This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Series Question (Bujold)

Alrighty. I'm going to read the Miles Vorkosigan series, and, I'd like to know:
    should I read it in order?
    or
    should I read it in order?
    -- that is, published order or 'chronological'?
    I've read some series chronologically, and some series published, and it really depends on the author and content. One 'recent' example is the Black Jewels series-- I'm so so glad I read the Invisible Ring first... it explained so much, even though strictly it's the fourth book. (BTW, series is so not for kids it's ridiculous. But it's a good series!)
    ANYway. Opinions?
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

I think, except for Cetaganda, both orders are more or less the same. Especially the later books build so much on the previous that you really should read them in internal chronological order.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I read them in internal chronological order.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Agree, read them in order. As the books progress Miles ages and other stuff happen to him that affect subsequent stories, so reading later books first will somewhat spoil the earlier ones if read out of sequence.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

All things Bujold

Recommended reading order:
          Chronological Miles Universe

Mailing list if you have any other questions or comments. We are currently discussing the Wide Green World series, but anything can end up being discussed on list. Her last post was at 1 am this morning ... another night owl =)
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Crossover from another thread here:

Miles = Amp + Pixy Stix
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I highly recommend reading them in order or you will get confused. And enjoy! Bujold is a bloody genius.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Pants onna stick. Thanks guys! /*places holds and il-l's on books*
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                  Pants onna stick. Thanks guys! /*places holds and il-l's on books*
                  If you have an e-book reader, the hardcover version of Cryoburn has a CD with all the earlier books (except for Memory, if I remember correctly).
                  Baen Books say:
                  What’s the catch? This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold. All commercial rights are reserved. That’s it.
                  Why are we being so generous? Simple: we think the more people who read Ms. Bujold’s works the more people will buy them.
                  so if you know anyone who have the CD, you can legally start reading the series for free.
                  I think they are right, though. You will want the books on paper.

Comment

Working...
                  X