This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Alaska Now

Well, I finally made it. My housing situation fell through at the last minute, but I found a cheap motel to stay in tonight and then I'm booked at one of the hostels for the next five days. With any luck, when I go to orientation on Monday, I'll find someone who could still use another roommate. I've made up my mind that I'm not going to let any minor setbacks get to me. It's all just part of the adventure.

I'm planning on taking a walk later and exploring a little. I couldn't believe how beautiful the mountains were when the plane came in for landing. I'm surprised too, at how quiet it is. I'm near the road and there's very little street noise at least not compared to back home.

So far, I think this is going to be good. Once I get a camera or camera phone, I'll start posting pictures.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

I'm so jealous. we're doing everything we can to get back there. What hotel?

Comment

I'm staying at the Puffin Inn. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean and the staff is friendly. It's just strange being by myself. Right now I'm trying to get used to the time change. My body is telling me it's after 11PM. The clock doesn't agree. Oh well, I'll adjust soon enough.

Comment

How awesome! Look forward to the pics. From pictures I've seen, it's a gorgeous place. I like The Proposal for the scenery more than the plot or acting (though Betty White is awesome in that).
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If you get hungry, the Village Inn should be open 24/7 and they are like Denny's. It should be up the road towards the airport. The Puffin isn't bad, basic but not bad. The closest gas station should be the Tesoro ( I think that's it) towards the airport. Not sure what Lake Hood looks like right now, but that's where all the float plane take off/land. I used to work 3rd shift at the airport so I'm trying to think what would be open right now/near there.

The Proposal wasn't actually filmed in Alaska. There are more films being made there now, but not many in the past.
          Last edited by kpzra; 05-03-2012, 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling again

Comment

Please post what stories & pictures you can. We took the 7-day round trip from Seattle on HAL last year, and I'm going through big-time withdrawal now. Alaska is spectacular. I would go back in a heartbeat.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Best part of Alaska, only days drive for views like this:

*sigh* I hate the desert.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kpzra; 05-03-2012, 06:02 AM.

Comment

@24601 - isn't the mtn one at Portage/Turnagain Arm?
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

The top on is driving down the Seward Highway, just outside Anchorage. I think we were right around Indian but before Girdwood. The bottom one is at the top of one of the trails in the Valley. That's our Blazer I've mentioned before.

Comment

Oh wow, that is beautiful. I'm hoping to see as much as possible while I'm here. I'm planning on walking to the Hostel where I'll be staying the next few days just so I can see a bit more. Plus, it's not like I can't use the exercise. Considering I won't have time to snack a lot or even eat that much period once I start working, I should lose some weight before I return home.

Comment

Haven't been to Anchorage (yet), but I got these shots when we were in Juneau last May.
                      Attached Files
                      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Just curious, but in any of the local restaurants, does the children's section of the menu describe anything as being "Texas-sized"?
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Nope, but I did see Alaska sized a few times. The City Diner is a good place for breakfast, Minnesota and Benson. Not sure where your hostel (most I knew were downtown) but 5th Ave mall is a basic mall with the usual stores and food court on the top floor. 4th has some cool shops like the mint. Saturday market should be starting soon on 3rd, lots of booths, some farmers market stuff, rides. Not sure the cost, but there are places you can rent bikes if you don't want to walk.

If you need help finding anything just post up. I can always ask my friends who still live there if those here can't help you.

Comment

Teysa I actually live in Anchorage so if you have any questions let me know... whatever you do DO NOT stay at a place called the Mush Inn.. trust me on this one.

Where is the hostel you are staying at? If it's downtown be careful at night as there are alot of unsavory people that meander down there...

Comment

Working...
                            X