This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting very tired of it

You would not believe the number of guests that say "I don't need/want anything" when housekeeping comes to their room, and then they bitch about housekeeping not cleaning it. Our housekeeping staff is not 24 hours. Our housekeepers don't start going to the rooms until after checkout time (11 am) so if you refuse service, it's your own fault and they won't be back to finish it. Our housekeeping hours are limited.

No, you will not be getting money back just because you are stupid and don't understand that a hotel with so few rooms doesn't have a 24 hour housekeeper.

I really don't have time to be walking around to all the rooms every day, but apparently I'm going to need to.

Just yesterday, we had someone say no service, and have a DND on their door, then they whined to the front desk in the evening that their room wasn't done. It's happening about once a day.

They are either stupid or looking for a refund/discount, I am willing to bet both.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Are you SURE I can't come and work for you? The amusement would be hysterical.

Comment

I'm pretty certain they are just looking for something to be upset about.

Kind of like the person that throws a fit so many times when they're invited to a party or something, so people the next time, don't invite them, and then they turn around and start screaming why weren't they invited??

If that didn't help as example, we'll try another.

There's a couple at a restaurant and they both want a slice of pumpkin pie, but there's only one piece of pumpkin left, and the guy doesn't speak up, just shrugs or has a blank look, so the girl takes the pumpkin and later on, the guy goes whining to their friends at their house, "She MADE me get the strawberry pie!"
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
          I really don't have time to be walking around to all the rooms every day, but apparently I'm going to need to.

I'm not quite sure I understand here. What would you be doing there? Asking the residents if they want housekeeping service?

If so, why not just tell them at checkin that the housekeepers only check once (or twice, if it's twice) and ...

.... <looks at the forum name>. Never mind.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I stayed in a hotel in the city where you work. Ther was a small plaque on every door explaining that if you refuse service there will be no service later in the day. Beyond that one day we refused service becaus frankly we aren't pigs and we don't need clean sheets every day and we were on our honeymoon and were looking for a mid day nap. The maid was a lovely person and asked us to kindly sign a sheet to prove that we had refused service. She apologized saying that they had a problem with guests claiming they skipped rooms to finish up early. I felt very bad for the staff there. They were a hotel close to bourbon street but not on it so they got a lot of people looking for a cheep room near the party.

Comment

Ugh. How annoying for you. My mom and were recently on a trip, and stayed in a very nice resort. the one day, we ended up simply hanging out in our room as we were tired, it was cold out, etc. But...I called housekeeping and let them know a. we didn't need our room done, and b. we did need clean towels, and if they could bring them sometime, that would be lovely.

THye came shortly thereafter, and also asked if they could take the trash, which they did. But had we refused altogether, we wouldn't have complained.

Comment

We had to establish a new policy.

Housekeeping needs to tell me when they are done 2 rooms so I can check them before they go on to the next. This allows me to catch things (and I have caught a few things they didn't), and protects my housekeepers from lying guests.

Front desk now has instructions that they are to check every notation on all the housekeeping reports. If they say no service, they are to make sure of it and not allow the housekeepers to leave until they have verified it or the housekeeper has gone back to the room.

I am now recording the rooms that I check, and whether they have a DND on the door. Interesting thing is... we were having 1-3 rooms per housekeeper come back as "no service" rooms per dau. Now, since I started doing this magically *poof* we haven't had ANY no service rooms.

I'm starting to wonder if they were using the "No Service" designation on the sheets to allow them to drop (means=not clean) rooms without permission. I have removed this designation from the sheets. No room is EVER a "No Service" room without permission from management.

They do have a "Refused Service" designation that they can use but they are now expected to record the time it happened and then go back later in the day to confirm that the guest does not want the service.

My philosophy is... if the guest doesn't want service, they will put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. They also have a DND designation on the sheet.

Also, since I started this, we haven't once had a complaint about housekeeping. Then again, it's only been a couple days, so time will tell.

The housekeepers aren't particularly happy with me since I'm riding them a bit at the moment, but oh well.

It also means that I'm heading well into overtime hours, but apparently it's needed.

That being said, I've taken a look in the past at rooms the housekeepers have cleaned, and its incredibly aggravating when I KNOW the room was clean and the guests are running to the front to complain for some dumb reason.

Not to mention, we are having to order a massive linen for every room because people are destroying them. Last week alone we had 15 towels/hand towels/facecloths somehow disappear. I walked in to one room where it was obvious someone had used the facecloth to remove their makeup (we can't clean those, people. Even Reclaim can't remove mascara stains).

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of disrespect people have for hotel rooms.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                I'm not quite sure I understand here. What would you be doing there? Asking the residents if they want housekeeping service?

If so, why not just tell them at checkin that the housekeepers only check once (or twice, if it's twice) and ...

.... <looks at the forum name>. Never mind.
                To answer your question I meant "go to every room" as in "check each room for cleanliness". It takes quite a long time during the day to do that, and we are full or almost full pretty much every night. I had no idea 26 rooms would mean that I'm getting my butt kicked each and every day. Most hotels have some down time. Ours rarely ever does.
                Last edited by Moirae; 11-19-2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Could you not get together with management and talk to the housekeepers and have the most experienced/trustworthy given a bit more responsibility so that that person is then responsible for checking the rooms and whatnot so that you don't have to do it? Or are they all simply not responsible enough, period, and there's nobody to do this task but you?
                  The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

One hotel i worked at saved a ton of linen by using shaving cream to get out makeup stains, just a tip!

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                      Not to mention, we are having to order a massive linen for every room because people are destroying them. Last week alone we had 15 towels/hand towels/facecloths somehow disappear. I walked in to one room where it was obvious someone had used the facecloth to remove their makeup (we can't clean those, people. Even Reclaim can't remove mascara stains).
                      I stayed in a hotel on vacation that had little signs in the bathroom explaining, in the politest terms possible, that their linens and hair dryers and such had become "extremely popular", and if they were to be removed from the room, management would assume that you were authorizing a charge for the items, priced according to the following price list...

And they were exorbitant prices, like $15 for a pillow and $45 for a hair dryer.
                      "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                      Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                        Could you not get together with management and talk to the housekeepers and have the most experienced/trustworthy given a bit more responsibility so that that person is then responsible for checking the rooms and whatnot so that you don't have to do it? Or are they all simply not responsible enough, period, and there's nobody to do this task but you?
                        They have an inpsectress. She's normally very good at what she does. In the last month or so, she got a second job and it appears to be too much for her. Hence the new standards.

Quoth Dentarthurdent View Post
                        I stayed in a hotel on vacation that had little signs in the bathroom explaining, in the politest terms possible, that their linens and hair dryers and such had become "extremely popular", and if they were to be removed from the room, management would assume that you were authorizing a charge for the items, priced according to the following price list...

And they were exorbitant prices, like $15 for a pillow and $45 for a hair dryer.
                        That's a very good idea. I'm going to have a chat with the GM and see what he thinks.

Comment

The chain I often stay with in the U of K has taken steps over the years. Last time I stopped there, the kettles were naffer than I'd ever experienced, and that's saying something given how often I've been there. Took ages to boil, struggled to fill them, and obviously cheaper by the thousand. Also, given the security precautions taken to hold them in place, they're obviously still being stolen.

Can't imagine why.

Rapscallion

Comment

I really don't get why people steal things from hotels. The linens are used and used and used again and again and wearing out, as is everything else. It's the nature of hotels. I'd rather buy new than steal something from a hotel.

We have remotes, blankets, towels, linens such as sheets, remote controls (which, any hotelier can tell you, is the single most unsanitary thing in the room. No matter how hard you clean it, short of dipping it in bleach and destroying the electronics inside, it will never be perfect), and even decorations stolen from rooms and public areas.

And some of them are just plain ruined. Like people using face cloths to remove their makeup. Wth? It's called soap and water. How about using that. Then the towels won't be ruined when you dry your face.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                              And some of them are just plain ruined. Like people using face cloths to remove their makeup. Wth? It's called soap and water. How about using that. Then the towels won't be ruined when you dry your face.
                              Or bringing along a pack of makeup remover wipes/pads. >.<

As for the "why do people steal shit from rooms" Basically in their minds, the fee they're paying entitles them to it.

The most I've stolen from a hotel room? The complimentary goods. (soap, shower gel etc.)
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X