This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another job on the horizon

So, I've been working at a gas station for a little over a month now but I'm already moving onto something different. Fast Food.

Some people might think that I'm jumping ship a little quickly but in the end it just hasn't been financially feasible for me to stay at the gas station. Minimum wage and 30 hour work weeks just don't really cut it for me or my living situation. It's been great for my mental health, sure, but that just isn't enough to keep me there, and it's been financially precarious. Perhaps it I wasn't working until midnight several shifts a week and being stuck having to take a taxi home at $20 a pop each time it wouldn't be so bad, but the shifts can't really be worked around to accommodate my requirements.

Last week on Thursday, after I fully admitted to myself that the gas station job wasn't going to work out long term, I took a chance. A friend of mine treated me to lunch at a Golden Arches near where I live, and I discovered that a friend of mine had recently made management there. I asked if they were hiring and she told me to bring in a resume the next day. I did that, and was quickly introduced to the hiring manager, who then booked an interview with me for Sunday. I went in, did the interview, and then was called on Tuesday while at the gas station job with the job offer. Needless to say, I accepted it.

I did my orientation with the franchise's HR yesterday and got my uniform stuff as well. Not only will I be getting 40 hours a week, but the pay is higher than minimum wage (as is usual with the Golden Arches anyway). And when I can apply for benefits they've got an option that will work out awesome for me - it includes a GREAT dental package that will help cover a large portion of the bottom denture plate I still need.

I never thought I'd be going back to fast food so late in my life, but it's a job and I've handled worse. And I'm familiar with the location. Also, if I have to work a shift that is later than the buses run it's a much cheaper taxi ride home...although I still plan on getting the bicycle a friend offered me

My last gas station shift is tomorrow (Saturday) and I start working for the clown on Monday. I gave notice at the gas station yesterday, and if it works out that I get a fairly set schedule at my new job I may still be able to work a shift or two at the old one - I do like the gas station job but I simply couldn't make it work, no matter how many things I changed otherwise.

on your new job!

I hope everything works out well for you! (And I had NO IDEA the Golden Arches treated their staff so well ... hmmmm ...)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I hope it’s a good job! It’s worth a try.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
        Not only will I be getting 40 hours a week, but the pay is higher than minimum wage (as is usual with the Golden Arches anyway). And when I can apply for benefits they've got an option that will work out awesome for me - it includes a GREAT dental package that will help cover a large portion of the bottom denture plate I still need.

I never thought I'd be going back to fast food so late in my life, but it's a job and I've handled worse.
        Hey, if it has the hours you need plus benefits, who cares if it's fast food? As long as you can stand it, a job is a job. Good for you!
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I hadn't known that about their pay, either. My main experience with fast foodservice, aside from the pizza joint, was seeing the signs outside of FF joints right after Katrina back home -- where they were offering Full time up to 40 hours a week and up to $9/hr for workers able to start immediately, and up to $10.50/hr + a $200-400 bonus for managers. For the NOLA area, this was considered downright generous. Note that it took most of them weeks to get in enough food to operate normally, but most would at least have basic burgers and can Cokes to serve the influx of construction workers.
          Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          As long as you can stand it, a job is a job. Good for you!
          Hear, hear! ^__^
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I think it varies by region and by franchise owner how well the job pays. Up here where I am they are known to pay somewhat decently when compared to other fast food jobs. And it actually pays better than my former security site supervisor job, so that's always nice. And now that my mental health has stabilized I should be very much set for this new one!

Comment

Knowing you CAN pay your bills has to be somewhat stabilizing on it's own! Fearing where the money for bills is going to come from, or what has to be delayed to pay another one, is a horrible way to live. And I'm not talking down about living that way, I've done it myself. It just totally sucks. When my husband died, 75% of the household income left town. Bleargh!

Comment

Aye - deffo varies by region. Back in NOLA, average (meaning "realistic pay expectation") for FF jobs and many others was among the lowest in the country, and it came with one of the highest sales taxes in the nation (9.875~10% depending on exactly where you were), and an average cost of living on par with Atlanta's (which is one of the higher ones nationwide) -- and yet, ATL's average pay was ten grand more per year than NOLA's for any given job, regardless of industry.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X