This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandma of the Year

<bg> I work in the photo department of a drugstore. Since it is, after all, a DRUGstore, we are quite used to dealing with people who aren't all there -- stoned, drunk, just got out of the hospital, what have you.

But tonight. Tonight was one for the record books, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm working away when I notice a female person at our photo kiosk looking confused. Now she was older (not any older than me, but older than 50). Many people that come into the store around that age either: don't understand computers OR refuse to learn them. Whatever ... I'm 57, was hired into this job at 54 and I figured it out!

So I bop over to offer my assistance. She wants to scan in a photo and get a print. Okay great! I can help you with that! We scan her photo and I bring the scanned photo up on the screen. It's a picture of her 3 grandchildren and Santa (I know this because she gave me about 10 minutes of all of their geneology - who is whose daughter/son, how they're related to her, how old they all are, their grades in school, you get the idea).

Okay, so now we're down to the IMPORTANT decision ..... how do you want this print to look? Well, you see, she wants 2 of the grandchildren CUT OUT of the picture. <say WHAT?????> Okay, I do what I can, but try as I might I cannot entirely erase the entire existence of these 2 other children out of the picture. There's a little bit of the shoulder of one of them and a little bit of the chin of the other one in the picture. I can't remove that without either cutting off Santa's head, or trimming down the *treasured grandchild*'s arm.

Well SIGH "if that's the best you can do" SIGH. Okay, so I print the picture. I give it to her and she wants me to cut it. Oh no, I'm not doing that, and no I don't have any scissors. She has a box cutter, however, and starts to make cuts to completely remove any evidence of those children. WHOAA!!!!!! "You need to pay for this first".

It's a whole $0.42, but she doesn't have that! Has to use the credit card sheesh!

Anyway, after she pays, she slices and dices and wanders happily off into the sunset.

Holy crap, that is really awful Sadly happens a lot. I was browsing Facebook and came across a profile of someone I went to school with. I'd seen her on there before, but just ignored her because she's vile, bullied me at school, and when I last saw her, she still called me names (this was when we were both 23). This time, I decided to browse her wall and came across a conversation there. Basically, she was telling another woman that her kids have ruined her life and if she could go back in time, she'd never have had them. I just... what. You would actually WANT them to not exist if you could go back in time? For serious? I mean, I know it's impossible, but the very idea of that thought going through her head in the first place makes me sick to my stomach.

Comment

I wonder if these women will complain when these kids don't visit them in the nursing home.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        I wonder if these women will complain when these kids don't visit them in the nursing home.
        "We'll put you in that crooked nursing home we saw on 60 minutes!"
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          Shady Pines Ma!

Comment

Homer: "Let's put my dad in a home!"
            Lisa: "You already put him in a home!"
            Homer: "Let's put him in a home he can't get out of!"

Quoth drjonah View Post
            Shady Pines Ma!
            "Hey Ma, I hear Shady Pines is run by German's now"

This woman's future doesn't look too good right now...

Comment

"I'll be good..."
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

This creeps me out a bit. I had a customer place a birthday announcement for her granddaughter, a beautiful little girl that she positively dotes on, from what I can tell. But she also told me that she has a grandson as well, the little girl's brother. And she's never placed a birthday announcement for him, although she's done one for the girl twice now. She just kind of mentioned the boy in an offhand sort of way. I really hope she doesn't completely ignore the poor kid in favor of his sister.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  This creeps me out a bit. I had a customer place a birthday announcement for her granddaughter, a beautiful little girl that she positively dotes on, from what I can tell. But she also told me that she has a grandson as well, the little girl's brother. And she's never placed a birthday announcement for him, although she's done one for the girl twice now. She just kind of mentioned the boy in an offhand sort of way. I really hope she doesn't completely ignore the poor kid in favor of his sister.
                  That's how my mom's dad and stepmother (before she died, anyhow) were like......they seemed to favour my "Uncle Joe's" kids, particularly the two boys. (who were into/excelled at sports) Meanwhile, they didn't exactly ignore the rest of us, but my sister and I definitely picked up on the favouritism.

Comment

Be nice to your children and grand-children. They will choose your retirement home.
                    It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Perhaps the two grandchildren that she didn't want come from a child-in-law that she doesn't like, and the treasured grandchild comes from an in-law of whom she approves. Or it could be her children that she has issues with. Pretty heartless either way.
                      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

My late Wife's Grandmother had 1 kid from each generation that she would favor, and she didn't do anything to hide it. She had 1 kid that she favored, 1 grand kid, and 1 great grand kid. My wife was the 'favorite' grandkid, and she actuality hated it. It caused allot of friction between her, her sister, and her cousins while growing up that mostly didn't get resolved until everyone was around 30.
                        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

That's just not right at all. Even if one has favorites, it shouldn't be made known; that will lead to nothing but hurt feelings and resentment. All the children and grandchildren should get equal love and care. Personality conflicts and family politics are not their fault.

Granted, it's easy for me to say, since I only have one child and no grandkids yet. I sincerely hope I'll be able to hide favorites when/if I have grandchildren.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My grandmother refused to acknowledge her two oldest grandchildren because their mother is Japanese. No big loss on their part IMO, because grandma was a bitch to the grandchildren she did recognize.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              This happened to my brother, who is the ONLY grandson.

I got birthday and Christmas gifts regularly from my grandparents, uncles, and aunts. I was the oldest grand child.

Brother got nothing as often as he got something, and it was often a gift that made you ask, "Why did they bother?"

Then there was my aunt and uncle visiting my parents; I was home from school for the weekend but Brother wasn't. They were gushing about their daughter's (the 3rd grandchild who'd been heavily spoiled her whole life) boyfriend and about how he was "the grandson [my grandparents] never had."

I got pissed. "They have a grandson," I pointed out. "My Brother."

That shut them up.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X