This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These situations scare the Sh!t outta me

I am putting this little ditty here but if the Mods feel it should go else were......

Last Friday night I get an order to a regular not that far from the store. Usually some late teenage who is mostly pretty chill. I get to the house and ring the doorbell. I hear the door locks and the door opens. I was expecting the usual teenager but to my surprise the door is opened by a 2 or 3 year old.

Now this itself is not all that unusual as an adult is usually right behind them or is a short distance away. I get it the kids know the pizza man is here and all of that BUT this still happens way to often IMO.

The child now opens the screen door. I full expect an older person to show up any moment. I wait and I wait and I wait. No adult. now at this point I am slowly moving away from the door because I do NOT want to be anywhere near this child for VERY good reasons. I ask the child to please get their Mom or Dad. The child just says HI and still holds the screen door open with much determination. I ask the child again to get their parent. HI.

OK I back away from the door and head back to my car. I call the number on the ticket. no answer leave my standard voice mail message. Text the number my standard pizza text message. no response. The child is still holding the screen door open. I have now been at the address for around 5 minutes. I call my MOD for advice as my first inclination is to call the cops. MOD suggests yelling into the door to see if anyone is there. I do so and again ask the child to get their parent.

NO answer my MOD says just come back to the store although I still thought about calling the non emergency police number.

last I checked no one called and complained they did not get their order NOR did anyone return my call/text.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

The only other thing you could have done was to call the local police non-emergency# and request a welfare check at the address and explain the circumstances.

Comment

I would of asked the kid if he ordered it. Yea followed up with a call for an welfare check.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

For that matter, you could still call for a welfare check.

Comment

And in most cities those can be anonymous.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

If that kid was as young as 2 or 3 and couldn't respond to a request to get their parent with anything more than "Hi", then they were too young to be able to respond to "Did you order a pizza?" And it's pretty doubtful that a kid that small was able to do that; even if they could dial the correct number and state the order, wouldn't someone at the pizza shop be able to tell there was a really young kid on the line?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              If that kid was as young as 2 or 3 and couldn't respond to a request to get their parent with anything more than "Hi", then they were too young to be able to respond to "Did you order a pizza?" And it's pretty doubtful that a kid that small was able to do that; even if they could dial the correct number and state the order, wouldn't someone at the pizza shop be able to tell there was a really young kid on the line?
              The order was placed over the internet by I assume the teenager that usually order from that address. about 60% of our delivery orders are internet based. my company is REALLY pushing the online thing.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                my company is REALLY pushing the online thing.
                I can see why.

1) No arguing about what was actually ordered, it's all there in black and white.
                2) Doesn't tie up a staff member for 20 minutes with someone who can't make up their mind.
                3) Customers who actually do need to ask questions (e.g. allergies) can get hold of a staff member quicker.
                4) More likely to pre-pay, so less chance that the driver will get stiffed.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Do these people also pre-pay the tip, which may or may not be passed on to the driver?

Most likely, the driver will still get stiffed.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

1) No arguing about what was actually ordered, it's all there in black and white.
                    2) Doesn't tie up a staff member for 20 minutes with someone who can't make up their mind.
                    3) Customers who actually do need to ask questions (e.g. allergies) can get hold of a staff member quicker.
                    I see that you haven't been paying attention to Racket Man's post

1) They still call up complaining that you got the order wrong. When pointed out what the order says, they scream "THAT"S NOT WHAT I ORDERED!!!11!!!"
                    2) Staff now waists their time with customers calling up to change the order that they placed online.
                    3) People who need to talk with staff still have to wait. (See #1 & #2 above)
                    4) Customers are less likely to decide "I don't want it" and not answer the door, or place prank orders. Customers are still just as likely to not answer/not be home on time/not hear the knock. However, now the store can not refuse to send the order back out as it has been paid for. Probability of the driver getting stiffed on the tip has not been reduced.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I can see why.

1> csquared above said it best. I posted not long ago about an order that had a side of blu cheeses dressing. The customer wondered why their wings were. NO wings were ordered none on the ticket. well why would I order blu cheese without wings?
                      No matter they will not ackowledge their own ineptitude

2.again oooppsss I want to change my order or something.

3. maybe if there is someone to answer the phone

4. at my pizza place you can't pre-tip on-line payment with a CC. some places do allow for this but for me my chances are really the same as a phone order say about 5% possibility of a stiff.
                      Last edited by Racket_Man; 09-19-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I hope that child's parent didn't have a medical emergency and that's why they didn't answer.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          4. at my pizza place you can't pre-tip on-line payment with a CC. some places do allow for this but for me my chances are really the same as a phone order say about 5% possibility of a stiff.

Small update for my red roof pizza place. The customer now has the ability to include a pretip on internet delivery orders

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                          I hope that child's parent didn't have a medical emergency and that's why they didn't answer.
                          I Have no clue

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            And it's pretty doubtful that a kid that small was able to do that; even if they could dial the correct number and state the order, wouldn't someone at the pizza shop be able to tell there was a really young kid on the line?
                            Before puberty hit, everyone I spoke to on the phone assumed I was a woman. Who knows about this particular situation though? A kid might have the "script" for ordering pizza over the phone if he heard his parents or guardians ordering enough.

Still, I would be concerned just for the fact that this kid answered the door without anyone stopping him.
                            Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Working...
                            X