This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth NoMoreRetail View Post
    Sadly it is against the credit card companies rules. If you go to the Mastercard page, their is a place where you can file complaints, and one of the reasons is "store asked for ID" If a person files a complaint using that reason, the store can be fined and even loose the ability to be able to accept those kinds of cards. Apparently if a card is stolen the credit card company will just reimburse the customer and they get the money from the retailers that the card was used at.
    Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    I'm just going to nip this in the bud right now. Credit card/ID threads never end well. Let's focus on the fact that the customer was taking up the issue with someone who was not in a position to make policy changes.
    In light of CS being a forum for "what is", and my comments on the matter being in the realm of "what should be", I've posted them here.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Welcome to the world of retail where anything inconvenient to the SC is illegal.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

In order to shut them down at the gate, as soon as they mention anything about "illegal" and "credit card", it might be beneficial to say, "If that's how you feel, I can only take cash at this point, and can no longer take a credit card. Again, your total is (blah blah)"

Comment

Ew, a certified EW. EWs are ew. "I could report you so bow down & lick my boots" was what she was thinking I bet. BTW welcome!
          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

We recently had someone use a card stolen out of a mail box that the thief had signed themselves. We checked the signature (which of course matched) they even gave us the card owners correct address for warranty! I had to fight with the bank tooth and nail because of all this.

Now any purchase over a certain amount we ask for ID (its not thing over here in Australia) and I am waiting for someone to get snippy... so far no one has gotten upset but I know ill end up with someone getting pissy about it.

Comment

Where I live, when you go to a certain hardware store (big franchise) and use their credit card.. they ask for your ID. They are allowed, they want to make sure the card wasn't stolen which would result in the actual owner claiming that the charges on it are false and thus, having the CC require the hardware to pay back.

They are doing their job and I like it like that.

Comment

Quoth NoMoreRetail View Post
                Sadly it is against the credit card companies rules. If you go to the Mastercard page, their is a place where you can file complaints, and one of the reasons is "store asked for ID" If a person files a complaint using that reason, the store can be fined and even loose the ability to be able to accept those kinds of cards.
                Kind of...

The current MasterCard agreement states that you cannot refuse to complete a transaction because a customer will not provide i.d. while the current Visa agreement states that you may ask the customer to provide current government identification, such as a driver's license or passport if local law permits, I really have no idea whether it's allowed here or not but if that customer was setting of my radar, I'd ask.

Comment

Folks. I previously asked for the discussion to be focused on the sucky customer, not a more general discussion on what credit card laws and polices are or aren't, and what should or shoudlnt' be done in that regard.

Any more posts along thsoe lines and this one will be closed.

Timberford....not your fault. Nothing wrong with your original post.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Seems to me she was in a bad mood because she was dumb enough to go to the wrong line, and you were fine, so she needed something to complain about. You handled it just fine.

Comment

Welcome to CS.

Sorry you had to deal with such a nasty person who made it tougher to do your job.
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

The way I would have solved the problem is by refusing her payment and have her pay with cash only. If she paid w a check you could have checked for ID as well. No ID? No purchase today.. bye bye.. NEXT!

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          The way I would have solved the problem is by refusing her payment and have her pay with cash only. If she paid w a check you could have checked for ID as well. No ID? No purchase today.. bye bye.. NEXT!
                          If only we could get away with that . . .but most places won't allow us front-line workers to do that.

Sorry you had to deal with such a nasty SC . . . they seem to come in all types. If anything they don't like is illegal, it's going to be "ridiculous" (another favorite SC term, it seems.)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Welcome, Timberford.

You often have the damned if you do, damned if you don't situations (or at least I do) .

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                            Welcome!

I'm lucky enough to work at elections in Arizona.
                            Funny thing, I ALWAYS made sure to have my ID ready when I went to vote. I always though it was a requirement, even though every time they never asked and acted like I was weird for even having it there.

Only recently did they implement a law in PA.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
                            X