This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating whether to take a mini-vacation

The final large(ish) deposit from my mother's estate has dropped into my bank account (and been dealt with). There are some small deposits coming but generally, this is it.

I've been debating taking a week off work ... just because. Especially if they don't start cutting my hours (it appears they might be doing that -- the schedule two weeks ahead is somewhat lighter than my schedule has been for several weeks now. But I'll have to see the week or two after that to know whether this is just a fluke.)

Also, March is a three-paycheque month ... but I don't have paid vacation time, so of course if I take a week off, it will be unpaid time. Which will leave me with 2.5 paycheques in March.

I have no plans to go anywhere; I just want to spend some time working on my apartment. My housekeeping has slipped pretty badly.

Thoughts?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I would take off at least a few days to have a breather from work, life, and everything else in between, maybe a week at the most. Take a few days to get the apartment in order then maybe go do a few things you've been wanting to do. Or just stay at home and do nothing, those count as plans anyway.

But, yea, I'd take some time off before you go stir crazy.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I'm all for taking time off from work just because. Just because you're taking "vacation" doesn't mean you have to be taking a trip.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Getting away even for a couple of days sounds like it will do you good.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I had vacation days where I did very little else except sleep. Sometimes that's what you need. You don't owe anybody else any justification for what you do on your vacation.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks, all. Yeah, I'm gonna schedule some time off at the end of May ... either after today's shift (if I remember) or Sunday's (ditto).

It'll be interesting to see whether my request (assuming it's authorized, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be) results in a scheduling foul-up even though I'm giving them plenty of warning ...
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I had vacation days where I did very little else except sleep.
              I did a post-tax season long weekend like that. Like the Office Space protagonist, I did nothing and it was everything I imagined it could be.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Now that you've scheduled that time off, you may also want to consider filling it with something other than a staycation... See how much energy you have, and where you might want to spend it.

Comment

So I put in my request today for this staycation ... it starts on a Saturday and runs until the following Sunday and since I also don't work Mondays and Tuesdays ...

Among other things, I want to get into my vehicle (note to self: make sure CAA membership is up-to-date) and tool around the area to get to know some of the smaller towns and communities outside of the city. AND visit some of the interesting places IN the city.

Besides scrubbing up my apartment, of course.

Oh, and probably also ramping up my job search ... although that's something I intend to start in the next day or so
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Sounds good, just remember to turn off your phone....at least block your pointy-haired boss's number.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Oh gods, now every time I look at the store manager, I'm going to see the pointy-haired boss ...

I have a landline at home which I rarely answer (and almost always regret it when I do) and they don't have my cellphone number, for the simple reason that that phone is almost NEVER turned on (except when I'm actually using it), so ...

They are quite welcome to leave messages on my landline, which I will happily ignore for the entire week.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                      X