Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of 'Book through the site' don't you understand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of 'Book through the site' don't you understand?

I can't speak for other accommodations, but when you call up a place to stay we you usually give you the standard rate for a room. The prices you see on third-party sites are organized by the site agents because we approach them to advertise for us for a commission fee in exchange.

People don't seem to understand this however and they think they can call us directly and get that rate directly; most probably mistake it for the standard rate. I don't usually negotiate rates, but the best I can knock off a room rate is $10 and no more. The discounts online range from $15 - $30.

What's stranger is that people think the rates online are higher than our standard rates so they call us to try and get a lower deal.

Anyway, of course I get people who don't want to go through the trouble of going through the sites to get the lower rate and demand that I lower the price to the site's rate. I adamantly refuse every time and get told that we're false advertising, that we won't get their business yada yada.

Tempted one day to go 'Your loss, (bluntly hang up phone)'.

It's kind of a shame that you can't, but I'm guessing your boss(es) wouldn't be too happy about that ....

I admit I know absolutely nothing about booking through a third-party site, but if I tried it, and had it explained to me why I couldn't get the site price by calling the place directly ... at least I would not start screaming about false advertising. Seriously, either accept the price you're being offered, or hang up, go back to the third-party site, and book through there.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

In the early days of third party sites, you could call the hotel and they would beat the online price. It's been 15 years since that stopped. Anyone still trying today must love getting told no so they have an excuse to start yelling and make themselves feel big.

Comment

I'm actually a bit surprised you can't match or beat prices offered on a 3rd party site, since the company is paying the site a percentage for each room booked through them, and booking directly would avoid that. Or do the sites now make deals that ban direct discounting? (Or have people been misusing the price-matching and creating bogus booking sites to get price matches?)

Comment

The OP would know better than me, but it sounds like the third-party rates are promotional, and as such the discount is funded through the hotel's advertising budget. While it wouldn't matter from the customer's perspective, simply matching the price would be an unbudgeted loss. A small distinction, but I can see it causing all sorts of headaches behind the scenes.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The third party sites have a number of ways to make money. The first is that they collect up front and pay afterwards. They also bank on change fees and nonrefundable cancellations.

As PoliteBoy said, if you want the discount, book online.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              In the early days of third party sites, you could call the hotel and they would beat the online price. It's been 15 years since that stopped.
              I booked through a third party site a couple times. It worked okay the first time, but the second time I arrived at my destination and there was no room in my name, or any logical variation of my name. Fortunately, there still were rooms available. The nice desk person matched the price anyway. When I got home I disputed the charge with my credit card company and told them why.

Somehow, the cluster of information never made it back to 'ThirdPartyBookings.com' and months later an angry, rude collection agent called me and told me I ought to be responsible and pay my debts.

I heard, around that time, to ask the hotel if it could match the price. I don't travel often so knowing they no longer do is useful.

Comment

Working...
              X