This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Friday

Woman comes in, grabs a six-pack of cheap beer. Comes to my counter and says "you're gonna hate me" and produces a Zip-Lok bag of pennies. I calmly told her no, she was gonna hate ME because I wouldn't take the pennies unless they were rolled. I gave her wrappers.

Guy comes in, grabs a six-pack of Heineken, was trying to talk to his friend at the same time. Not paying attention.....A six of Corona falls out and breaks all over the floor. He had a fit when I told him he bought it.

Crackhead comes in, says she needs a favor, she doesn't have enough for her 'glass rose'(1.25) . Told her no deal. So she asks a KID(maybe 12) in line behind her for the money. I lit into her and told her that she could NOT ask any other customers for money. They do this all the time. Funny, they have money for crack. I will NOT let them 'slide' for any amount, not even a penny. I hate that I have to sell the things.

Just another Friday in the 'hood.
    USN Retired

You have my complete and total respect and admiration.......

I dealt with inbreds, rednecks, and the occasional "gangster", but I never dealt with crackheads or anyone to those extremes.

Chin up, one day soon they will quit making pennies
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

!

I can only hope! It costs more to make pennies than they're worth. I do hope they get rid of them.
      USN Retired

Comment

Quoth stickycoins
        I can only hope! It costs more to make pennies than they're worth. I do hope they get rid of them.
        Nah, they just keep chaging what they make them out of; using cheaper metals.

I wonder if they've considered doing another run of steel pennies. It's been a while. (I also wonder if it's still cost-efficient any more.)

But I agree. DEATH TO THE PENNY! After all, a penny saved is... a penny.

Comment

Quoth stickycoins
          The US Mint can't get the American people to accept a dollar coin, there's no way they could ever get them to part with their precious pennies!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I love pennies, where else can you get cheap paperweight?
            Last edited by LostMyMind; 07-09-2006, 12:25 AM.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth XCashier
              The US Mint can't get the American people to accept a dollar coin, there's no way they could ever get them to part with their precious pennies!
              Heck, in Canada they got us to accept a TWO dollar coin. I'm sure they can persuade us to get rid of the penny. Maybe the nickel too. Rounding everything to the nearest ten cents would get rid of those stupid $9.99 prices that drive me crazy. But that's a rant for another day.

Comment

Did you know that Mr. Britney Spears (Kevin Federline) has been out campaigning to keep the penny in circulation!???? I mean, really! And I only save one penny once a year - to play on my old record player when I listen to my vinyl albums so I can still listen to the ones that skip.

Comment

Quoth chantal
                  Rounding everything to the nearest ten cents would get rid of those stupid $9.99 prices that drive me crazy.
                  That didn't work in Australia. We got rid of the 1 and 2 cent pieces quite a few years ago. So all we have are 5 / 10 / 20 / 50 cents plus $1 and $2 coins. But we still see silly prices like $9.99 everywhere. The cashiers will round up (or down as the case maybe) if customer is paying by cash, the full amount will be charged if paying by credit card.

Comment

Quoth chantal
                    Rounding everything to the nearest ten cents would get rid of those stupid $9.99 prices that drive me crazy.
                    It would get rid of the .99 cent part however it won't get rid of the pennies. After taxes, the pennies will come back in play
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Our legislators are actually spending time debating the penny. According to what I've been reading, they are going to try to pass a bill to get rid of pennies.

I like this. They are wasting so much time on this issue that the federal same sex marriage ban won't fly. I also laugh at the flag descretion thing is on top of their list.

YES!!! Waste your time on fluff and don't worry about what the states are doing

Comment

I like pennies. I don't have a problem with them...but if K-Fed ( ) is endorsing them...
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn
                          Nah, they just keep chaging what they make them out of; using cheaper metals.

I wonder if they've considered doing another run of steel pennies. It's been a while. (I also wonder if it's still cost-efficient any more.)

But I agree. DEATH TO THE PENNY! After all, a penny saved is... a penny.
                          The steel pennies were a WWII thing because copper (the primary metal in pennies at the time) was needed for the war effort.

Now pennies are mostly tin (or zinc not sure), with enough copper to give them the same look. I don't think they're going to find much in the way of cheaper metals to make pennies. It will get to the point where the government will decide to stop making them to save money.

They've already stopped making gold and silver coins because they couldn't afford the metals to make them.

Comment

bah NZ has had $2 coins for years

we dont even have pennies, 10 cent, 20 cent and 50 cent. Thats it under a dollar.

SOOOOOOO much easyier to count at the end of the night!
                            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My parents told me that if I found a nickel from.......is it 1965 or older, to keep it, because it's real silver?
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X