Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting to the point where I hate going to the doctor...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting to the point where I hate going to the doctor...

Nothing ever seems to come from me seeing my doctor. My actual GP fobbed me off for years when I told her I had anxiety, when I actually got referred by a GP at the same practice for therapy, I was left twiddling my thumbs for about 6 months (I actually quit therapy last week as after leaving me to my own devices for 2 months they were expecting me to make expensive bus journeys and move work shifts around for THEM when they could have seen me right around the corner from my workplace!! I ended up feeling that WAITING for the so-called professionals to get round to me, my life was on pause because I was too scared to do anything on my own. While it means my tokophobia and related issues will now not be treated, and I'm fucked there really, it means I'm tackling my dental and dog fears by myself and making better progress if I might say so too!)

I get an itchy ear. Old GP told me its because I have a germ in there sometimes and makes it itchy. It actually stopped for a while earlier this year because I had a massive HORRENDOUS ear infection, but started to come back and I got very itchy yesterday. And then I scratched too hard. I could feel instantly I'd hurt myself a little. Oops.

But the pain I'd caused didn't alleviate the itching, so I got out the drops, checked they were in date, and put them in last night. Everything seemed fine. Then I rolled over onto that ear in my sleep.

I woke up in the wee hours feeling very sore and a crackling popping noise going off quietly in my ear. The noise faded away but the pain remained.

My ear feels blocked but I can tell its just because everything is swollen in there. The pain comes and goes but when its there...oh its there. And going by what happened last year, it'll probably feel like agony tomorrow.

So I call the doctors, and the bitch on reception first of all interrupted me as I began to tell her I needed an appointment ("HOLD PLEASE!") and then refused to give me an appointment for tomorrow as its "not an emergency". I said 2Well, I've had these symptons before and I'm likely to be on cocodomal by tomorrow."

"But you're not on cocodomal now are you?"

I mean, I could understand if she were a teeny bit sympathetic if she said "I'm very sorry, but I can't give out tomorrow's emergency appointments today" and acted nice about it, but she acted like I was a bother. She didn't care when I said it is hurting now. I told her that its happened before, but nooo. She even acted like I was making it up when I was trying to fit an appointment AROUND work rather than book anything regardless of my work hours. Excuse me bitch, but some of us can't AFFORD to take time off work! This is why I want to see a doctor before the pain knocks me for 6 and I miss a couple of days!

If I have to miss work, I want to miss work now, not next week. If I miss any time in December I automatically lose my Christmas bonus

I fucking hate that surgery.

I feel very badly for your situation. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Your complaint about appointments is a common one. GPs are simply overwhelmed, and getting an appointment is very difficult on short notice. I doubt she meant to be sucky, she's probably just frustrated with all the frustrated patients getting upset because they can't get an appointment.

This is part of the reason why people abuse ERs . . . because you don't need an appointment, and you don't have to have insurance.

It's also why corner pharmacies like Walgreens and Walmart have been experimenting with nurse practitioners to deal with minor problems, so patients can get them treated before they get out of hand. But the idea is still new.

If you have insurance, I'd look into a fast track.

If you don't, you can try the ER. But if you go between 5pm and 12 midnight, expect a long wait (as in 4-6 hours, depending on where you live).
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
      I feel very badly for your situation. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Your complaint about appointments is a common one. GPs are simply overwhelmed, and getting an appointment is very difficult on short notice. I doubt she meant to be sucky, she's probably just frustrated with all the frustrated patients getting upset because they can't get an appointment.

This is part of the reason why people abuse ERs . . . because you don't need an appointment, and you don't have to have insurance.

It's also why corner pharmacies like Walgreens and Walmart have been experimenting with nurse practitioners to deal with minor problems, so patients can get them treated before they get out of hand. But the idea is still new.

If you have insurance, I'd look into a fast track.

If you don't, you can try the ER. But if you go between 5pm and 12 midnight, expect a long wait (as in 4-6 hours, depending on where you live).
      I'm from the UK, so its the NHS.

To be honest, I honestly think she was just a bitch. She didn't sound frustrated...she sounded bored and unfussed. She didn't seem wound up by my call, just utterly apathetic and uncaring about the fact I was in pain. And my manager had the exact same problem on Tuesday with the same surgery <.<

Comment

There are some urgent cares in my area, so I use those quite a bit. I have no idea if they have anything like that in the UK, though. Sitting for hours in an ER, especially when you're in pain, sucks.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I'm almost certain I would not be seen in A&E (Accident and Emergency) for an ear infection.

You know what, I'm getting so pissed off that not only am I definately writing a letter of complaint but I'm also starting to think about finding a new surgery and also on the verge of making a complaint to my local Member of Parliament. And yes I know I'm going straight into sucky mode here, but two days in a row now...

I got up at 8 (although I'd been awake since before dawn thanks to the fucking dog next door running up and down the stairs unattended) and went down to make the call. I ask if I could get an appointment for this evening and she SAYS NO! Now, I'm sorry, I don't think I was rude, but yes I know i'm starting to become unreasonable because when your cocktail of painkillers is starting to wear off and you haven't been able to sleep, and then the stupid receptionist says no....UGGH

Well anyway she said it turns out I have to call back after 12 even though her rude colleague told me otherwise. If this happens again at 12, I'm going to let my anger out on them. I know I shouldn't but you can't refuse treatment for an infection!

Comment

I know where I live we have a walk in centre, which can be really useful if the docs is booked out and you need to see someone about something like that. Not sure if you have one nearby but you can check the NHS Choices website to see if there is one.
            Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

May be worth to check if your town has an after hours surgery too, you may be able to find out online or by phoning the doctors surgery after it closes to see there's directions & a number for one.
              Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I'm going with the urgent care (or as you call it, after hours surgery) vote as well. I've been lucky so far this year and not had to go to urgent care *knocks on wood*. I don't have a lot of time to spend waiting for a doctor's appointment, and most of the time when I do need to see one right away, it's because I'm sick (like my yearly bout of acute bronchitis).
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Working...
                X