Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how far out of the loop ARE you??

I work as a cashier in a grocery store. For a few weeks now we've had gloves; a few days ago we had large sheets of plexiglass put up at each register. (Masks are reportedly next.)

Today I had an elderly couple come through with their groceries. The woman tapped the plexiglass sheet and asked, "So when are these coming down?"

My first reaction was to say "Never" but I wasn't 100% sure of that (turns out that's exactly right).

I swear, we need a separate subgroup for "Stupid Customers" -- people who aren't sucky but terminally brain-dead.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Never

Imagine how nice it would be if it was there for no now.

Customers who spray when they talk - shielded.

Customers who sneeze and cough in your direction - shielded.

Customers who think they have a right to reach into your work area - shielded.

Heaven.

Comment

There's a loop?
      My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
        There's a loop?
        Here we go loop-de-loo
        Here we go loop-de-lie
        Here we go loup-garou
        All on a Saturday night!
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Kitty Corporate just announced they are installing those in all their stores ASAP.

Where were these when I ran register years ago? Would've stopped a lot of these monkeyshines customers pull.

We'll see how effective they are . . .
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

dalesys, I don't think we need any werewolves spreading contagion, thank you
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, our store has put up the plexiglass sheets as well over the last few days.

Comment

Probably a good idea in general. In my retail days, I was always catching some bug from the customers.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

We're supposed to be getting the plexiglass, too. Hopefully it helps.
                  I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

The problem

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Can be easily solved if corporate would issue guns with silver bullets to the front line employees. Only problem I see is that everytime a customer snarls they get shoot with the employee using "I thought they were a werewolf." as a defense.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Werewolves are part dog*, so they can't get or spread the contagion.

On the other hand, vampires are blood sucking creatures, just like sucky customers, that will suck the life blood out of you, transmitting the contagion just like a mosquito. Holy water (aka hand sanitizer) works well against vampires.

*Dogs are descended from wolves.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        Can be easily solved if corporate would issue guns with silver bullets to the front line employees. Only problem I see is that everytime a customer snarls they get shoot with the employee using "I thought they were a werewolf." as a defense.
                        Just pulling the gun out should work, LOL.

The only problem I have with the plexiglass sheets is that it's VERY difficult to hear what customers are saying to me now. On a couple of occasions, both I and the customer have leaned down to speak through the hole that is situated over the card reader ... thus making the plexiglass somewhat less safe . I thought it was just me (age and all that) but many cashiers AND customers have said the same thing.

I'm hearing that little speaker vents are supposed to be put in. Hope so.
                        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yeah, but weres are part *human*, too, so I'm concerned they may at least be carriers.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's been complaints from customers that the deli is taking the extra cleaning steps too far and "creating a hostile shopping experience" for the Grocery Store's customer base. Never knew sanitizing the scales and counter were grounds for a hostile shopping experience.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

"You're taking time to properly clean everything and not dropping EVERYTHING to wait for me to figure out what I wanted the moment I deign to appear anywhere near you." -type of hostile shopping experience?

Comment

Working...
                              X