This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn to Pass People

So twice in the past week, I've found myself almost getting lane changed into.

Last week I was heading home from the office where I go once or twice a week. That generally requires me to take the freeways. Anyway, I was in the left lane, there was somebody just in front of me to the right and someone next to him decided to move over into that lane. Fortunately I saw this and was able to tap my breaks just enough to not get hit. Sadly, that seemed to cause an accident behind me as someone hit his breaks too hard and swerved out of control.

Today I was heading into my normal workplace which doesn't require freeways and somebody started to merge into me as they were getting off the freeway. Fortunately, I saw them and was able to slow down enough to not get hit. But that person didn't even check his blindspot.

The second scenario happened to me, except I wasn't able to slow down soon enough and she hit me. Yeah, her insurance is now paying my medical bills.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Both scenarios happen to me on a daily basis.

I really miss driving to work at 10:30 pm. There was just so much less congestion and stupidity on the freeways then. Back then, only the deer were your enemy.

Now I have to go into work when everyone else is just getting off of work, and the roads are a nightmare, no one watches where they are going or merging, everyone is in their own little world.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

. Sadly, that seemed to cause an accident behind me as someone hit his breaks too hard and swerved out of control.
        And I'm betting the person behind you was NOT using the "4 second" rule for following.

This is exactly why you should do it. It gives you time to react.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          And I'm betting the person behind you was NOT using the "4 second" rule for following.
          And then you TRY to do it and people are riding YOUR ass because you're not riding the ass of the person in front of you! Gah!!!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My personal favorite is when you try to leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, and some idiot decides that they are going to pull into that space - usually at speed and without an indicator.

Comment

I love the people who are adament they are going to pass you, and just hold hands with your vehicle for miles until they finally hit the gas, then pass you just as they crest your front bumper.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

2 Seconds is all you really need, and even that's based on pre-ABS braking technology. Still, try leaving more than 2 car-lengths on a crowded motorway & someone will decide it's plenty of room for them so f*** you...
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                  2 Seconds is all you really need, and even that's based on pre-ABS braking technology.
                  um what?

2 seconds is reaction time only, where did you find those numbers?
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

More specifically, you need one second to react and one second of safety margin - *provided* your brakes work just as well as the vehicle in front. That's where the two-second rule comes from.

Four seconds sounds a bit much to me. Leaving four seconds of space would be an open invitation for two-second-rule followers to use it - after all, you would only need to drop back very slightly to maintain two seconds yourself.

Leaving extra space is justified if your brakes are in poor condition, or if you have a type of vehicle which doesn't brake very well compared to the one in front. Some older types of car can still be found with "Warning: Disk Brakes Fitted" badges on the back for that reason, because disk brakes are considerably more effective than the drum brakes used previously.

Comment

That's what it's like for me driving to work too. Every freaking day I have someone who wants to merge into my lane with me in it. I don't think people know how to use their damn mirrors. All it takes is a good look in the mirror, make sure that your blindspots are clear, USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL and then merge.

(This is my biggest pet peeve. I nearly get into an accident at least once a week because some asshat can't take the time to look before they merge. I go the speed limit since I can't get any more speeding tickets and I leave ample room in front of me and still there is someone who wants to be RIGHT WHERE I AM!)

Comment

So today, I had someone decide they wanted to be in the same space as me. Just sort of meandered over, didn't look, didn't signal and didn't hear the honk of the horn either. Oh well, at least one of us was awake.

Comment

I got my driver's side mirror clipped by another car yesterday on the way to work. Good way to get the adrenalin pumping!
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                          X