This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    It's my guess I won't be leaving my apartment for a couple of days ...
    *winces* Yep, you're there for a while. Hope you have some good books.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Just had to have blood drawn. It took 2 nurses 25 minutes to find a vein (after checking both arms multiple times) then they had to use a kiddie needle to get it in. Plus they felt like they hit bone. Did I mention I have a full-blown phobia about needles?
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Been there with the 'Pin the needle on the vein' game. Do NOT like needles. Back when I was a regular blood donor, I needed 2 squeeze balls, one in each hand: 1 for pumping blood once the tap is in, and the other for someplace for the EEEEEEEEEK! to go while I keep the donor arm still.

And now, I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Yup, I have to jab myself multiple times a day, under my own power. On the plus side, I don't have to worry about finding a damned vein.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          Been there with the 'Pin the needle on the vein' game. Do NOT like needles. Back when I was a regular blood donor, I needed 2 squeeze balls, one in each hand: 1 for pumping blood once the tap is in, and the other for someplace for the EEEEEEEEEK! to go while I keep the donor arm still.

And now, I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Yup, I have to jab myself multiple times a day, under my own power. On the plus side, I don't have to worry about finding a damned vein.
          Yeah, I'm diabetic too, and I also inject insulin (although I'm a Type II, not nearly as insulin-dependent as a Type I).
          WHOLE different kind of needle. Teeny tiny, probably 1/4" long, and I inject into fat (of which I have PLENTY). No problems here.

Now, I have big fat veins, but now they're buried under fat, and as often as I tell the vampires that I have perfectly fine veins, they still insist on treating me as though they're hard to find. Once in awhile I get a good one, though.

Comment

Type 2 here as well. Things progress and... damnit. No use throwing a SC about it.
            31 gauge needles are the happy thing. I started with 30's, and they were all right. Stupidity with a doc and a pharmacist got me some 29's, and those hurt. every. freakin. time.
            Now what gets me is: Syringes are NOT a Rx-only item. However, several of the chain pharmacies/corner store places have a policy that without a scrip, thou shalt only get 28.5/29 gauge needles (GreenWalls), and sometimes only single-needles for 50 cents a pop. (Your Aid is NOT Rite)
            yeah. No scrip MUST equal druggie needing a needle, so here's your huge needle for a stupid price. (Wallyworld sells their store brand for 12.5 cents a pop and doesn't care about needing a scrip, so... yeah, that's where I take all my business anymore)

Comment

So a year or two ago I started on a long chain of checkups common to aging folks. Among them was a series of cardio tests. At the time they said everything was fine.

Just had another series of tests (NOT the stress test, oddly enough) and came home today to a phone message in nicely accented English: "Hello, this is [Cardiac Centre] for [Pixelated]. We need to book you to see the cardiologist."

I am now officially spooked.

And for the record, I've had no symptoms whatsoever indicating possible heart problems.
              Last edited by Pixelated; 04-10-2019, 11:35 PM.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Could just be a nice CYA means of relaying the results. Privacy regs can get rather nasty about any possible leak of information. Yes, there should be some bit of context in there, but... OMG, LEAK! At least they're not leaving an urgent message.

Save the spooked bit for when you look at the workplace and/or hear the brass talking about the next big idea and how it will make everything better.

Comment

Honey, save the spooked bit for when the nice PA at the walk-in clinic calls 911 for you . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                    Honey, save the spooked bit for when the nice PA at the walk-in clinic calls 911 for you . . .
                    Yeah, that would do it!

I had gotten an in-office test a week or so ago, plus was hooked up to a heart monitor for three days. The creepiest part of all that? The doctor kept turning on the sound from the in-office testing machine ... "goosha, goosha, goosha" ...

Me (thinks): "Please stop that; it is creeping me out SO bad ..." I mean, seriously, I'd have died of fright if it had suddenly stopped ...

Turns out they want me back in for the stress test plus a quick chat with the cardiologist. It does not sound like it's anything major. I'm guessing a preventative lecture ... "Lose some weight ... how much salt do you eat () .... how much exercise do you get () ..."
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I wish I had a copy of my EKG from my original A-Fib. That one freaked me out. 49 years old and I am in the cardiac ward of the local hospital.

On the other hand, look at the miracles of modern medicine. Mick Jagger had a valve replacement and he doesn't have a 9" scar in the center of his chest.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post

- To ensure we don't discriminate according to race, gender, sexuality, religion or whether you love or hate Marmite... (I answered white mixed (i.e. mongrel) and I love Marmite).

- Have you ever suffered from any neurological, degenerative muscular or dropped on your head as a baby syndrome...

I think she was trying to work out if I was listening! There was an unexpectedly high amount of giggling in this interview...
                        Kudos to that receptionist! It's also a good talking point I imagine and a good way to break the ice (for the record, I love Vegemite [Marmite's Down Under Cousin])

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        I love having health professionals who try to lighten the mood. I just wish I didn't have to see so many of them on such a regular basis...
                        I do too. I also encounter a few of these at work. If they're up for a bit of a laugh, it also makes my job easier.

Quoth Minflick View Post
                        When ANYBODY splits their forehead open it bleeds like a son of a bitch...
                        Not quite the forehead, but my sister hit her head just around her eyebrow on the corner of her dollhouse when she was four and had to have some steri-strips (no stitches thankfully). It did bleed like a bitch though.

Quoth csquared View Post
                        On the other hand, look at the miracles of modern medicine. Mick Jagger had a valve replacement and he doesn't have a 9" scar in the center of his chest.
                        Yup. My mum had to have a loop device implanted recently. My reaction to that was "So you're now part-cyborg?" (Loop device = records abnormal heart rhythms)

Comment

Goddammit, frozen shoulder is not supposed to recur on the same side.

Not that I want it on the other side, which....also might be happening.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Kidney infections really f@&$ing hurt, and I had forgotten how much "fun" fever dreams are.

Comment

ADHD is not always "ooh look! squirrel!" Sometimes it can be "Holy shit, I wanna get off this rollercoaster, but the seatbelt is fastened too tightly, how do I stop?!"

Comment

I've been taking a kenpo karate workout class and the other day I landed a jump on the side of my foot instead of the right way. Thought it was ok, just sore since I was able to walk out on it. Couple hours later one side is swollen to the point I couldn't tell if it was just swelling or if I've actually dislocated or broken something. Off to the ER for xrays since urgent care was closed by then. Thankfully no fractures or dislocations; just a nasty sprain. I'm confined to a boot for the next couple weeks with instructions for "no ninja stuff" until it heals up.
                                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                                X