Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, there would be no way of you being contacted in case of an emergency. Short of somebody flying a plane overhead and dropping an emergency notification. The object is to see how people handle isolation from all other human contact.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I couldn't do it. I go nuts without human interaction every few days and that's not counting my live in bf. Then 6 mos w/o my bf of 2 years?! No, no , no!

Comment

As long as I had enough books to read and movies to watch and crafts to do, I could probably do it, but I wouldn't want to. Plus $10k/6 months wouldn't be worth it.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

42_42_42 you do realize that is actually 60k for 6 months (10k a month). True..not a whole lot, but better then a lot of people currently make (and yes that is American Dollars).
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Where would I sign up? That sounds heavenly to me. I would miss my fiancee terribly but the payoff would be worth it.
            I am not a social person at all. So I wouldn't panic over not seeing or speaking to people.
            But that's just me.
            A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
            Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Everything you could want besides human contact would be there..all the games, food, etc..but you would never see or interact with anybody..and you would not be able to contact anybody else either
              If I could have some small pet(cats ideal, but a single mouse, rat, hamster, or small snake would suffice), I'd do it.....
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Next on my little social experiment. You find out that somebody has left you (after inheritance tax/etc) 125 million. There are some conditions. 1) You can not let anybody know you have the money besides your legal spouse if you have any (so not even a boyfriend/girlfriend/etc) until it is all spent (though any money made by interest/a business you own/etc off of it is fair game to tell people about. 2) You must spend at least 75% on yourself (max of 25% to charities/etc). and finally 3) All the original 125 million must be spent within 5 years (but you can make as much interest/profit from businesses/etc) as you want and keep that.

What would you spend the money on?

Comment

Ooh.

I'm good at keeping things under my hat, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.
                  Then there's setting up my own personal trust and one for the boyfriend so we can both retire and live off the interest. And one for my mom.

I would buy property. Lots of property. Property for me, property for some family, maybe some property for close friends.

College educations/training for any of my family that wants one. And some for close friends, too.

We can't talk about the money, but does that stop us from buying extravagant gifts and just showering people with those?

Maybe I'd start my own museum, too.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

No, buy all you want and gift it anonymously..remember that all but 31 million must be spent on YOU however. Still 31 mil is a lot of money.

Comment

Probably start my own business with computer graphic design and photography. Go to school for it first. Buy myself a nice little house in different states and a couple of cars. Bah, who knows what else? Thats where I would start off with.

Comment

Does putting it in IRAs and investing it or putting it in other accounts count as spending? Just curious. If not I have no clue how to spend that amount in 5 years, I'm so used to budgeting I wouldn't have any idea!
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          Still 31 mil is a lot of money.
                          Not if the property I'm buying includes, say, my own little tropical island, an airport and a small fleet to get me there and back.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My lottery wish list has always been rather mundane - a nice house (but not a mansion), good cars, and lots of travel. then there's my "gift list" for family. The rest of any obscenely large amount of money I've always wanted to use to set up charities. I actually have several in mind).

So to spend most of this on me, in order to keep it would be hard. Maybe it's sorta cheating, but I think after setting aside money for the above house & travel, I'd buy property, then after the conditions expire and everything is mine to do what I want with, I'd sell the property, and start my charities.

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I could do the island thing as long as I could be sure my sisters & the pets were taken care of while I was gone.

For the money, I see a problem: How do you keep this a secret from the IRS? And how can you keep the spending secret when the stuff you buy is going to become obvious?

But assuming those 2 problems are resolved, I would pay off my house, buy an old Victorian house in a neighborhood more in keeping with my interests, and have it remodeled and furnished to my tastes (sticking to the vintage theme though). I would probably spend the bulk of the money on investments that would guarantee me an income so I could quit my job. Anything not spend on me would be spent on certain charities and on my sisters.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X