This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancing in heels - HELP!

So this term at the studio I've been doing lyra at, they also do pole dancing, aerial sling (think giant stretchy fabric hammock you do tricks in - kinda like aerial yoga, but with more performance elements to it) and burlesque classes (the whole studio itself has a very pinup/boudoir kinda feel).
    This term, I've opted to go for sling and burlesque (partially to help build up my grip strength for lyra).

Now, the choice of outfit for burlesque is basically "sexy lingerie + heels." (said heels need at least an ankle strap and are NOT the crazy stripper ones) The thing is though, is that I almost NEVER wear heels - I literally have one pair of shoes with a wedge heel and it's a low one at that. I am already just under 5'9" and basically tower over people in those wedges.

So...does anyone have any recommendations for heels? Or any advice?

(To clarify by crazy stripper heels, I mean these ones. The pole dancing students wear them, as do the students doing what can best be described as "lyra/sling mixed with exotic dancing" - I have no intention of doing either class, but the students who do said classes are crazy good)

As with any other skill, it takes practice. You will also need to build up the muscles in your legs and lower back as different ones are used from normal walking.

Question; are non-slip soles and heel tips an option? That usually helps as you're less likely to have a foot slide out from under you.

If you're not used to heels, build up to it. Try walking around the house in them for increasing periods of time.

Balance and posture are also important; shoulders back and chin up helps keep things on an even keel. Think of them as training for walking on stilts and you're not far off.

With regards to looking good while walking, don't peck at it; learn to stride, and if possible try to place your feet as if you're walking along a plank of wood 4 inches wide. This helps to prevent the Tina Turner effect (don't get me wrong, she was amazing, but walking in heels was not in her skill set).

Finally, look into some kind of insert to cushion the balls of your feet. They will feel like you've dipped them in acid if you don't take some kind of preventative action. A foot massage/bowl of hot water for soaking your feet in/ibuprofen may help afterwards as well.

Incidentally, I'm 4' 10.5" so heels were a big part of my clubbing years!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Re the "crazy stripper heels", I'm simultaneously amused and disturbed that their front-page offering for men (that moccasin with 2" soles) is titled "the Creeper". Also amused by the "STOMP-08"....
      Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 01-09-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

There are actually a few pairs on that site I'd have worn in my dancin' days.

There are also some seriously "guaranteed to break your tailbone" pairs on there.

Some seriously fugly stuff too.
        Last edited by morgana; 01-10-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Those stripper heels are horrible torture devices. How anyone walks in those without breaking something I do not know.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I could feel my ankles snapping just by looking at them ...
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

You're going to have to walk in them before you should even attempt to dance in them. Otherwise you're going to injure yourself. Seriously.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Those stripper heels are horrible torture devices. How anyone walks in those without breaking something I do not know.
                I have been wondering that myself. Especially with the thin-ass heel.

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                You're going to have to walk in them before you should even attempt to dance in them. Otherwise you're going to injure yourself. Seriously.
                I won't be walking in the stripper heels (let alone buying them ), but I will do this at home with the pair that I end up getting (which is looking increasingly like a pair of straight up character/chorus line shoes - this is an example)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

Those are EXACTLY the shoes I used most often for either ballroom or belly dance.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                    I won't be walking in the stripper heels (let alone buying them ), but I will do this at home with the pair that I end up getting (which is looking increasingly like a pair of straight up character/chorus line shoes - this is an example)
                    Damn, I want those shoes for me. I can't walk in skinny heels, but love a slight heel with my pretty swishy skirted dresses for work, etc. I wish they came in different colours, too.

Dance shoes that fit properly can be the most comfy shoes you will ever own. Once you get used to the heel height, you probably won't even notice you are wearing shoes.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                    X