Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm not a customer because I work here...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm not a customer because I work here...?

My store sells local milk in glass bottles (best chocolate milk EVAH), empties are returnable for a deposit. I had 3 to return yesterday. So I go up to the counter when the cashier says "Next" (note at this point I am the only person in line). When I say "I have some bottles to return", the cashier glances at a guy who had come up behind me and says "Can you wait a second, I have a customer right now."

Um, you called me up first. Yeah, I may not be buying something, but the other guy came through the self-checkout lane (and could see you were occupied).

I didn't want to get in a confrontation about it (all told, it only wasted about a minute of time but I was waiting on someone anyway), but it was just a bit irritating.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

If you're in line (especially when off the clock), you're a customer just like any other -- just one who actually knows what they're doing.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I was off the clock and out of uniform at that point. All the cashiers know me on sight, this guy must have been new-ish. I did say something immediately afterwards to the head cashier--who witnessed the whole thing--and she didn't seem too concerned.

This morning I said something to the FEM who had actually started in Grocery (I kept the payout receipt, so he knew who was logged on that register)...he was less than impressed.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        I was off the clock and out of uniform at that point. All the cashiers know me on sight, this guy must have been new-ish. I did say something immediately afterwards to the head cashier--who witnessed the whole thing--and she didn't seem too concerned.
        Of course she didn't. I'm experiencing that mental block from people in similar positions in my store, especially when I've reported behaviour that ought to have been brought to the attention of Loss Prevention, much less the assistant manager for the front end.

This morning I said something to the FEM who had actually started in Grocery (I kept the payout receipt, so he knew who was logged on that register)...he was less than impressed.
        Hopefully the cashier gets spoken to soon before a corporate employee passes through and wants to buy something.
        Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Working...
        X