This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying pennies ahoy

Today I get this strange guy in my line, along with his normal wife/girlfriend. I had dealt with him before, and found him to be annoying but generally harmless. He's the type who uses the whole "you look bored" introductory corny phrase, waits until the end to let me scan his discount card so that he could "watch the prices go down so that it feels like I'm saving something", and makes general stupid comments about things as I scan them. He began his transaction by slamming down a pack of gum on the register to get my attention while I'm helping another customer, right by my ear because I was bending down to get something out of the bottom of the cart. He waits until I'm done scanning his stuff to go get cigarettes, so his wife/girlfriend and I are standing there waiting while a line is forming. Somehow it ends up that I owe him 3 cents in change. He takes it, and as I am pushing the cart around the register to get it ready to load for the next person, he throws the pennies at me, saying "Oh I meant to get them in your pocket" as they hit the floor. I stand there just shocked that someone would actually throw money at me in an attempt to tip me 3 cents (which we can't accept anyway). Two little girls help me out by getting 2 of the pennies off of the floor (never found the third) and I just put them back in my till, just in case. Of course, at the end of the night I was 2 cents over. No big deal, since we can be up to $5 off and be ok, but the knowledge that I would have been perfect just adds a little more burn to the whole pennies being flung in my direction thing.

"My pocket is not a game of ring toss, jack *ss."

I used to have a couple who would come into the Chesterfield store at least once a month, sometimes once a week... they were both a little slow, and the woman was electric chair bound... but, the thing that bugged me about them, is as soon as you open your mouth to help them, he would start talking a mile a minute...
    "I went to Six Flags over the weekend! I went in to Jack in the Box, and put in an application, and they said they'd hire me. Is this the version of The Fly with Jeff Goldblum?" And so on, only stopping for a few minutes every so often to yell at his companion (girlfriend, wife, sister? I don't think anyone knew) who apparantly was slightly deaf as well, as he would raise his voice above its usual shriek so she could hear him.
    "Are we looking for anything today?
    Are we looking for anything today?"

When we saw him coming, most of us would hide, he was that bad.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Odd that he was playing target practice with your pocket, Coop. You should get a sling and hurl them back at him as he's going out the door.

Quoth Juwl
      When we saw him coming, most of us would hide, he was that bad.
      I wish my store was big enough to hide in. Mostly what I do is stare out the window and spy on people who might be coming in. I usually have a little internal (or external if nobody is around) monologue that goes something like this:

"Don't you dare come in here. Don't you dare come in here. Don't you dare come in here. If you come in here, I will be so pissed. So pissed will I be if you come in. Stay out there. Put those movies in the drop box. That's right, drop those suckers in there, and then just walk away. Walk away. Walk away now. Oh, you'd better not be coming in here after putting those movies in the drop box. Oh my God, you are. You're coming in. You rat bastard. I swear to God if you come in here I will HIIIIIIIII, welcome to Hollywood Video!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl
        the woman was electric chair bound...
        Sorry, that just sounded funny.
        The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

OOOOHHH!!!! If someone throws their money at me, I throw it right back! I've actually done this to quite a few A*holes. Let them complain. You will get your change back in exactly the same manner that you gave me your money. If you put it on the counter, don't stand there with your hand out and expect me to put it there. IT WON'T HAPPEN.
          USN Retired

Comment

Lemme get this straight--this dope threw PENNIES at you? I'm with Stickycoins on this one--right back atcha, Mister Lamearse! Not in a violent way of course--you could claim you were trying to get a penny in his ear so it would hit the one functioning fuse he's got left in his brainpan, and short it out.

Comment

Quoth bars.of.a.rhyme

I wish my store was big enough to hide in. Mostly what I do is stare out the window and spy on people who might be coming in. I usually have a little internal (or external if nobody is around) monologue that goes something like this:

"Don't you dare come in here. Don't you dare come in here. Don't you dare come in here. If you come in here, I will be so pissed. So pissed will I be if you come in. Stay out there. Put those movies in the drop box. That's right, drop those suckers in there, and then just walk away. Walk away. Walk away now. Oh, you'd better not be coming in here after putting those movies in the drop box. Oh my God, you are. You're coming in. You rat bastard. I swear to God if you come in here I will HIIIIIIIII, welcome to Hollywood Video!"
              OMG, I do the same thing. We are between a Blockbuster and a Pizza Hut in a strip mall, and every time someone parks in the lot, I just sit there like, "Go to Pizza Hut, go to Pizza Hut, oh you bastard, you know you want some pizza..." then as they veer towards my store it's, "Go to Blockbuster, go to Blockbuster, c'mon you *sshole, you know you want to rent a movie and go home and sit on your *ss and not bother me, go to Blockbuster...no, oh why must you come in here and pester me, I'm not interested in dealing with you today, I was so happy sitting here thinking my own thoughts for once-- Hi! What can I do for you today, sir?"
              Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth bars.of.a.rhyme
                OMG! Too funny!

Comment

That's hilarious! I do that too. We're at a busy intersection and sometimes people just drive through our parking lot so they can change direction while avoiding traffic. I'll see cars driving by the pumps and I'll be like, don't stop don't stop don't stop... aww crap, they stopped. Now I have to hear the annoying beep of the gas pumps needing approving, and then I have to serve more customers...
                  We have huge windows at the front of the store, and sometimes I see some of our regular SCs coming from far away, but unfortunately I can't hide because I'm usually working alone.

Comment

I had quite a few customers give me their miniscule change back before, though they never actually threw it. ::shakes head:: I usually left it on my counter as a sort of "Take a penny" pile, in case someone came up a penny or two short. If I had coins leftover in that pile by the end of the day, I'd go drop them in the Children's Miracle Network donation bin. That way they never affected my till count.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Re: The muttering under breath thing. I did that all the time at the garden centre, usually directed towards the IM... so much that when I changed jobs my collegues at the pizza place would say "Are you talking to me?" and I'd reply, "Sorry, my last job drove me insane; I'm talking to myself."
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

At the gas station, before I started closing up early, if it got to be about 10 minutes to close or even closer to close than that, and I'd see cars coming down the road, I'd quietly go "Keep going, keep going, nothing to see here!" "Keep going!" "Don't stop!"
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

A little update on this story: I saw him again today, but fortunately I was on express and didn't have to deal with him. I talked to my manager (who is really awesome) about him, and she was shocked too. She asked me to point him out and was like "Oh yeah, he's weird". I also told the story to some other cashiers, and now he's known as the weird coin throwing guy.

Comment

I probably would have called him back over and said in a nice, even tone:

"If you ever throw something at me again, I will have you charged with assault."

My tone is just enough that they know I'm not bluffing.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                            X