This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I won't call your mother for you

The entitlement in some of the clients I deal with is amazing, but this guy made the top of my list.

Drug rehab is a big business here, ship your problem to Arizona for rehab. He/she will get 6 weeks of substance abuse treatment and then be moved to a sober living home where he/she will be expected to find a job and pay rent. (In a state with medical marijuana cards available by just take paying a doctor to say that you are in need of medical marijuana and a state fee of 350 per year. If you are on public assistance the card is half price.)

As soon as someone is being moved to sober living with all of his fellow "recovered" addicts, they are brought in to get food stamps.

We have to verify how the rehab was paid for, which usually means calling the parents. If the parents are paying for the phone, we have to verify that as well. So, I talked to a mom who said she was paying for the phone and would continue to do so, she also paid for the "rehab", but the rehab place had told her that her son would be getting a job and paying his own rent.

When I got back to the 40 something old child, I asked how his job search was going. He wasn't really looking just now because he thought he needed more time. I asked how he was going to pay his rent if he wasn't working and he said he didn't know that he was expected to pay his own rent, so could I call his mother and tell her that she had to do pay it.

Nope, I know that you have a phone and you have her number. Not going to happen, I will not do it.

Client slammed the phone down, ran out and kicked the trash can over. That sure taught me!!!
    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 04-13-2019, 05:32 AM.

I think that was part entitlement, part attempt to make Mother think she had to chip in on your say-so, because he knows damn well if he asks she'll say "no!"
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Don't feed the bears...
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

And there you see a perfect illustration of how junior ended up being 40-something years old and in this kind of trouble to begin with.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And the above comments are why this is so frustrating and angering to me. The kids start guilt tripping the parents about all of their failings being due to the bad way they were raised. The parents fall for it and start enabling the kids. Once that habit is established, the parents can't seem to find a way out and do such things as cashing out their retirement accounts to pay to get their kids out of yet another fix.

Many "rehab" places out here prey on that. Give us an amazing amount of money and in 6 weeks, your kid/spouse/self will be substance abuse free and self sufficient! We will get them off the drugs/booze and help them get jobs so they can start paying their own bills.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't. Lets house a whole bunch of recovering addicts together in an area where drugs are easy to get and trust that 6 weeks of being clean is enough to treat the addiction and expect them to get jobs without having transportation. What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

Comment

If we lived in the same part of the state, I would think you were talking about one of our regular library customers. "Kevin" got upset yesterday because I wouldn't allow him to make a call using the phone at the customer service desk. (I don't know his personal situation, but I'm sure he is/was a drug addict)

Reason my library has a policy like that now is because of people like "Kevin" tying up the phone line on calls (think he was trying to get a ride or something).

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              The kids start guilt tripping the parents about all of their failings being due to the bad way they were raised. The parents fall for it and start enabling the kids. Once that habit is established, the parents can't seem to find a way out and do such things as cashing out their retirement accounts to pay to get their kids out of yet another fix.
              It seems that rehab services for enablers is needed just as bad as for addicts.
              Last edited by taxguykarl; 04-23-2019, 08:32 PM.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

One of the biggest favors my parents did for me was tell me to get a job or move out of their house. I got a job. I wasn't making a lot, but I was never unemployed again.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                  If we lived in the same part of the state, I would think you were talking about one of our regular library customers. "Kevin" got upset yesterday because I wouldn't allow him to make a call using the phone at the customer service desk. (I don't know his personal situation, but I'm sure he is/was a drug addict)

Reason my library has a policy like that now is because of people like "Kevin" tying up the phone line on calls (think he was trying to get a ride or something).

We had to eliminate our "courtesy" phone line at the library several years ago. Management staff thought it would be a "great" idea to install one at our security desk. It had to be removed because we would have a large line up at our desk of people wanting to use it, there was some people who would come back and use it every 15 minutes all day long. Some were clearly using it to set up deals. When we limited it to "emergency" calls only eople claim "It's an emergency I have to use it" only for them to just call and go "Hey check your e-mail I sent you something"

Comment

Working...
                  X