone book and look up our power company, but I don't think that will help with omaha.
    sc- fine, you guys are no help *click

ok, seriously, the hotel he called doesn't have an 800 toll free number, so for some reason he though it was perfectly normal to have to call long distance to san diego (granted he might not know area codes to know which city, but it obviously wasn't a local call) would be the best person to ask about a power outage in his neighborhood. Bonus kudos, that he didn't realize it was a wrong number when the hotel answered and said nothing that would lead any sane person to believe that they had reached someone who would know anything about a power outage.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Oh thanks Smiley, make we Omahan's look like morons!

...Wait never mind. I live here, I have horror stories about the idiots here. You poor thing!! *offers beer and chocolate in sympathies*
    Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Funny, my software support for work is called Omaha. It would be even funnier if your name was Nick. (I secretly have a crush on this Nick person at the call center. Dunno why. *shrugs*)

I'd like to know, if the guy is called from Omaha, why didn't he call the non-emergency police line? Or even 411??
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        I'd like to know, if the guy is called from Omaha, why didn't he call the non-emergency police line? Or even 411??
        Because his friend TOLD him to call, silly. Isn't it great to have know-it-all friends
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          Funny, my software support for work is called Omaha. It would be even funnier if your name was Nick. (I secretly have a crush on this Nick person at the call center. Dunno why. *shrugs*)
          nope, not nick, the second letter is the same though, and it's the same number of letters... is that close enough?

Comment

No, Nick has stolen my little Hoteling heart. Sorry Smiley.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

........Alrighty, then.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Lil Bunny View Post
                Oh thanks Smiley, make we Omahan's look like morons!

...Wait never mind. I live here, I have horror stories about the idiots here.
                If it makes you feel better, I've always thought of the Omahans as much less idiotic than the Lincolnites.
                Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  sc- and I was wondering if you knew when the power would come back on.
                  me- I'm sorry I really have no idea.
                  sc- why not
                  I get those, too. It really makes me question the intelligence of the people around me. Their internet, cable TV, or satellite TV will stop working, and, instead of calling the company who provides the service and to whom they are (hopefully) paying the monthly charges, they call me because I or someone at my store sold them the computer or TV that is no longer getting a signal.

I had one exchange back in February during a big snowstorm that really threw me off, partly because I'm almost the last person in my store to ask TV-related questions. This was a customer in the store.
                  SC: (Asks about his TV, which is displaying a "no signal" message. He has DirecTV.)
                  Me: Well, since the city is coming in to plow our parking lot every couple of hours, I would assume that there's snow on your satellite dish.
                  SC: Can you look it up in your computer and check?

I think people are getting the mindset that all phone numbers that do not link them to their friends' cell phones must be routed to a gigantic call center, where every CSR has access to all the information a customer could ever possibly need from any and all companies with which they desire to do business or at which they desire to scream and yell and cuss and throw things.

CSR: Thank you for calling Omniscience, the company with all the answers. My name is Magical Disembodied Voice. How may I grant your wishes today?

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  sc- well I heard a boom noise in the distance...
                  Might have been a transformer box exploding. I saw one do that outside my apartment once when I lived in Idaho. A squirrel was running along the power lines, reached the transformer, and stepped where he should not have stepped. Boom! Big flash of light and sparks! No more electricity, and no more squirrel.
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    CSR: Thank you for calling Omniscience, the company with all the answers. My name is Magical Disembodied Voice. How may I grant your wishes today?
                    This is so sig-worthy ! May I ?
                    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                      This is so sig-worthy ! May I ?
                      I don't work in a call center, so I sure don't need it. Enjoy!
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Neither do I, but it's just too funny ! Thanks !
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Might have been a transformer box exploding. I saw one do that outside my apartment once when I lived in Idaho. A squirrel was running along the power lines, reached the transformer, and stepped where he should not have stepped. Boom! Big flash of light and sparks! No more electricity, and no more squirrel.
                          Well I'm guessing the call was from our night of 7 tornadoes (seriously...I read that today and my jaw dropped). Parts of the city lost power and were flooding. If it wasn't a transformer, it was a huge thunder clap or a good lightning strike.

LOL and yeah Bradester, you poor things out there. *ducks and runs* In all seriousness, it could be worse. We could have to deal with the G.I.ers. Heh and if that doesn't bring out western Nebraskans nothing will.
                          Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

you know what's funny, I do believe that is the name of the pseudo-company that convergys uses for their applicant testing.
                            ... for those of you who haven't had the pleasure *cough* of applying at convergys, what they do is they sit you down in front of a computer and have you take two tests, the first is one of those ungodly, do you agree or disagree with... tests, the second is, listen to this call and chose what you would have done... and I seriously think I'm remembering that the pseudo-company that they use in the fake calls was omniscience... or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                            X