Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're buying car parts, know what the f#$%K you drive and want.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're buying car parts, know what the f#$%K you drive and want.

I am amazed on a daily basis.
    People come into a auto parts store and can't tell me what kind of car they drive, what engine they have or what transmission they have.
    And best of all, what the hell they actually want.

I have decided that you should need a license to buy auto parts. And to gain that license you have to undergo training and pass a skills test. Now somethings we sell would not require a license, wash and wax, accessories, license plate frames and dash top Hula girls. Yes we sell those.
    But if you want something that requires me to ask you what you drive you should have to provide your Tier 1 license.
    And if you want anything that involves safety, i.e. brakes, you need a Tier 2 license and there should be no "give me the cheapest you got" option. Or if that is a option we should be required to record your name and vehicle info for transmission to a government database so if you are involved in a accident that can be traced to your cheap ass brakes you are automatically at fault.

In addition, car manufacturers should have to remove the "oil life" percentage or "oil life" mileage displays from cars. I get many people in that think that because their car says Zero oil life they need to add oil. Possibly leading to over filling the sump. And do they check the dip stick before hand? Of course not, hell some cars don't even have a dip stick.

Oh and one last thing. Don't rip open the fu#$king package and expect me to take it back because you bought the wrong thing. You asked for a brake light, I sold you a brake light. What you really needed was a back up light. "No I need the brake light, the white brake light in the back". SMH. All restaurants are Taco Bell.

PREACH IT BROTHER!!!!!!

Hood release should have a code lock, you only get the code after passing a test.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

But Johnny just warted them all together on his Cadillac...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

But I do think that the cars you're talking about all have a dip stick - behind the wheel.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
          But I do think that the cars you're talking about all have a dip stick - behind the wheel.
          Nope. That's a dipshit.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And people this freaking dumb are DRIVING!!! Kill me now.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I can manage to remember what I drive, but am clueless about car parts in general. This is why I do not do car stuff, but let more qualified people such as my husband or the nice guys at Pep Boys handle it.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

If your car is broken, take it to a MECHANIC, not the auto parts store.
                I wish we would get rid of battery and alternator testing except for warranty claims. Code reads? Sure which one do you want to buy? Wait you want me to read the codes and then tell you what magical part, that only costs $5, will fix your POS you bought at auction or the car that you do not do maintenance on?

Stop acting so damned surprised that car parts cost real money. I don't care what they cost last time you bought it. I don't care what Walmart sells them for. Yes light bulbs come in a two pack. Yes windshield wipers are sold by the each. In case you haven't noticed you have two different sized blades.
                After saying "give me the cheapest you got" don't try and justify it by telling me you are getting ready to sell the car, one, I don't believe you and two, I DON'T CARE. Thank you, have a nice day. Next customer please.

Guess what, we are not required to recite the return policy before every sale. It is posted in plain view as required by law.
                Last edited by Dave in MD; 02-02-2020, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  I can manage to remember what I drive, but am clueless about car parts in general. This is why I do not do car stuff, but let more qualified people such as my husband or the nice guys at Pep Boys handle it.
                  Ditto here. To avoid embarrassing myself by asking for the "Oh, you know, the whatsit ... the thingamagjig ... the ... um ..." I take my vehicle to the mechanic who was recommended to me when I moved back to My Hometown and who actually knows what he's doing.

Unlike me.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
                    If your car is broken, take it to a MECHANIC, not the auto parts store.
                    I wish we would get rid of battery and alternator testing except for warranty claims. Code reads? Sure which one do you want to buy? Wait you want me to read the codes and then tell you what magical part, that only costs $5, will fix your POS you bought at auction or the car that you do not do maintenance on?

Stop acting so damned surprised that car parts cost real money. I don't care what they cost last time you bought it. I don't care what Walmart sells them for. Yes light bulbs come in a two pack. Yes windshield wipers are sold by the each. In case you haven't noticed you have two different sized blades.
                    After saying "give me the cheapest you got" don't try and justify it by telling me you are getting ready to sell the car, one, I don't believe you and two, I DON'T CARE. Thank you, have a nice day. Next customer please.

Guess what, we are not required to recite the return policy before every sale. It is posted in plain view as required by law.
                    LOL he's on a roll...

I get alot of it's sooooo much more for dealer parts. With a mix of whhhyyy don't have every random nut and bolt ever made for every model car going back to Dodge brothers first in stock?
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                      With a mix of whhhyyy don't have every random nut and bolt ever made for every model car going back to Dodge brothers first in stock?
                      If you want that, buy a Mercedes. They have a policy of being able to provide every part for any Benz ever made. Sometimes it takes a long time to get them, as they may be stored overseas or might even have to be manufactured again, but they'll evidently do it!!

But you pay for that. The car, the parts, and the labor are almost always much more than the equivalents from Dodge...
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                        LOL he's on a roll...

I get alot of it's sooooo much more for dealer parts. With a mix of whhhyyy don't have every random nut and bolt ever made for every model car going back to Dodge brothers first in stock?
                        Rolling on.

One of my favorites is the Acura RL, I think it's the RL, that only comes with HID lights.
                        They buy the car knowing a headlight is out and then when I tell them the bulb is $99.99 plus tax that have a severe case of buyers remorse.

Comment

So much truth everywhere in this thread!

I did discount auto parts for many, many years and I'm terrified that some of the people I've met actually own tools.... because it means I share the road with cars they've 'repaired'.

I remember a scene in the movie 'Splash' (yes, long ago) that sums up some people I've met.... "I'll fix it, I'm a mechanic." And then the guy proceeds to start beating the f*** out of the outboard motor with a hammer.

Damn. I just realized how old that movie IS....

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
                            Rolling on.

One of my favorites is the Acura RL, I think it's the RL, that only comes with HID lights.
                            They buy the car knowing a headlight is out and then when I tell them the bulb is $99.99 plus tax that have a severe case of buyers remorse.
                            YO thous HEEDs lighs are the dopest
                            yea they are 109.99 plus 130 ea for the ballast.

What kind of car you have?
                            "red"

*cust gives life story and every detail down to the alignments of the planets when part X died. *
                            Fine what kind of car do you have?
                            a Jeep.
                            Want to narrow that down a bit?
                            huh

Oh I keep getting the wrong parts at (any/all chain parts store)
                            Ok last 8 of vin.
                            you don't need that
                            Yes I do.
                            no
                            yes
                            just it's a 15 dodge
                            Yea and depending on how it was made the pn changes and if you want the right part I need the vin.

$ for a key/fob
                            vin
                            WHY?
                            So I know what fob matches up.

oh it's $$$!!!!
                            Yea.
                            AkaiKitsune

Comment

Yeah, imagine different makes and models of car have different costs associated with any replacement parts or repairs. I have no idea how that could happen! *wants it noted that was heavily sarcastic and not genuine surprise*

I once spent the day at the mechanics when I was really young to learn basic car maintenance and things like changing a tire and basically simple stuff (that should be part of the test to get your license in the first place). He’d teach me in between customers and I’d fetch and carry.

I remember one guy going on a rant about how his girlfriend was cited a different price for a part then he was. Don’t know what the part was but considering gf was leaning against what even my ignorant ass recognized as an older model Porsche and he was driving a beat up old truck. I’d say the price was a bit different.

Why don’t they teach general maintenance in school? Like how often do you actually use the quadratic equation (despite the 4 years of being taught it), yet they consider that a “valuable life skill” over how to change your tire (so you don’t have to spend a huge amount of money to have someone do it for you or rely on the possible creep who pulls over and wants to know if you need help) or basic fist aid. I’d much rather have those skills then get another lecture on how Henry the whatsit likes to off his wives.

The previous generation seems so intent on blaming millennials for all the problems but who is the one who sets them up for failure to begin with? Short of taking out massive student loans you can’t go to school for useful things to know (vs actual career education) anymore. Gone are the days where a scholarship or grant does more then put a small dent into maybe a years tuition. Or when you could pay your student loan off by working at the same time as going to school and keeping a frugal hold of the purse strings. Is it any wonder why such ignorant self entitled idiots come from now? In a world of throw money at it they’ll figure it out magically and if not we can tell and scream like a banshee so we can at least get a discount or free stuff.
                              Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Working...
                              X