Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try running msconfig and check under services if Windows event logging is running and disable that.
    That's a framerate killer in most games. And seems to be enabled on some machines.
    Since windows treats every long keypress as an event it tends to slow down games to the point of being unplayable.

Comment

I second the recommendation about checking your AV. Most store bought PCs I've looked at for friends usually come with a trial version of Norton/Mcaffee or similar pre-installed. If there's one running fully in the background it can really suck up resources once you start working on stuff.

Comment

Hardware-wise, you may want to poke around in your BIOS and see how much memory you can re-assign to your video. The memory is pooled (shared) with main system RAM, so if the current setting is 256M, then you have 3.75GB left over for the system. If you're able to bump this up to 512M, then you're left with 3.5GB for the OS. Still a pretty good size to run things
        This is an area I run into some problems - when I check my bios, I rarely have any of the options that I'm supposed to see. I tried to do what you said, but the option for the video is grayed out. Sometimes the option I want isn't even listed at all.

Comment

smokingplane
          Try running msconfig and check under services if Windows event logging is running and disable that. That's a framerate killer in most games.
          Huh. I learn something new everyday. Thanks, sp, I'll keep that in mind next gaming complaint I see...
          DrFaroohk
          I tried to do what you said, but the option for the video is grayed out.
          Double-Huh. Are you sure this is on-board video? A dedicated video card will have it's own memory, and all RAM is then made available to the system when the BIOS "sees" a PCI, PCI-x, PCI-e, or AGP card installed and it disables the on-board.

barcode
          Sorry for the delay, I was scraping viruses off HDs...

Comment

Working...
          X