This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go p*** up a rope, lady (language)

You guys, this freaking twatwhistle. I was so pissed off.

She comes up to me asking for help with the wifi. I show her how to get on by typing a URL in the address bar (which COMPLETELY baffles her and I give up after explaining it three times), correct some minor issue like her putting the room number in wrong, and she and her husband are fine for about 45 minutes. I felt kinda apprehensive about the whole thing when I saw there was no browser but IE, but it was fine for a while.

She comes back up later, holding the computer, and sets it kind of sideways on the desk so we can both see it, and says she's no longer getting internet. I check the connection, it's fine. I pull up the browser, it's not loading any pages. I offer to call support, she asks how long that will take. I say "Usually about 15 minutes", because the support folks for our wifi system are VERY knowledgeable and pretty much always do a great job resolving the issue. She sighs and says that will be fine, so I call them up.

Support wants me to disconnect the wifi so they can disconnect and reconnect the guest on their end. The whole time I'm talking to them, I'm trying to use the touchpad, stretching way the hell over the desk to reach it because apparently she doesn't want me to have full control of the computer or to not be able to see what I'm doing. Every time I move the arrow with the touchpad, she makes a counter-move with the attached USB mouse and sends it in a different direction. I knew management wouldn't be on my side if I paused the phonecall and said "Ma'am, take your hand OFF the mouse if you want my help", so I just kinda gritted my teeth and finally got the wifi disconnected. The support guy disconnected and reconnected it like he said.

He told me to reconnect from my end, and then open a browser window. I reconnected the wifi and moved the mouse down to the IE logo (matters were not helped in this whole situation by my unfamiliarity with Windows 8), whereupon the woman clicked on the logo about 30 times because IE wasn't opening right away. Just...argh...gah! WHY? It's the same freaking mentality as the people who push the crosswalk button 8 times while they're waiting to cross the street. Mindless, pointless clicking. It's going to take LONGER if you do that.

Finally an IE window opened, or more accurately, 30 of them, and the support guy told me to go into "Tools" and start changing the settings. Every time I would open a new dialogue box and even mouse over something, she would click on it. I wanted to rip the mouse out of her hand and put it under the desk until we were done. She was making things 1000 times more difficult.

Finally I got to the options he wanted me to look at and described what boxes were checked and unchecked. He had me change a few things and we were about to try the new settings when the woman goes "Oh, this is just making me so nervous, we can't change the settings! This is my husband's computer! I guess I'll let him deal with this tomorrow."

Why did you fucking bring it to me if you didn't want help??? I apologized to the support tech as best I could with her still standing in front of me (I couldn't very well say "This stupid bitch wouldn't stop clicking on every fucking thing, I'm really not this computer-illiterate, if she hadn't been waving the mouse all over the damn place, including inadvertently shining the laser in my eyes because apparently it works better if you pick it up sometimes, I would have found "tools" about 20 times faster, and I'm sorry I wasted your fucking time this evening") and ended the call. UGH.
    Last edited by Dentarthurdent; 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM. Reason: remembered unflattering name I made up for this person
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Argh ...

When I travel I have an aging netbook I have had for a couple years that is loaded with vista, firefox, malware bytes, AVG and bejeweled. I do have all my ebooks and mp3s and a couple movies on it for entertainment. I don't do any banking or shopping - it is mainly for looking at maps and for places to eat or stuff to do on the road. It doesn't even have any bookmarks on it, and my normal homepage isn't set up - it is set on google as homepage.

Not that I am paranoid, but usually when traveling I don't have time to mess around online, and don't see any reason to let any information out to get mined. I suppose you could consider it a burn computer.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

When visiting family I take my tablet (much easier to transport, and there's always another computer I can use for email), but for other traveling I have my cranky old laptop. All my personal stuff (email, files, et al) is on a flashdrive with PortableApps; the laptop has Vista, Firefox, a few really old games running under a DOS emulator...nothing anybody would want (I don't even want Windows Vista) and I have a spare hard drive in case anything on the Vista drive gets borked.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Reminds me of when we first hired our Apple tech about a year and a half ago.

The guy doesn't drive but I had another technician doing a job in the same area so he dropped B off to fix an internet connectivity problem at the client's house.

Holy. Shit.

I felt so bad for B because it was literally the first job he'd done for us and it was a nightmare. The guy's wife was >.< this close the entire time, hanging over B's shoulder, and no matter what he was doing, she questioned EVERYTHING.

"Why are you clicking that? What does that setting do? Should you be clicking on that? Maybe you should click this."

After an hour of her hanging all over him and questioning every mouse click he finally had enough and called the other tech to pick him up. We never got the issue fixed but with the client's wife acting like that it's not surprising.

The client has been in the shop since then but I've never mentioned it. But if he ever requests a home visit I'm going to have to explain why we won't do that. Ever.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          Argh ... When I travel I have an aging netbook I have had for a couple years that is loaded with vista, firefox, malware bytes, AVG and bejeweled. I do have all my ebooks and mp3s and a couple movies on it for entertainment. I don't do any banking or shopping - it is mainly for looking at maps and for places to eat or stuff to do on the road. It doesn't even have any bookmarks on it, and my normal homepage isn't set up - it is set on google as homepage. Not that I am paranoid, but usually when traveling I don't have time to mess around online, and don't see any reason to let any information out to get mined. I suppose you could consider it a burn computer.
          Sounds like you might wanna consider picking up one of SurfEasy's products - they encrypt all traffic in and out of your computer & mobile device - they can even make it look to remote systems like you're in another country.

Comment

I think we need to define a new term. Just like we have illiterate and alliterate people, we also have technically illiterate and technically alliterate. This woman was the latter - not only did she know nothing about technology, but she actually hinders those who do.

Comment

Do these people hover over their car mechanic's or plumber's shoulder, questioning every move they make, moving things back and forth and generally kibitzing about every little adjustment? No? Then don't freaking do it to the computer repair people!!!

I wasn't even there and I can feel how irritating that must've been! You just want to yell at these idiots to shut up, sit down and let you do your work, but of course, they'd complain about the "rude" employee and "bad customer service"!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Actually, XCashier, they do. Oh, micro-demons, they do! Techs would constantly complain about the hover-arounds that would hang on their every breath and babble about everything going on. Sometimes questions about the product, other times, about completely unrelated stuff. But they would never leave more than a finger's width of space between themselves and the tech!

One of our lawn and garden techs threatened to get the crowbar from the van to remove the body-melder.. and if that failed, he'd get the torch. One of the appliance technicians swore he was going to stuff the next body-melder into the deep freezer chest he was working on. Yeah... The electronics tech threatened to make his body-melder become one with the rear projection big screen.. without removing the screen first.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Do these people hover over their car mechanic's or plumber's shoulder, questioning every move they make, moving things back and forth and generally kibitzing about every little adjustment? No? Then don't freaking do it to the computer repair people!!!
                  I guess you've never seen the classic "repair shop sign. It has a list of rates.

Fixing it $X
                  If you tried to fix it first $XX
                  If you try to help $XXX

Comment

"Oh, excuse me, ma'am, I'm going to need the mouse."

*puts mouse in pocket*

"Now, tech support, what were you saying?"
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I wasn't even there and I can feel how irritating that must've been! You just want to yell at these idiots to shut up, sit down and let you do your work, but of course, they'd complain about the "rude" employee and "bad customer service"!

It's probably my biggest pet peeve of working in the computer field. I HATE it when people hang over my shoulder.

And they try to do it in the shop, too... they don't realize it can take hours to run a hard drive test or a virus scan and think they can just wait in the shop for us to do our thing. Yeah- NO. It doesn't work like that. Unless I specifically tell you I can do something while you wait (copy a file, install a driver, pop in a memory chip) then you leave your computer and get the fuck out of my store.

Then they call three times a day to see when they'll be done. For the thousandth time: I will happily call you when you're done. I DON'T want your computer in the shop. I want your money in the register.

Pardon me while I go beat a random passerby with a laptop.

Comment

Wow! What a freaking control freak moron!! I think I would have had to walk away from her before I snapped and grabbed the mouse and bonked her in the (empty) head with it a couple times!

Why do people who know nothing, and bring their devices to someone for help hover like that? I can see asking a few questions in order to learn a bit maybe but anything else is overkill. I know enough about all my devices to know when a problem is beyond my ability and it's time to call tech support. Usually I have already run the idiot checks but gladly do it again for the tech who is trying to HELP me. Questioning their every move makes them not want to help me. I get this, wish SC's did too!

Comment

Working...
                        X