Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People, everywhere I look I see people.

And I don't like people.

Just a random collection of recent events.

Running in the rain

It was pouring rain here for a couple of days. Which, really, we needed. During one such rainstorm on my way home, I observed a number of pedestrians running through the deluge. Pretty normal.

Except for the one who made an abrupt 90 degree turn and sprinted across a 3 lane highway where there is no crosswalk. And she didn't look at traffic coming either direction before just darting out. Maybe she had a freak accident with toxic waste as a child that left her with sonar senses or something, because her run was perfectly timed to not get splattered by the traffic going both directions. Or maybe she's just impressively lucky.

That's not cute

Out at a local cafe for breakfast, though eating in where I normally eat out. Just as my food is served, a group walks in. An older woman, a younger woman, and a little girl maybe 4 or 5 years old. As they're standing in line ordering, the little girl throws her head back and just shrieks at the top of her lungs. The two adults with her pat her on the head, tell her she's such a cute girl, and all three of them giggle. Wash, rinse, repeat about a dozen times.

Not cute. Not even close. In my opinion you are complete and utter <censored> raising a girl who also be a complete and utter <censored>.

I do what I want.

I watched a lunatic driving a tractor trailer, hauling one of those giant preformed concrete structures, do the following:

Swerve into oncoming traffic for no apparent reason. At 55 MPH. Like, full on into the oncoming lane with the tractor & trailer. There was nothing in our lane or on the side of the road. Fortunately, there were two oncoming lanes and traffic had enough room to scatter so no one was killed.

I got close enough to get a clear shot of the trailer license plate and 'How am I driving?' number with my dashcam. While doing this, I watched him fail to yield at a yield sign and, shortly thereafter, he ran a red light by just plowing into the intersection to make a left hand turn despite oncoming traffic with right of way.

All of this took place in the space of about 3 minutes.

I called the company's 800 number, gave a rundown of the events, and was given an email address to which to send the video. Hopefully this dude has been fired. Because someone is going to die if he keeps that up and likely it won't the dumbass in the giant truck.

I don't even want to talk to you at work. And we're not work.

A rare co-irker in the wild story.

Out grocery shopping with my wife, I hurry into an aisle where we don't actually need anything. When my wife asked why, I pointed out Obnoxiously Stupid Coworker (OSC). OSC has been doing PO forms and expense reports for 3 years. She still cannot handle completing a single one without asking at least several questions about basic things like: What is my dept. number? As if it wasn't the same 2 digit number she's had to use for 3 YEARS. And is written down on at least 20 documents per week. Did I mention this has been going on for 3 years?

OSC also has a habit of stalking me down during my lunch - taken in the breakroom or cafe, not at my desk, to ask a series of painfully ignorant questions. I've explained I'm hourly and don't want to work off the clock, but like so many things, OSC just can't grasp the idea that I don't want to spend my half hour of unpaid time doing anything but help do her work for her. I've taken to just picking up my food and walking away, which does the trick in the moment, but doesn't stop her from trying again.

She also sent an email to my boss asking that we create a set of examples of what is acceptable backup, keep tax documents and frequently used forms where they can be found without asking, etc. Basically, everything that we already host on the network in plainly labeled files and we have already given shortcuts, links, etc. to all of those documents. He confirmed to me that I am not responsible for her incompetence. Which is at least nice to hear.

Not even 5 minutes later, we blunder directly into her coming around the corner of another aisle.

OSC: Oh, Gerrinson, I'm so glad I ran into you here! I have a couple quick questions about <work documents>.

Wife: whispereing Just be nice!

Me: OSC, sure, just come by my office tomorrow or give me call and we'll get those straightened out.

OSC: No, no, it's fine, I'll just ask now and we'll get it out of the way.

Me: OSC, I'm an hourly employee, it's illegal for me to work off the clock. Here just as much as during my lunch. Like I've asked before, please just see me during work hours at my desk.

OSC: No, really, I just want some answers, okay?

Me: Tomorrow, when I'm at work.

OSC: It won't be any trouble! Just real quick, I've got these expenses to reimburse, but <contractor> didn't save receipts, so can we pay him anyway? I know you say we have to get receipts, but in this case I already told him it would be fine if he provided his bank statement showing charges on his debit card. And then...

Me: OSC. STOP. I already said no. And I'm not getting into it here. You can ask me tomorrow, when I am being paid to work on this.

OSC: I don't understand why you won't just help me with these things. I'm going to speak to <my boss> about it.

Me: Let me save you the trouble. I've got him on speed dial. If he will clock me in to work overtime here in the grocery store, then you can ask away.

I then proceed to pull out my phone and dial my boss. Sadly, it goes to voicemail. I leave a quick message about what's going on and have OSC verify it so she's on record too.

Me: Well, he didn't answer, so I can't work. Bye!

And then drag the cart and my wife away.

Wife: I'm so sorry, I thought you were exaggerating. She's really dense.

Me: Yeah, I know. And she lied to that poor guy. I cannot reimburse anything without itemized receipts. She's tried the same thing like four other times now and keeps getting angry when we won't just pay people without documentation. I'm not paid enough to deal with her crap on my downtime.

OSC then tried 3 separate times to ask her work questions as we made our way through the rest of the store and check outs.

I also know, for a fact, even simple answers are not simple with her because she just doesn't get anything straight. She has a reputation for being a solid idiot with anyone except her boss. Likely because she blows smoke up her boss's ass.

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
    As they're standing in line ordering, the little girl throws her head back and just shrieks at the top of her lungs.
    Had that happen once when I was on register. A lady with a little boy in the seat of her shopping cart went through my line, and the kid started screaming just for the hell of it. Worse yet, his stupid mother was encouraging him. She'd smile and tell him, "That was great. Can you yell louder?" Which of course, he would.

I wasn't sorry to see them go.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      Had that happen once when I was on register. A lady with a little boy in the seat of her shopping cart went through my line, and the kid started screaming just for the hell of it. Worse yet, his stupid mother was encouraging him. She'd smile and tell him, "That was great. Can you yell louder?" Which of course, he would.

I wasn't sorry to see them go.
      That.......is enough to make me want to murder people. I can't STAND kids shrieking like that, it literally hurts my ears and wrecks my nerves. When my kids did it I quickly showed them that was not acceptable at any time. NO way in hell.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My neighbour's kid has just discovered that shrieking in the stairwell makes an awesome noise. Luckily my neighbour is quick to stop the kid, but they keep doing it every time as if it's some new discovery...
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

If the company that employs Traffic Trailer Monster has a Facebook page l'd post the video there to warn other people how he drives-and it can be seen without 'disappearing' into the email system...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
            An older woman, a younger woman, and a little girl maybe 4 or 5 years old. As they're standing in line ordering, the little girl throws her head back and just shrieks at the top of her lungs. The two adults with her pat her on the head, tell her she's such a cute girl, and all three of them giggle. Wash, rinse, repeat about a dozen times.
            Reminds me of the two women and baby/toddler (I'm not good with ages, not tiny baby but not fully mobile yet) at the fabric store one day... The kid was holding a bolt of fabric on her lap and the women pulled it away and the kid started SHRIEKING and the women were like "oh haha she has fabric withdrawal haha!" and they'd give it back and pull it away to get the kid to scream again. The kid was old enough that the shrieks were very painful. I was so mad I was shaking... It's so good not to be in retail, honestly.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've screamed back at shrieking children . . .

'Course, I was another customer, not the cashier,. But the kids do shut up. And mostly their mothers take one look at me and decide not to take it any further.

Wonder why that is.

Comment

I have a really good pair of noise cancelling headphones. I used to wear them all the time in the supermarket as a way to avoid all the advertising and bad music they were imposing on their customers.

One day approaching the checkout I was at my closest point to a child in a stroller when the little animal decided to let loose with one of those high pitched screams. I could hear the noise cancelling distorting as it attempted to counter this noise. It was the one and only time I ever heard it defeated as the scream assaulted my ears.

I often wonder how the parents live with that noise, especially when I look at them while it is going on (and on and on) and they show no reaction.

Comment

Was your co-worker the goalie on her school's archery team?
                  My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    That.......is enough to make me want to murder people. I can't STAND kids shrieking like that, it literally hurts my ears and wrecks my nerves. When my kids did it I quickly showed them that was not acceptable at any time. NO way in hell.
                    Oh, same here! My son never went through the "shrieking the lungs out" phase, because I kiboshed that as soon as he tried it.

I do not understand why these idiot parents are deliberately raising their children to be insufferable brats. Why would you want your child to be hated everywhere she goes?!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                    X