X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My customers don't like fat people

Two incidents today.

1) A lady had just gotten in line with her kids. The kids wanted to go to McDonalds for lunch, and were starting to get kind of whiny about it. She said "No, we can't go to McDonalds. Eating there will make you sick and fat and ugly."

2) I was in a register the first half of my shift that was right by a donut display. A smartass comes up and says "Why'd they put you by the donut display?" Kind of not knowing what he was asking, I replied "Well, this is an express lane and we need at least one person in here right now." He said, "No, why'd they put YOU in here? You look like you've had more than your share of donuts in your lifetime."

Yes, I'm fat, asshole. But I can lose the weight, and you'll always be an asshole.

Wow. My dear jerk, the word is TACT. With a side of MANNERS thrown in for good measure. Maybe a nice big glass of SHUT-THE-HELL-UP while we're at it. (Obviously directed towards the ass you dealt with today!)

Comment

People can be so incredibly rude and tactless. What's the matter with them? I hope in their next lives, they come back as less than perfect examples of the human race.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine
        People can be so incredibly rude and tactless. What's the matter with them? I hope in their next lives, they come back as less than perfect examples of the human race.
        What do you mean "in the next life?" They already are less than perfect examples already just in their behavior
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Holy Crap!!! That was just plain uncalled for!

I really honestly think there needs to be legalized beatings for those that truely deserve it. Because he SURELY needs a good beating!
          "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm fat too. Bigtime. I've just started going to a Dr. not only because of a leg problem that came up a few weeks ago, but I also was off work sick several days (first time in almost 2.5 years of employment, except for two days I took off for the below mentioned car incident) for being sick prior to my leg situation. The leg problem is what drove me to seek help, but that aside, with prodding from coworkers and management (in a caring way) I decided it was time to overcome my fears of going to the Dr. Got my first physical in my adult life a couple days ago. Hell, I didn't even go when I got hit by a car (essentially knocked down from a slow moving car) almost two years ago, resulting in a sprained knee.

I feel fortunate and thankful, that our family owned Company did not turn me away from employment based my weight, like I suspect, (maybe I'm wrong) that a big Corp. that wants a "pretty people" image might have.

One of the managers, who was one of them that insisted I go see a Dr. is obese too, as is one of the other male employees. We have others that are fat, but probably don't qualify as obese.

I'll joke about my weight, with coworkers and some customers such as if a customer comments on their picture on their Driver's License when I check their I.D. I'll sometimes say that the pic on mine makes me look heavy, or fat. This usually gets a chuckle, and I think puts them at ease with whatever they are worried about with their pic.

So, I can fairly easily take lightheated jokes about my weight, it just depends on the source, and how I perceive it. But, it is incredibly rude for a customer to comment on an employees weight, unless they are a regular, and know the employee well enough to be sure it won't offend them, or if the customer themself is heavy, and may make a joke that the employee could "relate" to.

And when the leg is fully healed, I want to get off my fat butt and start getting some exercise!

Sorry this is so long, as most of my posts seem to be! I hope Raps doesn't put a character limit on my posts!
            Last edited by JustaCashier; 07-12-2006, 08:46 PM.
            Meow.........

Comment

I'm not fat, however, I do have very big hips and a large bust so I've gotten nasty comments before. I just want to tell the guys who make nasty comments that it's not my fault that they think that all women should look like teenage boys... it's their latent homosexuality that's the problem!
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

I am also rather large. The last time somebody called me fat, I came back with, "OMG, I'm fat? When did that happen?!? C'mon, can't you come up with something better than that?"

The person who said that to me wasn't exactly skinny herself.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth erik316wttn
                  But I can lose the weight, and you'll always be an asshole.
                  Exactly what I would have said to that waste of skin. The gloves are officially off at that point. But I know that you'd probably have gotten yourself into trouble by responding, so it reflects well on your self-control that you didn't.

And to Lace Neil Singer...I actually have said that before!!
                  Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne

And to Lace Neil Singer...I actually have said that before!!
                    Good for you!
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth DGoddess
                      What do you mean "in the next life?" They already are less than perfect examples already just in their behavior
                      I was so mad when I read that that I wasn't clear. I hope they come back as something that falls into their opinion as "less than perfect". Better?
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I am also a large woman, and have had many insults and nasty remarks sent my way over the years. *sigh* Many of the people sending them are far from perfect specimens themselves, so what gives them the right to say anything?

Usually I simply walk away since it's not worth engaging in a war of words with an unarmed opponent but once I did get in a good zinger. To one man who insisted on being really obnoxious and downright cruel about my appearance, I finally said "I'm about to lose 200 pounds of ugly fat--when you walk out the door." The guy turned beet red and walked away without another word.

Anyway, it's too bad you had to endure some jerk's feeble attempt to prop up his non-existent self-respect by flailing at yours. Consider the source and hang in there.

Comment

Quoth erik316wttn
                          Two incidents today.

1) Eating there will make you sick and fat and ugly
                          well I agree with that one, I think maccas is quite discusting (food wise not employee wise.. we all have to pay rent) and at least she was parenting her kids... even if in a strange way. Although if she was saying that directed it at you then how pathetic of her.

but the second guy... what a prick!! How dare he say that to you

perfect responce "well you cant lose ugly, so how unfortunate for you" although that would most likely get you in trouble.
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Brighid45
                            I am also a large woman, and have had many insults and nasty remarks sent my way over the years. *sigh* Many of the people sending them are far from perfect specimens themselves, so what gives them the right to say anything?
                            I've never figured that out either.

One time I was having lunch at a salad bar, and after I made my salad I made a small dessert as well. I heard a man's voice behind me, "Are you sure that's on your diet?" I turned around and there was this jerk with a s***-eating grin. He'd said that. The kicker? He was nearly twice my size!!!

I really wanted to say, "No, but it's on your suit!" and smear it all over his jacket. But I'm too nice.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Perhaps those who feel they have to make fun of others do so to hide their fears about themselves, and that is why it's the not-so-perfect-yourself types who do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X