No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We found out this week that one of our customers tested positive. However! The last time he was in was the 1st, and he got his results/informed us on the 13th. When he came in, he was wearing a cloth mask. Our Branch Manager shook hands with him (because that's what you do). The customer is quarantining in his fish house, he says. His wife and children tested negative, so that's a relief.

Nobody in our office has been showing any symptoms. At our teleconference with the lender at the main branch yesterday, the Senior Loan Officer kinda freaked out a little. "Are you quarantining? Are you calling from home?" Well, no. It's been two weeks since we've seen that customer. We only found out yesterday. At worst, BM is an asymptomatic carrier. He's going to have to be tested later this week anyway ahead of a medical procedure, so there's no point getting tested in the few days before that. If we'd known within days, instead of weeks, that the customer was sick, it would have made sense for BM to isolate for 2 weeks. But there's no point now. If we've been exposed, we just hope for the best.

They said the board of directors was going to discuss it and how to handle similar situations at their board meeting yesterday. I don't know if anything came of it. Also, it would have been a better idea to discuss it months ago and have a plan in place before it was needed.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      It is illegal to refuse cash *as repayment for a debt*.
      Indeed. But our guy is trying to modify that.

*** UPDATE to my earlier post ***

The Senator later went back and edited his post, claiming that he was referring ONLY to businesses that do not accept plastic. Not sure I believe that. He has also said that he was just ripping off a Dave Chappelle comedy routine without crediting Chappelle (Isn't that copyright infringement??).

Now he's basically trying to retroactively make himself correct by getting a law passed which DOES force businesses in MS to accept cash whether they want to or not.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
        We found out this week that one of our customers tested positive.
        If he got the results on the 13th, it is reasonable to assume that he was contagious on the 1st. As it is now the 15th, if your boss is not showing symptoms, he is probably in the clear.

That whole "You can be contagious and asymptomatic for 14 days" is what makes this shit scary.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Here more shops are having No cash checkouts side by side with Cash checkouts and several foodplaces have a no cash sign on the door and by the register, some even accept apple pay/android version as well as direct transfer by phone called Swish.
          And not once have i heard or seen someone make a big deal out of it. The businesses claim that they only do it out of security reasons for the staffs safety but handling cash transfers is very costly and with no cash they can hire younger people for less money since you need to be 18 to handle cash register and it is easier for the state to claim their tax when everything is done digital.

I want to thank all of you who have shared how the pandemic is handled in your countries, it has given me much needed insight on how the strategy here differs on a day to day level.
          I have seen a total of five people with masks on since it all began and i have learned to dislike students even more since they dont seem to understand the concept of social distancing and how long 2m is.

Comment

• 2m? (recalling conversion tables) Oh yeah, a little over 6f.

Someday I am going to buy a meter stick. I have six yard sticks (.9144m). Only one of them has cm on the reverse. They were all free from various local merchants.

I do have some nice tape measures with both inches and centimeters.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth csquared View Post
              That whole "You can be contagious and asymptomatic for 14 days" is what makes this shit scary.
              Hear, hear!

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              I initially read that as "inches and centaurs."
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• ...and we're shut down again. Not completely, but some new restrictions are in place. Bars can't serve drinks anymore, unless you're having a meal. Restaurants are now restricted to 25% normal capacity instead of 50% as previously. Not sure how much a difference that last one makes, since I haven't been seeing a lot of people dining in since they allowed it again.

So this means no karaoke now, although that was already on hold indefinitely after the DJ decided not to restart it after all. Not sure if he got scared, or if he knew this was coming. Again, our numbers are bouncing back and forth. Down to 300 one day, almost up to a thousand the next, then back down to 700. I'm starting to get dizzy.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Figure on things being more shut down than not, at least here in the US. Too many idiots, elected and otherwise, are roaming around. It won't be 'clear' until sometime after we've got a sufficient population vaccinated properly.
                  The earliest timetables don't show any vaccine release happening until the end of the year IF, and only if, everything goes absolutely smoothly during trials. Actual delivery and application will take time. (No comments on the [Fratching!] idiots not wanting vaccines...)

Comment

• My favorite grocery store will now require masks to shop there, as of Monday. I'm relieved. Now, here is a bit of comic relief: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3juaQvrlsZw
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Starting next week if you're in the UK you need to wear a mask if you go into a shop/non-residential building. The only exceptions are kids under 10 and anyone who has asthma/COPD/some other medical condition that makes wearing a mask dangerous.

Personally I think it should have been a necessity as soon as lockdown was eased. Maybe then the Bournemouth incident wouldn't have been as bad, since every time they went near a business they'd have to put on a mask, reminding them that this isn't over, just slightly less dire.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• My take on social distancing to determine 2m/6'... OK if I'm standing next to you in a line and you keel over, am I far away enough that your corpse would land on the ground without touching me? If I would, then that's the right distance.
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• My bank sent out an email to all employees yesterday that, starting today, we're requiring customers to wear masks if they come inside the lobby. And employees are required to wear masks if there's a customer in the lobby. Most days we don't have much foot traffic, so we'll be able to take our masks off if the lobby's empty.

Honestly, I'm glad. If this requirement didn't come from the top, we'd have a wishy-washy policy of "we encourage masks, but they're not required." Even though they said this came from the Cheeselandia counties' mask advisories, I suspect it was made to feel more urgent by the Branch Manager's exposure to a customer who later tested positive.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            2m? (recalling conversion tables) Oh yeah, a little over 6f.

Someday I am going to buy a meter stick. I have six yard sticks (.9144m). Only one of them has cm on the reverse. They were all free from various local merchants.

For me the imperial system is illogical and lack flow but as a knitter I have several measuring tapes with both cm/inches.

The fall over distance is a nice way to look at it (is it ok for me to imagine falling face first on the person in front?)

Comment

• Well, someone flinched.

Now that Wally World has said "Masks on!", everyone else is following suite,
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• I'm impressed. Some of Walmart's customers have just about got used to wearing clothes to enter the store...
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X