This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All right, enough lurking

It's about darned time I bumped that post count from zero to one and made myself known as something more than a few bytes cluttering up the data stream around here. I found the place a while back, and have been prowling around archives and older posts (like fifty or so pages back much of the time), laughing and groaning in empathy often enough for my poor wife to want to know the story I'm reacting to at the time. Now it's time to come to the present instead of residing in the tales that were posted many moons ago.
    I'm one of those special workers that sensible managers love to have around (even if it is a bugger to figure out where to charge my hours) -- a jack-of-all-trades who actually enjoys functioning as such and happens to possess something resembling a work ethic and some (un)common sense. The list of jobs in the store that I'm not trained for is shorter than the list for the jobs I have managed to get some training under my belt for. I work for one of those mega-corp grocery chains that owns stores under multiple names; if you're in the U.S. I could probably transfer into you're city .
    I've been with this company nearly ten years now, and have my share of personally experienced stories as well as those heard from coworkers who have come and gone (or stayed). The hurricanes I've lived through here have been less impressive as they roared through town than the insanity that is working in a grocery store during the days and weeks following. Especially after Ike, when mine was one of the few that had power restored by the time the store manager made it in to check the place for damage some twelve hours after landfall (one a couple miles up the road from us was out of power for close to a week). We all felt like we deserved hazard pay after those shifts (and overtime was handed out to those of us who foolishly admitted to still being in town like it was candy).
    To close, I ask, nay, beg: if you're going to ask for help finding something, please, please know what you're looking for. Or admit your ignorance in the beginning. I don't mind trying to help you find 'minced ginger' even though I've never heard of such, I can even take you to a couple places in the store you might not have thought to look. But when you ask me for "wheat" and tell me you've bought it here before (it's not a farmer's market, people, all our wheat products are just that, wheat products) don't expect me to psychically know you're looking for "wheat germ." Which I could, naturally, tell you aisle, section, shelf, and shelf position for (you learn that sort of information when you order the stuff).

Great to have another grocery employee on board. Welcome to CS, Falor.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Comment

to

You are in good company here. I have to be careful reading stories while at work. Coworkers just don't understand why I'm laughing so hysterically, or muttering invectives under my breath.

Come sit down, have a cookie.
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Yay! More Houston people!!

Comment

Welcome!!!
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Welcome to a great site!
            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Working...
            X