Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure of the years, but that sounds about right. Quarters too. They also sound different than newer coins. Funny, Coinstars reject them! They weigh less.
    USN Retired

Comment

I don't think *nickels* were ever made of silver. Quarters and dimes, yes.
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth blas87
        My parents told me that if I found a nickel from.......is it 1965 or older, to keep it, because it's real silver?
        Alot of older coins have higher value that what's on them. Not because of the metal that's in em. Old dimes have silver in them, old pennies have alot more copper in em. Unless you plan to melt the metal and purify the silver, it's unlikely that you'll get the "silver" value (which is most likely less than the collector value of the coin).

I keep all my old coins (before 65), why. It's just because it soo rare to find one in circulation. I do the same with old bills.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth blas87
          My parents told me that if I found a nickel from.......is it 1965 or older, to keep it, because it's real silver?
          Nickels are still made of the same old stuff. Dimes, quarters half-dollars and dollar coins dated 1964 and before are solid silver. 1965 and later are copper-clad.
          In 1982, pennies started being made of zinc with a copper plating (anybody know what batteries are made of?) so 1981 and before are solid copper.

Yeah, I'm a (very) light core coin collector.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Are nickels actually made of nickel?
            WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

The Official Word on US Coins (According to Hubby)

Pennies

pre 1943: copper/tin composite (aka bronze)

1943: zinc-plated steel (a very, very few bronze pennies were minted in 1943, they are extremely rare collectors' pieces and there are probably far more forged 1943 bronzes than there are real ones)

1944-1981: copper/zinc composite

1982: some copper-plated zinc, some copper/zinc composite

1983 to present: copper-plated zinc

Nickels

pre-1942: copper/nickel composite

1942-1945: copper/silver/manganese composite

1946-present: copper/nickel composite

Dimes

pre 1964: 90% silver/10% binding metals

1964-present: nickel-clad copper (like a copper sandwich on nickel bread)

1992-present: are also available in 90% silver in special collectors' proof sets

Quarters

same history as dimes (see above)

Half Dollars

same history as dimes (see above)

Hubby always asserts that we would accept the dollar coin if the US government stopped printing dollar bills when they introduced the coin. That's how Canada did it and it worked out.
              Last edited by Dips; 07-10-2006, 02:39 PM.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth stickycoins
                Crackhead comes in, says she needs a favor, she doesn't have enough for her 'glass rose'(1.25) . Told her no deal. So she asks a KID(maybe 12) in line behind her for the money. I lit into her and told her that she could NOT ask any other customers for money. They do this all the time. Funny, they have money for crack. I will NOT let them 'slide' for any amount, not even a penny. I hate that I have to sell the things.
                I hate to sound like an idjit, but what's a 'glass rose'? A crackhead holding a flower made of glass makes for an interesting mental picture, but something tells me that's not accurate.
                Random Doctor Who quote:
                "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

For all you lucky folks that have never seen them, they are glass tubes about 4 inches long, about 1/4 diam. with a cheap plastic rose inside. Crackheads buy them, Chore-Boy(metal scrubbie), and at least 2 lighters. What they do is take the rose out, put some Chore in(used as a filter so they don't inhale their 'precious' rock) and light up. It must be hard to burn the stuff because they buy lighters by the gross!

I really hate crack. It's not the weed smokers breaking into our houses, it's crackheads. They will do anything for that high. Including die. A woman on my street did, just last summer. Nobody had a clue that she smoked it. Granma aged, real nice lady. She made the mistake of drinking and smoking crack. When they do that, it combines to form cocaethylene, a very deadly chemical. Stops your heart. Why do I know this? When I first started working at the store I was amazed at how many people, young/old, rich/poor, black/white bought the roses. It was the first time I had ever been anywhere near anyone who used it. I got curious and researched it online. Boy did I learn a lot. I'm no prude, but there is NO WAY you could get me to try that crap. At least weed doesn't kill you!
                  USN Retired

Comment

Quoth blas87
                    About half of 1942 nickels and all 1943-45 nickels were made from 35% silver, due to the war. The silver nickels have the mintmark over the Monticello dome on the reverse.

I know a numismatist.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We can't get rid of pennies, they will raise the gas prices in 5 cent increments then!

Comment

They keep the .9ยข on the price of gas anyway, and we've never had a coin that small...
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Kiwi's ahead of her time. We get rid of 5c pieces on July 31. It's currently the smallest denomination, but we still get $4.99 type prices. They work out fine for electronic/cheque transactions, or when you buy a lot of items (like weekly groceries) and then they only round up or down the final total.

Reminds me of an old puzzle. Try it on your friends, you'll be amazed how often people can't get it (better verbal than written)...

Johnny's mum has three coins - a penny, a nickel, and a dime. She also has three children - Penny, Nick, and....?

Comment

Quoth One-Fang
                            Johnny's mum has three coins - a penny, a nickel, and a dime. She also has three children - Penny, Nick, and....?
                            Di? Diane? Dinah?

Oh, wait....

Johnny !
                            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                            - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                            X