This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY slow gaming

I play some games on Facebook, and one (which is highly addictive) has progressed beyond my computer's ability to play it well.

When I try to play it, it goes

rrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyyy

ffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaakkkkkkkkkk iiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

ssssssssssslllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwww wwwwwwwllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy.

(In other words, really freaking slowly.)

This means I can't play it effectively, which means I rarely play it, and I enjoy playing it.

I have an HP PC that is more than 10 years old. I had to install a new graphics card some years ago; it's an AMD Radeon 6450. The PC runs Windows 7 32bit.

Is there any way (short of buying a new graphics card or even a new computer) that I can speed things up here?

Quoth Eireann View Post
    The PC runs Windows 7 32bit.
    This is enough to tank you right there. The CPU being limited to a 32-bit OS means you have nearly no upgrade path. I think it's time to retire the machine.

Comment

If you let us know more about what kind of computer you have, we may be able to find some ways to speed it up, but at 10 years old, it's just about done. Best we can do is help you get the time you need to get a new one.

Comment

Beside the exact specs (cpu, ram, mainboard or exact computer model)

/edit removed stupid question
        Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

The computer is an HP dx7300. I added more RAM a few years ago, and I think it totals 8GB now. The motherboard threw a fit some time ago, which caused me to buy a new graphics card. The hard drive is 1TB. I also have a 4TB external drive.

Comment

Wait wait. A dx7300. As in this dx7300?

If so that's probably most, if not all of the problem right there. Even facebook games require more oomph than what what your rig can deliver.

As for the RAM, you essentially wasted your time and money. Win7 x86 (aka 32-bit) has a 4 GB cap including video RAM. Over half of the RAM you have in your system is useless.

Only thing I can suggest is back up what you want to keep, salvage what you can (which to be honest isn't very much. Maybe the internal HDD), and save up to get a replacement.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The Core 2 Duo is actually capable of 64-bit operation, but other things about the system may prevent the use of a 64-bit OS. Software makers, including browser makers, have dropped optimizations for 32-bit. Yeah, it's time to move on.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                Wait wait. A dx7300. As in this dx7300?

If so that's probably most, if not all of the problem right there. Even facebook games require more oomph than what what your rig can deliver.

As for the RAM, you essentially wasted your time and money. Win7 x86 (aka 32-bit) has a 4 GB cap including video RAM. Over half of the RAM you have in your system is useless.

Only thing I can suggest is back up what you want to keep, salvage what you can (which to be honest isn't very much. Maybe the internal HDD), and save up to get a replacement.
                Yes, that's it. I didn't get extra RAM for gaming; just to speed up the computer in general. I know some people who can build a computer for me, but the cost is beyond me at the moment.

This one looks like a good choice for an all-purpose computer. This game I play is a Facebook game - I'm not into Big Huge Epic games, just the odd game every now and then.

Okay, it's "The Last Stand: Dead Zone".

Anyway, here's the computer I just found. The description is in Czech, but the specifications are the same.

https://www.alza.cz/hp-slimline-290-...c-d5344625.htm
                Last edited by EricKei; 05-27-2019, 02:02 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

https://imgur.com/A1pZ7H3

Edit: I'm looking at the one you showed, and no, that wouldn't be a good choice. What I posted would be a great PC and ought to last you another ten years.

Comment

THEShadow, can you post a link to a site selling that computer? It's hard to see what sort of a computer it is.

Comment

This is parts. You said you had a friend who could assemble a computer for you. These are the parts I'd recommend for it.

Comment

Don't forget to add $130ish (I think) for Windows 10/Pro

The hard drives you have should still be usable if they work on SATA interfaces (if not, just get an external USB enclosure for the 1TB unit -- Under ten bucks, easy). I strongly agree with the SSD boot drive. Even an older one (mine is six years old) goes from the POST screen clearing to logged-in to Windows in under ten seconds. If you go with the M.2 SSD suggested (which are FAST), get it in there comfortably BEFORE you plug in your video card. It's the little vertical chip-slot just left of where is says ASROCK on these pics. Once inserted (~35-40 angle, gently push it down so it's parallel with the mobo and it'll fasten via one of those tiny little screws on the board there. Snag a small philips-head from a computer (or eyeglasses) repair kit to be prepared.

A note on the RAM -- the board has only two DIMM slots, and they must be filled as a "pair" of RAM sticks/two identical sticks of "DDR4 SDRAM". If you want more than 8GB RAM, you will be replacing, not adding on to, the 8 GB suggested. The issue with your current system is that, whether for gaming or not, 32-bit Windows simply cannot "see" RAM amounts above about 3.4 GB in total. The rest of it might as well not be there at all.
                        Last edited by EricKei; 05-28-2019, 05:01 PM.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ah, so that's it. The list was in tiny letters, so I couldn't make it out easily.

I'll contact my acquaintance and ask him about it. Alas, electronic equipment isn't exactly cheap here - I hope he can find some good items at a reasonable price.

Comment

You can use linux to avoid the windows tax. The way things are nowadays, unless you have to use specific applications, linux will do what you need.

Comment

What are the components that go into a desktop computer? I know that there's the motherboard, HD or SSD, RAM, graphics card, and fan - what else, apart from the tower itself?

Comment

Working...
                              X