This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, back in my field

So.....if anyone recalls in 2015 I got laid off from my telecom job, that I had for 12 years. I ended up working in a call center for a bank, which I HATED so much. I went from a job where I was valued, and treated like an adult, to a place that micromanaged to death, didn't allow anything normal, treated like a child, and forced to be in a brightly lit rah rah type atmosphere, which as an introvert I really freaking hate. Plus I made shit money. And the calls, I never listed any of them here because it was so much of the same damn thing, it was repetitive. Anyway I have done that for 5 solid years. Now because of Covid I have been on leave for 4 and 1/2 months, which has been a deliciously wonderful break.

On to the latest -- I got recruited by the phone company that took over the phone company for the states in the Northwest, starts with a Z. For the same kind of job I had before! In short, I got it! I'm making the most money I've ever made in my life, I'm back to doing a job I love, and I get to work from home! As an introvert this is my dream job. I finally feel like I can live up to my username again haha.

This all just went down, I still have to quit the old one. Sometime....soon. I'm on leave so whatever they haven't paid me to work in months. They've been promising to have us work from home but they are dragging their feet on this, they just can't stand the fact that they have to trust us children. So because of that, they are losing a 5 year veteran of a tough job. You can't just walk into this, you have to have 2 months of training, and then it takes a couple years to really get it down. So if they want to lose a productive person, instead of treating them better, that's their prerogitive.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Congratulations! Good to hear!

As for the old job -- Once you have the new one and are firmly in place -- maybe they have a probationary period, see how much of that you can complete while the 5-year job is still on hiatus -- well...If your state and/or contract (if any) allow for it, I don't see why they deserve any real consideration. If something mandates a 2-week notice or something like that, then yeah, honor that. If not, treat them as they treated you: _______ 'em. (Fill in the blank with unprintable word of your choice)
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hehehe I like the way you think. Technically notice means nothing at this point since I'm not actually working. Right now, with old job, I'm waiting to hear when they want me to come in for the "training" to start working from home. This has been dragging on for 2 months already, so I'm just gonna wait for that, if and when it comes. At the point that it does come, I will then state I have just accepted a new job offer, and when can I come get my shit. It's not up to me to prove otherwise either.

Comment

Hooray! ~flings confetti~

Comment

Congrats! I hope the new job lives up to its promise!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            Hehehe I like the way you think. Technically notice means nothing at this point since I'm not actually working.
            ^_^ Thanks!

For the notice thing -- Aye, I just figure that a place like that would likely enforce any laws/contracts that might be in place anyway, just to be assholes. Better to toe that line than to get caught up in any BS. Let the break with them be clean and permanent. And, ideally, on fire.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A clean break, aye, but not until the new place has been proven as a non-Dilbert environment. (Some appear clear until you're all signed up) No sense in burning bridges until you're sure you no longer wish to make use of it.

Comment

Congratulations on the job, hope that you get as few stories as possible to share with us.

Comment

Thanks all. The way I see it, even if it isn't perfect, it's still better than the sweatshop hell that my old job was. Plus I'm getting paid well, and I'm at home. I can burn candles and incense all damn day while working if I want to. I can play music if I want to. No dress code. I can go to the bathroom without someone "talking" to me about adherence. I don't have to worry about being "coached" any more, or told how to speak to people on the phone like I'm a child. That alone makes it worth it. Plus I'll be in touch with some of my old telecom co workers! I have no reservations about this job at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X