Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my case, I know exactly where the regional facility that services the post offices in the area is. Since it's ~30 minutes by truck, things can go from there to delivery here the next day. When it takes 4 days to go from that facility to here... yeah, there's just a little problem with the works.

Comment

Years ago had two go on walk-about Waldo and Carmen That was fun and it was all on FedEx, because the moment they were in USPS hands, they arrived a day later.

Of course, USPS has had it's fair share of stupid, but never that level of "Your package is in another castle."
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

... and here we go AGAIN. Ordered more memory for my aging laptop from a seller in Columbus, OH on Friday. Shipped USPS on Monday. Handed off to DHL, according to the tracking. Where is it? As of Tuesday morning, Hebron, KY (probably CVG), which is 130 miles completely the wrong direction. I'm assuming they're going to put it on a plane bound for who-knows-where (my money is on Chicago. Whenever they pull this nonsense it always seems to involve Chicago). From Columbus to Toledo is only 142 miles. Why is my memory on a plane at an airport in Kentucky? If they'd have left it in USPS hands, it would have been here already. Instead, it's going to pinball around the midwestern US for probably a week.

This is progress?

Comment

Back in May, I had something delivered to me by FedEx. It got from Missouri to Minneapolis in 12 hours, then spent the next FIVE days circling various suburbs of Minneapolis before finally being delivered to me. No wonder they told me the delivery time was 8 days.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

This is the tally so far:

Columbus, OH > Hebron, KY approx 130 miles
            Hebron, KY > Stow, OH approx 250 miles

Stow, OH is a minimum of 140 miles from Toledo, so at the very least at this point, my package will have traveled some 500 miles before it reaches my door.

If they'd put it on a truck directly for Toledo, it would have traveled only about 130-140 miles.

Oh, and one thing I find particularly amusing (not really) about this is: On that leg from Hebron to Stow, the truck traveled THROUGH COLUMBUS. The package's city of origin.

My old instructor in boot camp had a phrase for things this fracked up. 'Gotta be a communist plot.'

Still betting this thing hits Chicago before it gets to me.

EDIT: ANOTHER UPDATE: Oh, this is priceless!

It's still in Stow, OH. Where it's been handed off to the delivery service (I presume USPS). Where it's STILL about the same distance as it was from its destination (just in a different direction) from where this whole fiasco started.

So many questions. I mean, why is this even a thing? At least two different carriers, pingponging hundreds of miles for several days, just to reach a destination that was literally only a couple hours' drive in the first place? Can anyone enlighten me?

EDIT: YET ANOTHER UPDATE. OMG. The more I watch this the more ludicrous it gets.

The package traveled BACK to Columbus. From whence it originated.
            This sounds a bit like The Twilight Zone meets the Three Stooges.
            Last edited by CyberLurch; 08-07-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
              Back in May, I had something delivered to me by FedEx. It got from Missouri to Minneapolis in 12 hours, then spent the next FIVE days circling various suburbs of Minneapolis before finally being delivered to me. No wonder they told me the delivery time was 8 days.
              I get that sometimes a package gets misrouted. But ever since the post office has started handing things off to FedEx, DHL, etc., it happens WAY too much. It's almost like they select the most convoluted route possible to give the package as many opportunities to get smashed or lost as possible.

I'm sure I'm mischaracterizing things, but sometimes I wonder.

At the time this is being typed out, there have been no tracking updates in two days. ETA was yesterday.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post

EDIT: YET ANOTHER UPDATE. OMG. The more I watch this the more ludicrous it gets.

The package traveled BACK to Columbus. From whence it originated.
                This sounds a bit like The Twilight Zone meets the Three Stooges.
                Don't forgot, since the USPS is involved it's going to have to go up to Detroit before it even thinks about hitting Toledo.

I had ordered something online, shipped USPS from Naperville (outside of Chicago) to Toledo. It was sent through Boise, Idaho.
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I recently canceled a future package from Amazon. The tracking number said that package was in Florida. FOR TWO WEEKS. I called Amazon to cancel the transaction, and they said that it was already being shipped so I had to wait, but I said, 'But it's STILL in Florida! It hasn't left yet' They canceled the package for me and issued me a refund.

Comment

It was on spring break??
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                      Don't forgot, since the USPS is involved it's going to have to go up to Detroit before it even thinks about hitting Toledo.

I had ordered something online, shipped USPS from Naperville (outside of Chicago) to Toledo. It was sent through Boise, Idaho.
                      Heh. Who knows what goes on with USPS anymore. A couple of years ago, a shipment from CA made it all the way practically to my door. It had been listed as 'processed through Allen Park". Processed... back to California, apparently. At first I thought, "Oh, the delivery address must have gotten obscured or damaged, and they returned it to the sender." Nope. The sender reported that the package was in perfect condition when it arrived back at his address. He shipped it right off again, of course, but.... California to Ohio to California to Ohio. I want to say that's some kind of a record, but sadly I'm fairly sure that's not the case.

Tracked my most recent package again this afternoon. Still (allegedly) in Stow, OH. At this point I'm reasonably certain it's officially MIA. I'm just glad that this machine is my 'legacy' rig and not my main computer.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                        I recently canceled a future package from Amazon. The tracking number said that package was in Florida. FOR TWO WEEKS. I called Amazon to cancel the transaction, and they said that it was already being shipped so I had to wait, but I said, 'But it's STILL in Florida! It hasn't left yet' They canceled the package for me and issued me a refund.
                        Amazon, you say? That doesn't surprise me. The 'productivity expectations' in those warehouses are not in any way, shape, or form consistent with reality, and at that insane pace, mistakes are bound to occur.

I'm betting the shipping label for your order got printed out and then promptly lost before it could be slapped on the box, OR the label simply fell off. Meaning your order got to the post office, and with no delivery or return-to address, they had to chuck it into 'dead letter'.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                          Heh. Who knows what goes on with USPS anymore. A couple of years ago, a shipment from CA made it all the way practically to my
                          Tracked my most recent package again this afternoon. Still (allegedly) in Stow, OH. At this point I'm reasonably certain it's officially MIA. I'm just glad that this machine is my 'legacy' rig and not my main computer.

Another cute story: Years ago, I bought a purse online. A week or so later, I got a very apologetic email about the delay in shipping 'because there was a train wreck'. Okay. I looked up the tracking. It was last seen in Nevada. So I googled 'train wreck in Nevada' and found the most horrible pictures of the biggest train wreck I'd ever seen! Several yards of track were ripped up, The train was wrecked, cars ripped open, boxes piled EVERYWHERE. However, being a commodities train, nobody got hurt, so it didn't end up on the evening news.

I did get my package a few weeks later, a little bunged up but the contents were fine. I still refer to that purse as 'my train wreck purse'.

Comment

Sounds like what happened last year when I decided to order myself a new purse and wallet set . . . .

Bad enough I'd put the order thru twice (thinking it didn't take the first time and getting a phone call from my bank's fraud department and explaining what I was attempting to do) but once i got the tracking info (the website said it was in AZ, but the merchandise was shipping from China.

Once it arrived in the US (roughly a week and a half after I had placed the order,) it sat at the Customs Facility in NY for two weeks before it even made its way through USPS chain down to the regional facility (on the SW side of Greensboro) so it could be sent to the local post office branch.

It finally arrived not quite a month after I'd ordered it.

A week later, I received the other order, so I ended up with TWO identical Coach bags and two wallets.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              A week later, I received the other order, so I ended up with TWO identical Coach bags and two wallets.
                              Did you end up paying twice for that?

Also, I absolutely HATE it when someone advertises that they're a US seller and it turns out they're just forwarding the order overseas. I try to buy within the US if I can (because shipping from China is so unbelievably slow, and shipping from within the US is typically less than a week), but I don't need some guy here in the US ordering a shipment from the same place I can. If I'm gonna have to wait, I might as well cut out the middleman.

Comment

Working...
                              X