Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand why the rule is don't ask, and it's simply that there are enough people out there that don't actually want sauce, however, when presented with the option of free stuff they MIGHT want will say yes. Obviously those sauce packets cost the company a couple pennies, however, when you multiply that out by the number of customers even one store sees in a day, that's decent chunk of cash.

That said, the taco place I go to asks if I would like sauce, and I always say yes, and end up using less than they give me (I actually try to get people to give me the number of packets of whatever I think I will want, it rarely works :P). They probably do it for exactly this reason, people suck and will through screaming fits over the stupidest things. I mean, I don't go to taco place that often, however when I do go I know that I want sauce, and so if I wasn't asked I would ask for some when I picked up the food, and would think nothing more of it. But we all know that enough people don't think like that to give Kisa an ulcer or 5.
    Last edited by thansal; 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

In my current city all the taco places just ask, right before handing you the bag, 'did you want any sauce with that?' It is silly not to if it is causing such strife and customer anger... the owners should get a clue and add that to the employee script to save time and improve both employee morale (not getting yelled at) and customer satisfaction.

Oh, and most burger joints will ask if I want ketchup or other sauces as well, so it seems to be a standard mode of operation here. I am not suprised if customers expect to be asked or think it will just be in there. One drive through burger/ice cream place asks and has multiple signs posted to reiterate to the customer that nothing but what you request will be on the burger.
      Last edited by nicolecj; 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM.
      "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
      - James Joyce

Comment

I can't remember any time I've been through the drive-thru and not been asked if I wanted sauce.... Is that pretty new, then? Honestly, I'm not sure I'd remember to ask for it if they didn't offer. Which would be too bad, because I LOVE the new fire-roasted salsa and I put it on everything I order there. One packet per item sounds right to me - any more than that, and you'd just be eating a dripping marinade of hot sauce with a little bit of meat and cheese underneath. :-p

I certainly wouldn't think to be upset at someone for not offering me hot sauce. How PA is that?

Comment

I think it depends on the fast food restaurant and what gets asked and what doesn't. If I remember correctly from my days working for the Clown (Ronald and not Jack), we weren't supposed to ask if the customer wanted ketchup. Of course many people did. The Taco Place I go to will ask.

Comment

This is why at my Taco/Chicken place. We keep the sauces for the dining room behind the counter. If a guest wants sauce, they need to ask for it and we are able to moderate our costs by not giving them 50 sauce packets for 1 burrito.

Comment

One guy even took a handful of sauce packets and DRANK THEM! One by one... rip...squirt...squeeze...trash...repeat.
              I've done that with the extras before. But only the ones that came with my order to begin with.

Comment

See and I always get asked if I want sauce and I say "No thank you." and then I end up with a handful and mild and a handful of hot.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

One of the "Taco Places" near me automatically gives you a bag filled with all of the different kinds of sauces, napkins and a couple of straws when you get to the pay part of the drive thru. Guess they got tired of hearing people's bullshit about it.
                  Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Yeah I always get a ton of sauce even if I say no. I realize though, the poor drive-thru person is probably running on autopilot, and "D'youwantsaucewiththat?" just pops out automatically and they don't actually process my answer.

Now if only that taco place would get my actual order right ... funny thing, they never mess it up if Mr. Bells orders it. Only when I order.

Yes, it is cumbersome, isn't it. Opening your mouth doesn't seem to be an issue. Perhaps it's the asking part that pains you so...

Comment

Quoth ShootMePlease View Post
                      One of the "Taco Places" near me automatically gives you a bag filled with all of the different kinds of sauces, napkins and a couple of straws when you get to the pay part of the drive thru. Guess they got tired of hearing people's bullshit about it.
                      My local one does the same thing--no doubt for the same reason.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                        Me: What kind?
                        SC: Sauce.
                        Me: ....What kind of sauce?
                        SC: TACO sauce!!!
                        Me: What kind of taco sauce?
                        SC: TACO!!!
                        Me: We have mild, hot, fire, fire roasted and verde. Pick one.
                        SC: MOLE!

Seriously, I love me some mole sauce although I do like verde too.

Quoth Kisa View Post
                        Me: I'm sorry sir, but we aren't allowed to ask. You have to ask us for sauce.
                        I was going to ask why you didn't just ask if it's such an issue. Never put it past a manager or owner to bite their noses to spite their faces. If it's really an issue they should keep all the sauce behind the counter, have a set amount of sauce that comes with each item and charge like a nickel or dime a piece when people want extra. That's what a lot of McDonald's have started to do with sauces.

Quoth Kisa View Post
                        ...Besides, none of the other fast food joints ask for condiments."
                        Quoth Draco View Post
                        McDonalds doesn't ask for ketchup or mustard anymore, but they still ask for sauces if you order nuggets.
                        I think that really depends on what store you go to and even what person is helping you in the store rather than some sort of corporate policy. The local McD’s I go to most often will ask if I want ketchup about half the time I’m in drive-thru (I’ve actually been asked if I want ketchup when I only ordered a small coke so some employees will ask no matter what you are buying!).

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                        If I remember correctly from my days working for the Clown (Ronald and not Jack), we weren't supposed to ask if the customer wanted ketchup.
                        The owner of one of the McD's I worked for took the ketchup off the counters and put it behind the registers and implemented a policy that people had to ask for ketchup. If they did ask we were to give them 1 packet for small fries and two for large and they had to ask for more if they wanted more.

I think that lasted all of a month (and I swear that had nothing to do with me begging every irate customer to call and complain about it).
                        You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Here's where I feel I have to point out:

EVERY time I drive through Taco Ding-dong, they ALWAYS ask "would you like some sauce with that?"

Just what kind of a rule is it that you are NOT allowed to ask that question? It seems to me to be basic customer service to ask what your brain-dead customers want. (They can't ask themselves, as they ARE brain-dead.)
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                            If it's really an issue they should keep all the sauce behind the counter, have a set amount of sauce that comes with each item and charge like a nickel or dime a piece when people want extra.
                            This! Just so long as procedure and charges are clearly posted. I know SCs don't read, but it does support your case. My vice happens to be Chinese takeout, but I can't stand soy sauce. So why do I always get ten little packets of sauce with a single meal. *gag*

The only exception I make is with Arby's horsey sauce. That stuff is great to take home for the fridge.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I think it depends on the location. Around here, none of the stores ask for anything. I have a Mc Donalds, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC and Long John Silver's all in the same area (the Taco Place employees hit them for lunch on occasion) and if you don't ask for ketchup, salt and the like, you don't get any.
                              Many of my my coworkers (including myself) are unhappy with this rule because it causes so much stress and so many headaches, but have no power to change if or fight it. The district manager (my boss's boss) decides the rules which get approved or denied by my boss's boss's boss.
                              Basically, the DM has to decide on a new sauce rule which her boss must ok. If myself or any of the other team members disregard this rule, we get our hours cut. If we continue to disobey, they get cut again and again until we get fired. The reasoning behind my rant is not that I don't want to ask for sauce, but rather that I can't and many SC's don't understand that. They think I don't ask them because i'm some evil sadistic bitch who wants all customers to be miserable and sauceless. Many customers accept it and deal with it although they dislike the policy. Others decide to try to make the employees miserable. Sorry, but i'd rather have a job and pissed off customers than no job at all.
                              Answers: $1
                              Correct Answers: $2
                              Answers that require thought: $5
                              Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Most of the places here, you have to ask for anything, they don't ask you..however not our Taco Palace. They will ask, and often I will have to say "Can I just have one or two packets please?" cause if not .. I get enough sauce to drown in...and I am a big guy...or at least it seems that way. Really who needs 20 packets of sauce for 5 tacos?
                                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X