X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if we're quoting our friends:

Happiness is a warm Chihuahua.

- My friend Harvey, texted to me a few years ago while we were sitting next to each other in a booth at the bar after work. I was upset over something or other, and were having a conversation via text so the others wouldn't hear. I still have this text in my phone.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

B5 Quotes!

Well, since we're doing Babylon 5 quotes, now...

"You do not understand. But... you will."
      --Ambassador Kosh, being cryptic, as always

"A Vorlon once said that understanding is a 3-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth."
      --Captain Sheridan

"It ended the way all love ends... badly."
      --Ambassador Londo Mollari, referring to an old love affair

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 06-29-2009, 03:40 AM.
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
        "A Vorlon once said that understanding is a 3-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth."
        --Not sure who said it
        Captain Sheridan. I could find the episode if I wanted to take a few minutes.

Here's another one from B5:

"My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance." - Londo Mollari (if you don't get what he's talking about, I can explain...)
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          Red Dwarf; if anyone is as big a geek as me and feels like labeling these quotes by series and episode, feel free. XD
          Rimmer: Well, if it's not serious when your genitals can go wandering off on their own, I wonder what is?
          Seaon 2 Episode 5, Queeg (When his Holo is wonky and his body splits in tow

Kryten:
          Well, Space Corps Directive 195 clearly states that in an emergency power situation, a holo-grammatic crew member must lay down his life in order that the living crew members might survive.
          Rimmer: Yes, but Rimmer Directive 271 states just as clearly, "No chance, you metal bastard."
          Season 4, Episode 4 (White Hole), in response to Space Corp Directive 195 (Where a holographic crew member must sacrifice themselves
          Rimmer: You're about as useful as a condom machine in the Vatican.
          Season 2 Episode 5 Queeg (again, and it's Holly that rimmer is reffering to

Cat: He won't throw anything away because it reminds him of the good times he had with Rimmer! I must have blinked and missed them.

Season 7, Episode 5, Blue

Lister: Drop dead, Rimmer.
          Rimmer: Already have done.
          Lister: Encore!
          Season 2, Episode 1, Kryten, in response to Rimmer Bossing Kryten around

Rimmer: Oh ha, ha!
          Lister: Rimmer, people who say 'ha, ha' have no sense of humour, they can't think of a witty retort.
          Rimmer: (pause) Oh ha, ha!
          Season 7, episode 3 ,Ouroboros
          Cat: All in all, a 100% successful trip!
          Kryten: But sir, we lost Mr Rimmer.
          Cat: All in all, a 100% successful trip!
          Season 6, Episode 5, Rimmer World.
          Rimmer: Please rush me my portable walrus polishing kit. Four super brushes that will clean even the trickiest of seabound mammals. Yes, I am over eighteen, though my IQ isn't.
          Season 2 Episode 2 ,Better than Life
          Lister: Don't give me the Star Trek crap. It's too early in the morning.
          Season 3, Episode 6, The Last Day

Kryten: Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster. It's a common misconception, held by all truly stupid people.
          Season 5 Episode 4, Quarantine
          Lister: What's it feel like?
          Rimmer: Death? It's like being on holiday with a group of Germans.
          Seaon 1 Episode 1, The End.

Do I Win?
          I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is not try." --Yoda, "The Empire Strikes Back.
            I love answering/interrupting this quote with the one that Jay says when Silent Bob says the Yoda quote in "Chasing Amy"...

"Knock that s*** off!"

Quoth Jester View Post
            “Naturally the common people don't want war.... That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along.... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” --Hermann Goering.
            "Thomas Jefferson once said: 'Of course the people don't want war. But the people can be brought to the bidding of their leader. All you have to do is tell them they're being attacked and denounce the pacifists for somehow a lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.' I think that was Jefferson. Oh wait. That was Hermann Goering. Shoot." --Jon Stewart, hosting the Peabody Awards

Quoth Jester View Post
            "Life's a journey, not a destination." --Aerosmith.
            "Perfection is a path, not a destination." - Chiun (Joel Gray), from the movie "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins".
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

"Practice, practice practice, and once you think you are good practice more." - Forget the Athletes name

"Poor practice produces poor performance." - My JROTC Drill Instructor Major John Gardiner - otherwise unknown to me

"Screw all this civilized negotiating just blow them up" - Alien commander in Project A-ko.

"Ran: While she may be a dimwit, she is a pure hearted dimwit for justice.
              Meow: Wait was that a compliment or an insult?
              Ran: It was a very sloppy compliment" - Tsukikage Ran

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"All it took was a simple physics question: Show proof that cold fusion is not possible" - From an episode of outer limits, the psycho villain made a cold fusion bomb and was explaining how he figured it out.

"One light year is about 5878630000000 miles, the nearest star other than the Sun is just over 4 light years away. There are stars we have observed that are many times farther away than this. If we are in fact all alone this is an awful waste of space." - My astronomy professor's modification of a quote from the movie Contact

I have more but this should be good for now

Comment

More really great Doctor Who quotes...

The 7th Doctor: "Think about me when you're living your life one day after another, all in a neat pattern. Think about the homeless traveler in his old police box, his days like crazy paving."

--From "Dragonfire"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 7th Doctor: "I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... and then there's unrequited love, and tyranny, and cruelty."

--On the subject of things he doesn't like, from "Ghost Light"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 7th Doctor: "There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."

--The final lines spoken by the Doctor in the Original Series, from "Survival"

River Song: "When you run with the Doctor, it feels like it will never end. But however hard you try... you can't run forever. Everybody knows that everybody dies, and nobody knows it like the Doctor. But I do think that all the skies of all the worlds might just turn dark if he ever, for one moment, accepted. Everybody knows that everybody dies... but not every day. Not today. Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call... everybody lives."

--From "Forest of the Dead"

Tim Latimer: "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful."

--Sharing his thoughts about the Doctor, from "The Family of Blood"

"Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                --StanFlouride

Comment

see my signiture lines
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Fuck me gently with a chainsaw - One of the Heathers
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Go, Lemmings, GO! -debatable, possibly Spider Robinson

By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man--man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him. -Lazarus Long and/or Robert Heinlein

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects! -I think this is my favorite of all the sayings from The Notebooks of Lazarus Long, again Robert Heinlein.
                      Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

"Of course there is a sillicon heaven. otherwise where would all the dead calculators go?" - Kryten, Red Dwarf

And some assorted Jasper Fforde quotes:

"Good. Item seven. The had had and that that problem. Lady Cavendish, weren’t you working on this?’
                        Lady Cavendish stood up and gathered her thoughts. ‘Indeed. The uses of had had and that that have to be strictly controlled; they can interrupt the imaginotransference quite dramatically, causing readers to go back over the sentence in confusion, something we try to avoid.’
                        ‘Go on.’
                        ‘It’s mostly an unlicensed-usage problem. At the last count David Copperfield alone had had had had sixty three times, all but ten unapproved. Pilgrim’s Progress may also be a problem due to its had had/that that ratio.’
                        “So what’s the problem in Progress?’
                        ‘That that had that that ten times but had had had had only thrice. Increased had had usage had had to be overlooked, but not if the number exceeds that that that usage.’
                        ‘Hmm,’ said the Bellman, ‘I thought had had had had TGC’s approval for use in Dickens? What’s the problem?’
                        ‘Take the first had had and that that in the book by way of example,’ said Lady Cavendish. ‘You would have thought that that first had had had had good occasion to be seen as had, had you not? Had had had approval but had had had not; equally it is true to say that that that that had had approval but that that other that that had not.’
                        ‘So the problem with that other that that was that…?’
                        ‘That that other-other that that had had approval.’
                        ‘Okay’ said the Bellman, whose head was in danger of falling apart like a chocolate orange, ‘let me get this straight: David Copperfield, unlike Pilgrim’s Progress, had had had, had had had had. Had had had had TGC’s approval?’
                        There was a very long pause. ‘Right,’ said the Bellman with a sigh, ‘that’s it for the moment. I’ll be giving out assignments in ten minutes. Session’s over –and let’s be careful out there.'"

"Goodness is weakness, pleasantness is poisonous, serenity is mediocrity and kindness is for losers. The best reason for committing loathsome and detestable acts – and let’s face it, I am considered something of an expert in this field – is purely for their own sake. Monetary gain is all very well, but it dilutes the taste of wickedness to a lower level that is obtainable by almost anyone with an overdeveloped sense of avarice. True and baseless evil is as rare as the purest good –"

"I'm not mad. I'm just differently moralled that's all."
                        Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

And yet more Doctor Who quotes!

Group-Captain Gilmore: "Nothing even remotely human could have survived that."

The 7th Doctor: "That's exactly the point Group-Captain. It's not even remotely human!"

Group-Captain Gilmore: "What am I dealing with? Little green men?"

The 7th Doctor: "No, little green blobs in bonded polycarbide armor."

--From "Remembrance of the Daleks"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 7th Doctor (talking to a human): "You know, your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity in trying to destroy itself."

--From "Remembrance of the Daleks"
                          --StanFlouride

Comment

One of the Best Things Anybody Ever Said:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

--Voltaire

--StanFlouride

Comment

My all-time favorite, which I use often:

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                              "Poor practice produces poor performance." - My JROTC Drill Instructor Major John Gardiner - otherwise unknown to me
                              I use a variant of this fairly often also, I call it the "Seven 'P' Rule" and it goes like this:

Proper
                              Prior
                              Planning
                              Prevents
                              Piss
                              Poor
                              Performance
                              Last edited by AV8R; 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Came across this one this morning:

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem – neat, plausible, and wrong.
                                – H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: Second Series, 1920

There's a fine line between an admiring glance, and the piercing stare of a psychopath
                                – "Some comic", as quoted by garth1 in this post
                                I tried to google the quote to find out who said it, and all I got was the thread it came from

I'm tired...
                                -Blazing Saddles

To speak the plain truth it's getting pretty damn dull around here.
                                -Blazing Saddles
                                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-10-2009, 02:04 AM.
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X