This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You prove the stereotype.

About a decade ago, I was a board member (and founding chapter member) for an young civil-rights organization. There's a reason I'm no longer active with the org, and I was reminded of it over the last couple days.

An article was posted to the org's blog about alcohol. Being in the business of booze, I had a well thought out comment (I'm not including it here, due to the potential for Fratching) regarding the difficulty that various alcohol-related laws caused for me as a professional liquor slinger. One of the younger members of the org replied as such:

(KiaKat), I have a question for you.

When I was a teenager, I would go on “beer-runs” — go into liquor store, grab beer (or liquor), and then run — and would afterword send the liquor store a check for the goods. If more people followed this practice, (KiaKat), would it make your job easier?
    I, being me, had this to reply:

(Idiot), what you are doing is called theft. Whether or not you send a cheque later, you are taking goods without paying for them. It is illegal, makes prices higher (because stores have to make up for that loss somehow) and puts inordinate amounts of stress on the clerks, managers, owners, and police in the community you are stealing from. It also puts you in danger, because all it takes is one over-zealous clerk chasing you down the street and tackling you in the name of anti-theft practices for you to be seriously injured.

No. It does not make my job easier. It just makes you look like an ass.
    As of yet, no reply. I almost hope he has a reply, to dig his hole deeper.

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to steal from a store, *THEN* send them a piece of paper with your bank account number (and possibly name and address) on it?

Comment

I have no idea. And the whole thing just makes me go

Comment

My thinking? He's trolling you. I prefer to believe that.

Otherwise, I have to accept that humanity has no future....
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Sadly, I know a few people who would think it's fine, since you're eventually sending payment after all. Um...would it be okay if I stole...I mean "borrowed" your car, so long as I return it with a full tank of gas? I think not. *shakes head at humanity*
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

There really needs to be a facepalm emoticon for this site
            Seeeeeriously,
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
              I can just see Raps reviewing the bandwidth usage statement:

Message bodies: 23%
              Signatures: 14%
              Post status: 6%
              Facepalm smiley: 35%
              Other smilies: 5%
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                As of yet, no reply. I almost hope he has a reply, to dig his hole deeper.
                That guy is overlooking the fact that what he did was illegal due to his age, whether he paid for it or not.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  That guy is overlooking the fact that what he did was illegal due to his age, whether he paid for it or not.
                  I think that was the reason for doing it. He was under age and didn't want to get carded.

Comment

There is, kind of:
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

And when he sends a check the cops aren't going to stop by and have a chat?

Seriously, on what planet is this even remotely a good idea?

Comment

It's a simple misunderstanding - he doesn't understand that "beer run" is not a contraction of "grab the beer and run away"...

Due to the ridiculousness of sending a store your personal details after a theft, I really can't believe he actually cut any cheques for the value of the goods; it's the kind of boneheaded act that doesn't have a chance to be repeated.
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth smfrazier View Post
                          I think that was the reason for doing it. He was under age and didn't want to get carded.
                          good point.

and perhaps he was being a smart ass about it too with the "make your job easier" line.

Kinda like... If you tell person X "I don't like this" and they reply "Well what if I do THIS (something over-the-top) will that make you happy then?"

It's just immaturity

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            good point.

and perhaps he was being a smart ass about it too with the "make your job easier" line.

Kinda like... If you tell person X "I don't like this" and they reply "Well what if I do THIS (something over-the-top) will that make you happy then?"

It's just immaturity
                            Which is why I say he proves the stereotype. The org is one that advocates for the expansion of rights for young people. And yet a large portion of their membership is filled with morons like this, who just want to bitch and be stupid, rather than actually FIGHT. When I compare it to other civil rights movements, I'm disgusted.

As I said - there's a reason I'm not involved with them anymore. I felt like I was fighting a losing battle.

Comment

Seeeeeriously,
                              I'm on another site and they have a facepalm emoticon of Picard.
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X