This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doggies! (Image heavy.)

I took my three dogs to the new vet this morning for check-ups and shots. The dogs are:

Abby- shelter rescue- found wandering along the side of the road with her litter of puppies- adopted in July of 2008. German shepherd/Pit Mix. Three-years-old est. Laid back, chatty, never meets a stranger, and loves being petted.

Pepper- used to be another relative's dog, but I got her when they got tired of her- adopted January of 2009. Sire was an Austrailian shepherd and mother was a black lab. Seven-years-old. Perpetual spring in rear, high energy, and protective.

Casey- shelter rescue- owner surrendered, kept escaping the fence- adopted March of 2010. Bloodhound/Spaniel mix. Two-years-old est. Extremely shy, couch-hound, expresive eyes, bays like a hound, huge feet, loves cats and protecting me from squrrels.

~*~*~*~
    Everyone got the bordetella vaccine and a four month supply of flea and tick prevention. Abby got a distemper booster. Pepper had her yearly heartworm check. Casey had a bump on her tail checked out.

Abby is just fine, though she needs to loose weight. Abby kept talking to the vet and asking for pettings throughout the exam. The vet gave her (and the rest), a small treat after the exam. Abby looked like she was in heaven.

Pepper acted like she didn't want to be there, but was friendly to the vet and her assistant. She was positive for heartworms last year and the old vet said she was a little-hope-case and suggested putting her down. After a year of Heartguard, Pepper tested negative for heartworms. I bought some more heartworm preventative. The vet tech noticed a tiny place on Pepper's paw that was red and hairless. She said it was most likely caused by Pepper being bored while we are gone and to keep her from licking it. She suggested a kong or other toys. I'm going to the pet store tomorrow to get her something.

Casey stuck to me like glue through most of the exam. The vet said the bump on her tail looked okay and to bring her back if it got any bigger. Said it was at a joint, didn't appear to be hurting her, and was most likely caused by a tail injury like a kid pulling on it or something.

I'm just really happy that Pepper was heartworm negative. Abby was positive last year too, but was negative at her last check-up. Now my girls are all up-to-date and healthy. The only other thing that needs to be done is get Casey spayed, which I'll have done when I go on vacation since the dogs will be staying at the vet's office anyway. I really don't want to leave them though.

Post photos and stories of your doggies.

I don't have dogs of my own. I'll show off my parent's dogs though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	2029543
    This is Nik. Got him at the Humane Society 7 to 8 years ago. He's going to be 12 this November.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0197.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	2029544

This is Angus (after Angus Young). His story is sad. One of the girls I work with was at the park and saw a guy get out of the car and tie him up and then drive off. The girl I worked with decided to linger for a bit to see if the guy came back. He didn't. She wasn't able to keep him and had him for a month before he found a home with my parents a week ago on Sunday. I had overheard her at work talking about needing to find him a home. My parents have been wanting to get a lab so I gave them a call and they took him. He's lucky boy. There was a nasty snowstorm the night that he was rescued. He's now 13 weeks old and 24lbs!
    Last edited by Sunsetsky; 05-04-2010, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Awwwww such sweet lookin doggies I am a cat person (duh) but I love dogs....just have no time for them. Love seeing sweet puppies on the trail
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

This is my parents' dog, Bruno. A big, dopey, lovable mutt. If Goofy were a real dog, he'd be a lot like Bruno.
        Attached Files
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My dog is Lucienne, (her picture is in my profile, I'm not sure how to post them here. sorry) We got her 3 years ago. She and her litter mates were shipped from shelter to shelter, when we got her she had to be dragged out of her crate just so we could get a look at her. Poor thing is still unsure with people, but she is still improving bit by bit and I'm so proud. She is my baby and will follow me anywhere, I'm so lucky to have her . She is black lab x redbone coonhound mix and She howls when ever I get home.

edit: Added picture thanks for telling me how to do it!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 05-04-2010, 02:06 AM. Reason: added pic
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

If I didn't live in the city, in a basement apartment, I would so love to have any one of those cutie poochies!

And only now - in my 40's - am I getting allergies.

However, a friend of mine just adopted a beagle who she said I can take for walks when she's showing houses (she's just down the street).

I'd love me a pup!

Good for you for doing the rescue - puppy biscuits for them and your favourite libation.
            No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

D'awwwwwww~.

*Snuggles on Angus*

Nik looks like Sasha, my parent's Eskimo Spitz they had before they had "puppies" (EQ and I) of their own.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Pablo is in my avatar; he died in January 2009 (can't believe it's going on a year and a half! ). He was really my ex's dog but he was my baby (he lived with me and/or my parents for a few long stretches). Also in the pic are the cats, Stars (girl, on the left) and Stripes (boy), and my mom's arm/legs .

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                This is my parents' dog, Bruno. A big, dopey, lovable mutt. If Goofy were a real dog, he'd be a lot like Bruno.
                Looks like he's taking some sort of oath

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                My dog is Lucienne, (her picture is in my profile, I'm not sure how to post them here. sorry)
                When you create a post, there's a little paper clip icon above the text box. Click it and it'll open a window to manage attachments; there is a button to upload a file from your computer.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Abbey is our baby (see avatar) Boxer X Staffy. 10 years old

We got her from the RSPCA 2 years ago and the story is that her owner died or got real sick and there was no one who could take her, so she was surrendered.

We have found that unlike most dogs who are either dominant or submissive, she is just passive. It's interesting to watch her with other dogs because she doesnt react to them how they expect her too.

She sheds constantly, drools like a running tap,is incredibly needy most of the time and can give you Oscar winning "I'm a poor starved dog - feed me!" look, but we wouldnt want her any other way
                  "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                  "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                  "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                    My dog is Lucienne
                    Dawww......lookit the bandanna!

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    Looks like he's taking some sort of oath
                    yeah, that's one the things he does to get your attention. If you're sitting down, he'll put one paw on your knee. If that doesn't work, he'll try two paws. And if THAT doesn't work, well, then you've got 75 pounds of canine in your lap. He'll also (gently) take your hand in his mouth and drag you wherever he thinks you should go, usually the door or the food bowl. Spoiled brat.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                      D'awwwwwww~.

*Snuggles on Angus*

Nik looks like Sasha, my parent's Eskimo Spitz they had before they had "puppies" (EQ and I) of their own.
                      He's a cutie. He's also a little snot. He likes to nitpick at Nik a bit and try to play with his curly tail. Nik doesn't like it so much. But he's showing more patience now then he did when Angus first went to live with my parents.

Comment

Working...
                      X