This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't hit each other!

As some of you might know, I am terrified of pregnant women. I hide it well, but they are really, REALLY scary to me. So unpredictable.

I also have a personal rule that if someone mentions needing to use the restroom, I tell them where it is and that I will call back in 5 minutes. (I don't typically see my clients, they are in phone kiosks in the lobby).

So, I called my client and a co-worker answered the phone and said she was in the restroom. That's fine, I have keyboarding to do while I wait. When I called back, my client apologized and said she was pregnant and needed to pee all the time. She was nice, all was going well when she asked to go to the restroom again. "Of course, I have some keyboarding to do while you are gone, take your time!"

I called back and the phone rang busy. The phone cord connects at the base of the kiosk wall, they are constantly being kicked out because they are in a very stupid place. So, I called the front desk to ask if someone could plug the phone back in. Couldn't get an answer, so I hobbled out to see what was going on.

What did I see when I got out there? An unknown to me, rather large man bleeding and semi-conscious on the floor with my client standing over him with a bloody phone. (Of course, by this time the security guards were involved, management was there and half of my co-workers were lurking.)

Seems as though when my client got up to go to the restroom, the client sitting next to her reached out and grabbed her very large belly. She took offense to this and told him to not touch her. He said he was rubbing her belly for good luck and grabbed her again. She slapped him. He responded by slapping her back, so she grabbed the phone base and hit him several times in the face with it. As there were plenty of witnesses, the cops had no problem sorting things out and the rather large man left with the EMT's and a cop.

After all the excitement was over, my client apologized to me for breaking the phone and causing so much fuss. From calm to murder to calm in the snap of a finger. This has just reinforced my fear of pregnant women!

When I was pregnant, someone reached out to touch my belly and I told him he'd pull back a stump. No one has a right to touch someone else. I suspect she was calmed down by the police before she spoke to you again
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Holy crap.

Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
      No one has a right to touch someone else.
      QFT.

In this situation or any other, nobody has the right to touch you without your consent. If they ask and you say "No," They need to respect that. If they don't ask and do it anyway and/or persist, they might get a slight (O_O) overreaction such as the one above.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I totally agree that nobody should be touched without consent. Nobody in the office blamed my client for clocking the jerk with a phone and I don't either. We don't care about damage to equipment when someone is preventing themselves from being assaulted.

I just told this story because my client was so very calm before and after. Scary calm. She tried to beat someone to death with a phone and then held onto the phone because it was now a bio hazard and needed to be bagged and disposed of.

I was there while the police were busy, my client was calm, didn't argue, told her side of the story (with witnesses loudly backing her up) and held on to the phone until a co-worker brought a bagged trash can for the phone.

Nice, calm, considerate and batshit crazy when touched. Pregnant women scare the heck out of me, this experience isn't changing my mind!

Comment

DO NOT piss off the pregnant woman. What the pregnant woman wants, the pregnant woman gets.

Words to live by.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Maternal instinct is not to be trifled with, and random grabs from strangers can very easily be considered a threat to the baby, even while still incubating.

I'd say it's to her credit she was rational in all other parts of the incident.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

As one who lacks the equipment to ever experience pregnancy, I don't find the shift that odd. If someone just *insists* on handling me, someone's going to wake up with one hell of a headache. It may take me a moment for adrenaline and breathing to get back to normal, but once the problem is handled, it's time to check for damage, then get back to business.

Don't know who the lady is, but if that's how she handles a crisis, I have high hopes for the offspring.

Comment

Anyone can have that shift. Anyone. I am a gentle bear, but when someone grabbed my arm (my cane arm no less) to try and get my attention, just the sheer look of anger I gave them was enough to make them let go...
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

That was something I always hated when I was pregnant - the random people who assumed that my burgeoning belly was somehow public property. I don't like being touched by people I don't know well anyway, and having to fend off unwanted unfamiliar hands used to wind me up intensely.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I really don't get this need to touch women's pregnant bellies at all (and I actually have the equipment for it too). Like seriously - what the hell?!

(Had a couple of pregnant friends recently and I didn't even ask about feeling it when bubs was kicking)

Comment

You rub Buddha's belly for luck, not pregnant women's. Go buy yourself a statue. Sheez.

Comment

If a preggers lady asks/offers to let you touch her belly, that's fine; such an offer will almost invariably made in a private/home setting, to someone she trusts. If not, hell no.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have never, ever, ever, EVER wanted to touch a pregnant woman's belly. I mean, WHYYYYY??

I dunno whether it was maternal instinct, or simply a woman who was fed up with someone thinking any woman's body is public property to be touched at will. But kudos to her. She warned him and he ignored the warning. He had it coming.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This is an excerpt from a long post on Reddit. A very pregnant woman and her mother-in-law are at a restaurant. The MIL keeps touching the woman’s stomach. The woman tells her to knock it off, in increasingly angry language.

MIL (with a whiney voice like a toddler):"I know I am grabby grabby, but I just cannot help it, it is just the way I am and you cannot change me or forbid me to be myself"
                            And she is not even fully finished with her sentence when she full on grabs the babybump with both hands. DIL had enough of her shit.
                            DIL :"Take your damn paws of me, what the hell is wrong with you ?"
                            MIL(wanna guess with what voice she said that ? Worse then the first time even):"Teeheeeheee, I told you i am grabby grabby, you cannot change me, i am who I am"
                            DIL takes her fork and faster then a kobra biting stabs her with it in both hands, like hard. HOLY SHIT, where is my popcorn this is EPIC. MIL totally shocked draws back her hands and starts whining even worse.
                            MIL:"Why did you do that, you hurt me, what is wrong with you" Then she sucked her hands as if they where bleeding, which they where not, at least not as far as I could see them.
                            DIL(perfectly imitating mils voice):"I know i am stabby stabby, but I just cannot help it, it is just the way I am and you cannot change change me or forbid me to be myself

Comment

Okay, wait, she slapped him for grabbing her the second time and he slapped her back?

As a bystander, I'd've hit him myself!!

Comment

Working...
                              X