Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The guy who would not take no for an answer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The guy who would not take no for an answer.

Two or so weekends ago, one of my very first customers of the day stopped me near the key machine and held up a masterlock padlock. (This gets me overjoyed because it means if I do have to make a key of it, I can test it out immediately.) But he asks some unusual questions like 'If I give you this key, can you make it work in this lock?" That's the summatorial version of it, anyway.

It's not even a matter of suspicion at this point, though it wasn't not a factor. The simple fact is, we can't do that here.

But he doesn't believe me. He says that we should sell a little tool that lets us slam it with the key in it and turn it to rekey it. He absolutely insists upon it.

I tell him that we don't do that, and never have. He continues to insist on it. I just shake my head and walk away. No sense on wasting any time with this.

------------------

About ten minutes later, after the rest of my co-workers have entered the building and clocked in, (This was all within 15 minutes of opening.) I find out through idle casual gossip that they also got this customer.

... and another co-worker did as well.

And another.

And another.

And another.

This guy asked every single one of us this same question. I was asked over our private communication line this question twice within two minutes.

This dude was tenacious. o_o
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

I believe it was Einstein who said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." This guy is the very definition of insane!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

apparently he never saw the end of "Robin Hood: Men In Tights"

Call a locksmith!

Comment

Dude was a bit confused now, was he?

Master DOES make a 'keyable' padlock like that. But............ you have to purchase the specially designed Master 'one key sytem-UP' padlocks. You can't just do that to any old padlock. Also the re-keying punch tool costs more than your average padlock.

This would certainly not be something your average hardware store has.

Comment

As a random aside, Kwikset makes door locks that you CAN re-key at home, and the only tool necessary is a little sheet-metal tool that comes with every lock and every re-key kit.

I have them on my house, and they are awesome; no more pawing through crates of locks in the store to find a matching set, I can do a temporary re-key of a single lock for the petsitter on vacation, etc.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Call a locksmith!
            Damn, you did it before I could.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

We can rekey Master/American Lock padlocks, but there are only a few dozen models that are rekeyable. Customers keep insisting that we should be able to rekey any padlock, regardless of design. Rekeying isn't magic, unfortunately for them.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                Call a locksmith!
                Shouldn't that be...

Lockbusters!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Shouldn't that be...

Lockbusters!
                  Lol no... it's the final scene in RH:MIT.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107977/quotes?qt=qt0327112

Comment

Question

Did he want the key to be modified to work with the lock?

Or did he want the lock modified to work with the key?

Comment

People don't realize that there are different levels of locksmithing services. Copying a key is a basic thing (almost any hardware store can do it). Re-keying a lock to match an existing key (assuming the lock is one designed to be re-keyed) is somewhat more complex (Orange Apron used to do that before the Weiser "StoopidKey" system was introduced). Masterkeying ("reading between the lines", it looked like the customer in the OP wanted the lock to open for either the original key or his own, so he'd have access without it being known that he had a key - simpler to just get an extra key cut) requires a full-fledged locksmith. Rekeying a lock not designed for that (brass padlock with force-fit plugs in the pin holes, or laminated padlock that's riveted together) requires a machine shop.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X