This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Fail

I'm a regular shopper at <Midwestern C-Store and Gas Station>, conveniently located just down the street from my house. I'm not quite on a first name basis with the employees, but they do know me on sight, and every time I go in to shop they're all really friendly and chatty and generally happy. I've even heard one of them say she's lucky to work there rather than at <Other Midwestern C-Store and Gas Station>, because the pay is much better.

Then there's Sucky Clerk (SC). SC never makes eye contact with his customers, never smiles, and rarely greets people when they walk in the door (which is standard operating procedure at this chain). Normally I shrug off his anti-social behavior, because honestly, I don't expect happy bouncy amazing service in a convenience store, but there was one encounter I'm still shaking my head over.

I was standing in line, waiting to pay for my delicious hops-oriented beverages, when a guy behind me (GBM) spoke up and asked SC for an application. Bear in mind that there were several people in a not very big store, so everyone had to have heard the following exchange:

BGM: Hey dude, you got an application handy?
    SC: Dude, you don't wanna work here, man.
    BGM: (rather crestfallen) Oh, really?
    SC: Yeah, this place sucks. I hate it. Walk away while you still can, dude.

...WTH? You're at your till serving customers. There are customers throughout the store. You are literally encircled by customers, and your manager's office is four feet behind you.

Clearly you are not familiar with the term "situational awareness."

Dude.

Interestingly, I have seen employees do the same thing - tell people they don't want to work there - when in private they're gushing about how GREAT the place is. Why? Because a new employee might mean hours taken away from them (and thus their paycheck) to share with the new employee.

But given this guy is just grumpy all the time anyway, he just genuinely hates the job and the world. He must be doing SOMETHING right in terms of corporate policy to still be working there though.

Comment

Or maybe he's been so beaten down by his workplace that he just doesn't care anymore if he gets fired. We've all seen that, even among members of this site. It is hard to tell without knowing what's really going on.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

that's a good point geek.

i know one employee at the local grocery store... think i once heard her talking about how bad the pay is compared to the work she has to do. granted she's somewhat friendly - although part of that may be because i recognized her one morning at a local breakfast buffet and, although we didn't talk, I gave her a "hello" smile.

Comment

He sounds like he kind of hates life in general. Maybe he's depressed

Comment

Regardless of the reason, I feel it's unprofessional and rude to talk trash about your employer in front of customers. This type of thing bothers the hell out of me.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Probably suffering from burnout. It happens to EVERYONE.
              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

I agree that we don't know the full story, but I also agree with bainsidhe that he shouldn't have done that. You have no idea who the applicant is ... how does he know it's not the boss's neighbour's son?

I had a potential applicant ask me what it was like working at Big Green Supermarket, and while I thought it was pretty lousy, I wasn't about to say so. I managed to dredge up a couple of nice things to say. If nothing else, I still want to be able to use them as a reference ...

Comment

Working...
                X