This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people should just NOT have cable boxes

I don't understand some people. Are people that clueless that they must make the SIMPLEST instructions into a 20-30 minute call! And this is only UNPLUGGING the stupid box! I think those people should not have cable boxes if they don't know the meaning of the words UNPLUG. I have told customers time and time again to unplug their box but they always tell me, "i still see the time on the box, oh, i still see "no data" on my menu screen. Hello! That means that the box is NOT unplug and you are unplugging the TV or UNSCREWING the cable line.
    I had spent 20 minutes just telling the guy to unplug his cable box so finally, I just said FUCK IT so I had a tech go out there. I am not spending another 10 minutes with this fool.

I also had one guy call just to turn off his TV! His box was interrupted and he had a problem turning off the TV. I had to tell him just to power off his tv using the TV itself! I swear, TV, cable boxes, VCR and DVD players have been around YEARS, I don't understand how people do not know the OBVIOUS the way to turn off something or even unplug something.

I am sorry if I sound hostile but I can't stand people who don't follow the most simplest instructions.

Also, a little lesson, Turn off the cable box does not mean unplug the box!
    Last edited by MoonChild2007; 10-21-2008, 09:03 PM.

Anytime I ever have a problem with a cable box (or modem), the first thing I always do is unplug it.

What i don't get, is that the techs always make me do it anyway.

Tech: "I need you to unplug all the cables from the box, wait 20 seconds and put them back."

Me: "Already tried that. I unplugged the power and coax cables, gave it a minute, put everything back, and even tried rebooting the box itself."

Tech: "Do it again anyway." (Then proceeds to give me the most dumbed down explanation of how to do something I already know how to do... in which I usually interrupt them after their first sentence)

Me: "Ok, it's done"

...and imagine that! NOTHING HAPPENS!

Sorry, a bit side-tracked, and I udnerstand that most tech calls are from people that have a... less than average... understanding of these things, but still...
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I am not referring to the fact that unplugging will make the box work, I am referring to those people who do not know the meaning of the word, unplug!

Comment

Yeesh. That takes a special kind of person. "Unplug the cord from the wall please." "It's still turned on." Ugh.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
          Anytime I ever have a problem with a cable box (or modem), the first thing I always do is unplug it.

What i don't get, is that the techs always make me do it anyway.
          Having done tech support in the past, I can attest that many companies will require their techs to make certain that particular procedures are done while on the phone with the caller... even if the caller states that they have already done said procedure.
          With many tech support procedure, there is a specific order in which the troubleshooting steps must be completed.
          By doing so, it ensures that all bases have been covered and no step was left out and guarantees that the tech on call has sufficiently covered all of the basic troubleshooting steps while on the phone with the customer.

Annoying at times? Yes, especially if you as a caller are a tech-savvy person .
          "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Me: "Ok, it's done"
            might as well lie about it at that point...

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
              Having done tech support in the past, I can attest that many companies will require their techs to make certain that particular procedures are done while on the phone with the caller... even if the caller states that they have already done said procedure.
              With many tech support procedure, there is a specific order in which the troubleshooting steps must be completed.
              By doing so, it ensures that all bases have been covered and no step was left out and guarantees that the tech on call has sufficiently covered all of the basic troubleshooting steps while on the phone with the customer.

Annoying at times? Yes, especially if you as a caller are a tech-savvy person .
              It also makes their tier 1 cheaper, they don't have to hire techies just flowchart muppets
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Lingering Grin: The reason we make you do it anyway is because the average cable subscriber can't be trusted to have done it right. "Pull the power cord from the box, please." "Um, is that the one where it says HDMI?" *facepalm*

DevilBoy: Dead on. The majority of CSR's will actually skip the unnecessary steps to speed the process along, but some customers you do need to follow the 'flowchart' if your company does use one (mine doesn't.)

PepperElf: Please, please don't. It's insulting, and I'd hate to call you out when I pull a reading off the box, and it reports that it's been online for 1 day, 12 hours, 18 minutes, 10 seconds. And believe me, if you pull that, I will call you out and make you feel stupid.

Naaman: Please, watch the broad paintbrush. My company's script is "Thank you for calling Awesome Cable Company, where *national high speed product* is faster than ever, my name is *agent's name,* how may I help you?" We do not script beyond that, because it's unnecessary. We pay well, we train very well, and we expect a lot from our agents because the customer-facing agent is the primary source of new revenue. I do know there are some cable companies which require scripting *cough*Comcast*cough,* but again, it ain't all of us and we resent being thought of in that way.

Comment

Quoth Jack Doe View Post
                  Naaman: Please, watch the broad paintbrush. My company's script is "Thank you for calling Awesome Cable Company, where *national high speed product* is faster than ever, my name is *agent's name,* how may I help you?" We do not script beyond that, because it's unnecessary. We pay well, we train very well, and we expect a lot from our agents because the customer-facing agent is the primary source of new revenue. I do know there are some cable companies which require scripting *cough*Comcast*cough,* but again, it ain't all of us and we resent being thought of in that way.
                  Apologies and no offence meant
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                  X