This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally reached the breaking point.

I almost walked out tonight, I really did. Before my shift even started. Every day it's something else. Every day it's telling us off for yet another thing like taking too long on the calls. Every day we lose access to programs we need to do our job because "they're a security risk".

We've lost access to an area of the computer where we can keep notes for our own reference. We even lost access to the company web site for no reason any of us can determine and then they changed the web site (which the customers CAN access) without telling us what they've changed on the web site. This means we can't direct the customers where to go on the site for items because WE don't know where to go. Which aggravates us and aggravates the customers.

Aggravated customers leads to more escalations to the manager, which we (the common workers) then get told off for because they're are too many escalations.

ALL, not because of the workers, but because of the company itself.

And it just gets worse.

So, today there's a little thing that goes out that says they're now going to start charging the customer a rather large sum of money every time it isn't a company problem but a customers.

Can you guess what thats going to lead to? MORE escalations.

Which we'll then get told off for. Not to mention longer calling times. Which we'll get told off for too. Which will lead to yet further restrictions.

I can't take it anymore. I either quit or I'm going to go stark raving mad and start banging my head against the wall.

I HATE this job. Couple that with the fact that I'm going to class full time for the next 10 weeks and you know how I feel.

See, I did this before. I went to college and worked at the same time, no problem. I was a little tired but it wasn't nearly this bad. This job I HATE. Loath. Tonight, I was even crying when I talked to my husband.

I'm done, I'd rather go on temporary unemployment than continue working at this place. I can't take it anymore. I'll go psycho.

If you stay there, you are preventing yourself from finding something better. Think about it that way. Good luck!

Comment

I once had a job that was so horrible it put me in the mindset you are in. I tried to stick it out despite the fact that the stress was so horrible that one day I had a breakdown and had to go to the ER. One of my dear friends at that job was one of their best employees and every day they'd tell him how he wasn't good enough. He was in fear for his job, but was one of their best.

I wasn't wise enough to quit, but my stress and the meds I was on as a result caused my work level to sink and they ended up terminating me (I was a temp to hire). I tell you what, I felt so wonderful just from being fired. At first I was upset, but when I started having days without that place, I was practically floating.

I did find out some time later that they lost their contract. It was a company that used to do AOL customer service too. They were a third party and this location was taking calls for the USPS customer service.

*smites TeleTech*
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

That place sucks and I tell you what, if you do quit, do it soon. No one deserves to be treated badly, and A good work environment is as important as anything else.
        Last edited by mircea12345; 09-13-2006, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Get out of there! That kind of stress will hurt your grades and probably damage your health. It's not worth it!

I'm curious to find out what company this is, so I can avoid it. They sound almost as bad for customers as for employees.
          Sumerian Proverb: kash nañ-nañ-e a ba nañ-nañ: "One drinks beer, then water gets drunk."

Comment

It almost sounds like they are trying to drive their employees out by making the workplace so horrible and the job so impossible that you quit and they won't have to lay you off and pay unemployment.

If it's affecting your health and well-being, you definitely should quit. Before you do, though, document everything you just outlined here. You may qualify for unemployment if you have good documented evidence that your employer was deliberately creating an unworkable work environment to make you quit.

Even if you can't or don't wish to pursue that route, it's a good idea to quit a job which is affecting you that negatively as soon as you can do it financially.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Well, I went in to chat with my boss after class today. I actually started crying because of the stress.

I don't know how they expect what they're doing to actually fix anything.

I agree, you're right. I will leave. I should never feel as bad as I do right now. No job is worth this. Though it does make things a bit difficult since I still need the money. I'd rather keep my sanity than get the money.
              Last edited by Moirae; 09-14-2006, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Hey, Moirae, it's Alberta! There are jobs everywhere in this booming province. A fast food job might suck, but a lot of places are offering $9-$14/hour. Not sure what area of Alberta you are in, though.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                  They told me that they're trying to get our tools back but it's taking time and alot of effort. I know why it all started in the first place. Because some former coworkers did some bad crap to some of our customers like changing emails to nasty words.
                  So they took your tools away because of bad workers that abused the system? I'm guessing that it was the bad workers that caused the problem and not the system. It seems like your bosses have a hard time seeing the forest for the trees (or whatever metaphor you'd like to use). What they are doing would be like the admin at my school taking away access to the copiers because a couple of teachers made nasty fliers with the copiers.

I worked at a job that I hated the last couple of years that I was there. My work performance suffered because of it. I also think that my health suffered a bit too. My back used to bug me alot. I didn't do a whole heck of a lot of manual labor so I know it wasn't that. I'm convinced that stress caused alot of my problems. I quit last year and haven't had any major issues with my back.

Comment

True, it is Alberta. This province is pretty desperate for workers. But ugggggg, fast food again. That was a horrible job. I burned myself on the deep frier one day when I worked at Burger King when I was a teenager.

Thing is, I just might be stuck doing that until these classes are finished. But it's only 10 weeks. After that, I should have a truly amazing job that I wanted in the first place due to the classes I'm taking. They'll help me find a position after.

Everyone (coworkers, boss', and even the teachers at the classes I'm taking) keeps telling me how talented I am, that they're amazed at how much I know, that I can get a job anywhere. Well, if that's the case then why can't I seem to find a job in what I was trained for instead of these low level jobs? Anyway... just griping. I'm still stressed. Sorry.

Canadagirl, I'm about an hour from the American border. Three or four (don't have a car, so don't drive and am not sure if it's three or four lol) hours drive from the mountains.

lad, yeah no kidding. It's idiotic and we're all suffering because of it. Makes us want to pull our hair out. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

Since I made the decision to leave, I actually feel alot better than I did. I guess we'll see what happens. I only hope I'm not screwing myself by quitting.

Thank you for listening and your support by the way. For some reason, it means more than when you hear it from family because family's naturally biased.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                      Thank you for listening and your support by the way. For some reason, it means more than when you hear it from family because family's naturally biased.
                      I'll just add to my last post that I was very lucky that I was able to quit when I did. My parents were in a position to help me when I was unemployed and knew that it was for the best. Everything just sort of fell into place and I am thankful for that.

Comment

I live with family too right now. I kind of feel horrible for doing this because it's going to put an additional burden on them but I'll have a breakdown if I don't.

Comment

Im sure your family want you to be happy, they know youre not quitting out of laziness or a spur-of-the-moment tantrum.
                          Id be gutted if someone in my family said they put up with a situation like that because they didnt want to not bring in cash for a few months.
                          "don't go to the neighbors,that's just what the fire expects you to do"-phillippbo
                          "Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
                          Support bacteria.They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

I have so been there. I was so stressed I was down to sleeping two to three hours a night. I went out on disability leave, ended up pregnant (nothing is 100%) and never went back. Beautiful, wonderful sleep. Now I don't sleep well because I have kids. But they're a lot more fun.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                            X