This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally...some good news

That is, I might be going to look at kittehs again over the weekend. Baxter has been driving me nuts because he's bored. Constant meowing, getting into stuff, pawing at various doors, etc. has me thinking that he needs someone to play with when I'm asleep or at work. Problem is, that finding another cat who enjoys other cats is difficult. Earlier in the week, I found a not-quite-1-year-old black kitty who loves other cats. She ended up at shelter because her owner was allergic. Said kitty has a lot of energy, which is important. Baxter is nearly 11 years old, but he's still very much a kitten at heart. While they'll be separated if the adoption goes through, it will be nice to have another cat at home. It's just too quiet with one.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Baxter will be VERY happy to have a new companion! Especially since he is still very active.

I've been lucky -- I've almost never had a problem -- and never had a serious problem -- with bringing in kitties who liked other kitties. Only minor problem I had was at a time when I had six cats ... and one of 'em had had enough of being just another furry butt in a one-person household. No violence or anything, and eventually I found him a new home. I was sorry to see him go; he had beautiful silvery-grey fur and was generally a placid cat. He just wanted a household with less competition, I guess.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Well, I have a mini-panther to play with. Her name is Pita, and she's 11 months old. She arrived yesterday, and has spent most of the past 2 days hiding. She's still very nervous and scared, and not really sure where she is. Baxter on the other hand, knows that there's another kitty in the house...but isn't sure why he's no longer allowed into my office. Unfortunately, I have to keep them separated to make sure she didn't bring home any illnesses from the shelter.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ooh, what a cutie! I love black kittehs.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Aww, fuzzy kitty. <3 Hope she doesn't have anything, and your cats get to make friends soon.
          Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 07-24-2017, 02:57 AM. Reason: adding words.
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

What a beautiful kitty! I love black cats.

I hope this little one is healthy and will make a good addition to your family.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

She's been cooped up in the "kitteh isolation unit" about a week. Most of the time, she tends to hide. It's a bit odd to look under my desk (there's a 2-inch high slit between the drawers and floor--she loves to hide there) and only see a pair of bright yellow eyes Getting her out is a pain, since the drawer has to come out so I can reach her. Otherwise, she's slowly coming out of her shell a bit, carefully exploring her environment. She's still not too sure about what's outside the window.

Baxter, on the other hand, wants to get into her room very much. Luckily, I've been able to grab him before he can get close to her. I'm not about to have him catch anything she might have brought from the shelter. Earlier in the week, I thought I'd let him at least see her. Rather than set him down, I held him in my arms, and let him look around. His reaction was mostly "meh" when he saw her on the floor. So far, so good.
              Attached Files

Comment

actually, there are a couple of reasons for the separation.
                1) she needs a couple of weeks to get used to the idea that this is home now until she is allowed outside, and it's not fair to keep both cats cooped up (if your other cat is an outdoor cat) because one needs to get their bearings
                2) you need to be careful introducing a new cat, since it can cause fighting. you need to slowly introduce them- and supervise them while they aren't separated- to ensure they don't fight.

it does sound good, though, and frankly, I'll admit to being slightly suspicious of that advice observing the two kittens my parents got last year, since I've seen them playing with our neighbour's cat without a problem. (well, aside from our neighbour's cat keeps trying to sneak into our house...)

Comment

Well, it's been 3 weeks since I brought her home, and the little kitty is starting to come out of her shell. Even though they seemed to get along, after the 2-week "isolation" period was over, I wanted to bring them together gradually. Instead of letting Baxter into her room more-or-less unsupervised, I put a pair of gates across my office door. That way, they could see each other, but couldn't get at each other. At the time, Baxter couldn't quite clear the gate. That changed back on Monday. I got up, walked past the door, and he was all "O HAI!" He'd cleared the gate...but couldn't get out

As for her name, I'm not calling her Pita. You know, an acronym for "Pain in the ass." Instead, I've been calling her Abby--short for Abracadabra. Why? Because she tends to 'disappear' when she closes her eyes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

AwwwwFUZZY Give her (and Baxter) plenty of scritches from me.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Aww fuzzy kitten. <3
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Congratulations on the new kitty. She looks like a precious little mischief-maker.

Speaking of mischief makers, it's too quiet ATM. I think I need to check on the whereabouts of a few kittens who were whooping it up a short time ago.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

"It's quiet... too quiet..."
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                          X