This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Truck

I felt kinda sorry for this pair, but they're obviously not the brightest pair, so I figured I'd share this.

A resident (R)and her boyfriend (BF) come up to me

R "Our truck is missing."
    Me "You're going to want to talk to security then."
    R "Well, we wanted to know if it was maybe towed."
    Me "You're going to want to talk to security."
    R "Okay."
    (2:17:12 PM) Mike: *dials security, hands over phone to BF, since it was his truck, he hands phone to R*
    R "What do I say?"
    Me "Tell them your truck is missing."
    *security picks up*
    R "Hi, my truck is missing."

And the whole time they were just very calm about it. It was like they were talking about having missed a bus.

*BONUS*
    This happened while I was typing up the story.

DG - Ditzy Girl

DG "Hi, can you put some money on my laundry card for me please?"
    Me "Actually, you do that yourself at the machine around the corner."
    DG "How do I do that?"
    Me "You put your card it, put the money in, then it spits your card out."
    DG "Oh!" *goes, comes back a minute or two later* "Yeah, it says error validating card"
    Me *thinking uh oh, are we having problems with the machines again?* "Here, let's go take a look" *walk the 30 ft. to the machine* "Can I see your laundry card?"
    DG *hands me her student ID, which is issued to every student who attends the college, by the college, and in no way resembles a laundry card, beyond being the same size as every other thing vaugely shaped like a credit card*
    Me "Uh, you said you wanted to put money on your laundry card?" (Had to ask, in case I misheard, because you can put small amounts on your student ID so you can print at the library)
    DG "Yeah!"
    Me "Then can you hand me your laundry card?"
    DG "What's that?"
    Me "The card you got when you moved in. Looks like this" *shows her example*
    DG "I don't think I got one of those."
    Me "Everyone did. You signed for it when you moved in."
    DG "Oh, I probably threw it somewhere. I didn't think I needed it."
    Me *internal facepalm* "It's a $10 replacement if you can't find it."
    DG "I'll go look for it."

Neither case was either person sucky, but seriously, if your truck's stolen, and I tell you to call security, you should be asking for their number, not what to say, and why would you throw out a card you were given when you move in, and had to sign for, and has a little picture of a washing machine on it?
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    And the whole time they were just very calm about it. It was like they were talking about having missed a bus.
    It must be nice to be able to deal with problems with that kind of calm.

I'd be:
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

I'd be:
      I'd be pretty calm... but that's because I have good insurance and know that no matter what I'm not out more than $500 (which is a lot, but something I can handle).

Oh and laundry card girl, yeah that is a new level of stupid, never lose track of something you signed for saying you had to pay to replace (our bus passes have a $50 replacement cost... I will know where it is 24 hours of the day).
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

How long have you guys been in school? Cause I started 3 weeks ago, and maybe its just me but no laundry in 3 weeks? This is a dorm room, doesn't seem like there would be room for a ton of clothes.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          I'd be pretty calm... but that's because I have good insurance and know that no matter what I'm not out more than $500 (which is a lot, but something I can handle).
          But the inconvenience, the paperwork, the phone calls, the car hunting...

Not fun.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
            How long have you guys been in school?
            Move-in day was August 29th/30th. So about 2 weeks. And you'd be surprised what you can fit in these rooms, if either a) you plan carefully, or b) you don't care about tidyness.

Comment

I'd be:
              You'd be surprised sometimes. I found out the hard way that the more serious a situation is, the calmer I am. So if I start to panic, then everything will be ok!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I had roommate who tossed the key to the outside door to the apartment. They figured "who needs two keys" Thankfully they got to pay for a new key and to rekey the locks.

Comment

why would you throw out a card you were given when you move in, and had to sign for, and has a little picture of a washing machine on it?
                  Maybe she was a spoiled little princess that had a maid/over-achieving mom that would ALWAYS do her laundry for her, and she went off to college not realizing that she had to do her *gasp* own laundry..

I can picture the conversation..

Princess to roommate: *Looking at mountain of dirty clothes* "Jeeze, when is that maid going to get in here and deal with this laundry? I'm running out of things to wear!"

Roommate: *shocked* "Uh, when you haul your ass and clothes down to the laundry room and do it your damned self?"

Comment

Heh - we had something like that in boarding school in the UK.

One young lady was akin to royalty in Malaysia (at least in her own mind), and asked the RA if she "was the woman who would be doing her laundry?" This girl also left her shoes outside the door every night the first week and was upset that nobody was cleaning her shoes for her.

Comment

the car hunting...

Not fun.
                      I actually kind of enjoy car shopping...

especially sense I actually have certification to sell cars (which may be expired by now though)... it is fun when the sales person thinks they are talking to an uneducated peon shopper only to find out I know the business just as well as they do...
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Honestly, being calm in a situation linke that is actually smart. They sound like they were used to being towed. Some jobs and vehicles force you into areas and situations that you shouldn't/aren't allowed to be in. Getting towed is a risk and it sometimes happens. Would have preferred for it to be a ranting EW who blames everyone but themselves?

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                          Would have preferred for it to be a ranting EW who blames everyone but themselves?
                          Not at all, but this wasn't a normal calm. This was some serious placid going on. I wasn't even sure they really grasped what was going on. Also the fact that a) the guy who's truck it was wouldn't talk. B) the girl had no clue what to say to security. C) They wouldn't accept the fact that the vehicle wasn't towed. (she asked 3 or 4 times, asking if I was sure. I've never heard of a vehicle being towed. Usually it's just ticketed.)

But there is a reason I put it in Brain Burps, not SC. They weren't sucky.

Comment

Working...
                          X