This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Moirae View Post
    Louisiana doesn't have a set pay law unless you are in the mining, manufacturing, or public services in which case its semi monthly or monthly depending on the agreement you signed when you started. Louisiana requires that the lag time between the end of the pay period and the payment of wages to the employee not exceed ten days after pay period. Which means, they can screw me over if they want.
    Not quite true.

The state notes that either the employer sets pay dates or those dates will automatically be on the 1st and 16th of each month. It also states that in the event that wages are not paid to first take it up with the employer and if it isn't corrected, then be reported.

The actual statute

The information that is required to be posted along with all other notifications (such as the OSHA regulations) is as follows:

Quoth Louisiana Workforce Commision
    Your employer has a duty to inform you at the time of your hire what your wage rate will be, how often you will be paid and how you will be paid, and of any subsequent changes thereto. If your employer should, for reasons within his control, fail to pay you according to that agreement, you must first lodge a complaint with him. If no action is taken to resolve your complaint, you may report the violation to the office of labor within the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
    I'm fairly certain that "We ran out of money" is never considered a valid excuse for not paying your employees.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The last thing a company wants to do is miss a payroll. Doing so is a public announcement to all your customers and employees that the business is no longer viable. The fact that they did imiss it s probably your one and only warning that the goose is almost dead. I would stick around a day or two to see if payroll comes through but even if it does dont relax.... get out there and find another job because that one isn't going to be there much longer.

As others have said contact the unemployment office and see what they say. If they aren't paying you any more you aren't employed. I would be interested to hear what they say.

Comment

Supposedly we are supposed to get paid today. We will see.

The COO did send a very nice letter to everyone thanking us for our patience. And I talked to him myself. He said "I knew we had the money, and I don't know what the problem was. It should have just been a simple matter of transferring the money to the right account. I care about my people and I don't like seeing this happen to them. I really was trying to get it. You should get a check by 11 am today".

I actually feel mildly better. At least he was respectful and not a nasty little jerk to us like my DoRR telling us that any reaction to it like not showing up for work until we get paid "Will not be tolerated". Or his idiotic condescension of "we have gone through this in the past".. no... we have gone one or two days maybe in the past, NOT 6 or more. The DORR managed to make that email just not nasty enough that he probably won't get in trouble for it, but I reported him to HR anyway because of the tone.

"DORR sent this email to us on September 1. If I had been here, I'd have sent it to you earlier.

He could have sent us an email saying "I understand you're frustrated and scared, but the company is having a real problem with payroll. We are working on it, and I will get back to you as soon as I know whats going on". If anyone sent him something back asking for more information he could have just said "You know as much as I do. As soon as I find anything out, I will get back to you. If not, you will hear from me by the end of the day so you know that I'm still working on it".

Instead, he sent us this.

"Will not be tolerated"? Really? We are showing up to work without being paid. Isn't it us that are being the tolerant ones?

HR, I'm quite tired of his attitude. He's adversarial, tactless, condescending and rude. He treats us like children at best, and is setting us up to make us into enemies. Especially during a time as upsetting and frustrating as this one. We are all extremely upset and he is lucky we are coming into work. Acting like this is not only uncalled for, but it seems an effort in making things worse than they need to be.

We both know the word I have used to describe this in the past. I don't want to use it again, but the whole department is so stressed and this is only making it worse.

You may ask about RM, well quite honestly, RM barely even talks to us, never mind taking the sting out of anything that DORR may say in these emails. DORR has made sure RM has no power in this department because DORR micromanages it and RM consults him on nearly every decision. Its so bad that we usually only go to DORR if we need something, he tells us what to do, and then we occasionally get an email from him that’s talks to us like this.

This is becoming an untenable situation and I'm no longer sure what to do. I'm asking you to handle this situation please. Something needs to be done. No staff member deserves to be treated so disrespectfully, especially when they have done nothing wrong.

Please don't tell DORR it was me.

Thank you.

moirae"

At this point, I no longer care if it seems like whining. If I can take him down before I get a new job, I will. But I am looking for a new job. Hard. I can't take it anymore. I was going to give myself a week to recover from the exhaustion after the vacation. To hell with that. I've been back a day, and all the stress I got rid of over Dragon Con is back in boat loads.
        Last edited by Moirae; 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Ok, I did get paid today. The COO was actually very nice and sent out a wonderful letter to the entire company. The company has also given everyone working for the company a weeks paid vacation for the trouble that we can take any time after October 1, 2011.

I'm still pissed, but I do feel mildly better.

I spent all morning looking and applying for jobs over the net, plus updating my resume. Needed a break by noon, but I'll be doing it again tomorrow.

Comment

Call the labor board. It is forbidden to not pay your workers. Work without pay is slavery, and they cannot withhold your wages from you. Slavery violates the thirteenth amendment. So call the labor board. It doesn't matter that they paid you finally, because if they did it once, they'll do it again. With no form of restitution.

Call them. It's the only way to prevent this from happening again.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
              Ok, I did get paid today. The COO was actually very nice and sent out a wonderful letter to the entire company. The company has also given everyone working for the company a weeks paid vacation for the trouble that we can take any time after October 1, 2011.

I'm still pissed, but I do feel mildly better.

I spent all morning looking and applying for jobs over the net, plus updating my resume. Needed a break by noon, but I'll be doing it again tomorrow.
              Am i the only one what finds it suspicious that you can't use it until after 1 Oct? A reward like that is worthless if the company folds after all.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                Am i the only one what finds it suspicious that you can't use it until after 1 Oct? A reward like that is worthless if the company folds after all.
                Yeah, I do too. But if I go to the labor board, then I'll probably be fired. I imagine they're just looking for reasons right now, and we need the money. I'm trying to find another job. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying crap if I have to call off, or move a shift, or anything else for an interview. I'm out of here asap.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                  Call the labor board. It is forbidden to not pay your workers. Work without pay is slavery, and they cannot withhold your wages from you. Slavery violates the thirteenth amendment. So call the labor board. It doesn't matter that they paid you finally, because if they did it once, they'll do it again. With no form of restitution.

Call them. It's the only way to prevent this from happening again.
                  It's not slavery unless they are holding a gun to your head to keep you at work, and unless they try to tell you that you are no longer a free person and they can sell your labor to someone else without your consent and no you can't quit because you're now property.

All the 13th amendment does is keep people from owning other people as legal property that can be bought and sold.

Failing to pay someone is breech of contract, not slavery. There's nothing to keep the employee from walking away.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Glad to hear you finally got your money, but this is still a huge red flag, IMO. Also glad to hear you are looking to get out, 'cause I think those who stick around will regret it.

Comment

I would rate their promises of "pay" as fufu bird shit and expect to be stiffed for at least the last pay period, if not more.

I would cash thier checks at their bank, and not mine, to avoid "my" bank cashing it as a "courtesy" and then yanking the funds when they refuse to pay.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Glad you got your pay despite all that crap. How's the job search going so far?
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                          Glad you got your pay despite all that crap. How's the job search going so far?
                          I'm trying. I've only had one call back and that was months ago. I'm stepping it up though, and looking outside my industry too.

Comment

Outside of the industry how? Like where?

Sorry...just curious.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                              Yeah, I do too. But if I go to the labor board, then I'll probably be fired. I imagine they're just looking for reasons right now, and we need the money. I'm trying to find another job. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying crap if I have to call off, or move a shift, or anything else for an interview. I'm out of here asap.
                              They might, but IIRC, that's retaliation, which is also illegal, and will typically get you reinstated with back pay, and they'll be slapped with fines.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              I would cash thier checks at their bank, and not mine, to avoid "my" bank cashing it as a "courtesy" and then yanking the funds when they refuse to pay.

Definitely do this, been down this road, and if not getting paid is bad enough, having to pay for my employer's mistake is even worse. Keep in mind that that check bouncing may only cost you $35, but if it calls other checks you write to bounce, that's $35 each one, and even if they don't go under, they're likely to refuse to reimburse you since they're not in any way required to.
                              Last edited by Javarod; 09-12-2011, 02:39 AM. Reason: Consolidated two posts
                              Seph
                              Taur10
                              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                                Read between the lines - looks to me like the company is closing its doors on October 1, 2011.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X